Kkf just a place for knife sale profit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom Wa handle venders have disappeared because they make way less than minimum wage to make those things. Its more about the lust for seeing how nice exotic woods look.

Can't see how anyone trying to flip knives could think of it as a income stream. Maybe naïve but thought most knives on BST were bought because of knife lust, the popular maker. When they begin to stack up unload on BST.

Quite a few members on KKF now appear to question the rights of an individual (or of particular individuals) to conduct what are essentially private transactions of private property between consenting adults and turning it into a public debate over price inflation and re-sellers, which in my mind is ridiculous. Further, the cries for regulation and supervision goes to show many "adults" never really learned how to be one and expect "big brother" to make things "right" or" fair", which frankly is pathetic.

The BST forum at its essence is a place to post and view and contact other members for the exchange of secondary market knives. (Secondary being defined as pre-owned items, regardless of use/disuse/condition). Terms are to be defined on a case by case basis by the individuals involved, until a mutual agreement is reached. Bear in mind that pre-owned items are more often than not bought from a "real" vendor at retail when new, so the business that distributed and sold it already got its share of profit on that item before it ever enters the secondary market.

BST rules are clear that regulation of pricing is nobody's business and that horse has been beat to death. It cannot be simpler than "if you don't like the price, don't buy it", can it? It is baffling to me how some people feel the need to concern themselves with and complain about things belonging to other people, being bought by more other people.

I like the comparisons to vintage Rolex and classic cars. Rare, sought after, highly valued because of demand.

The same supply/demand dynamic that drives prices up on rare/desirable items is what allows many of us here on KKF to purchase secondary knives at a significant savings
. Yet I don't see anyone complain they didn't pay enough last time there was a smoking hot B/S/T deal. The vast majority of items I have seen sold in B/S/T during my time here are sold below their cost to owner and prices often continue to drop until item sells. Personally, I've "lost" money on almost every knife I've sold here, sometimes a significant amount if a knife is not popular or of a specialized use (i.e. usuba). Therefore, if I am subject to losses from devaluation, low demand and market oversupply on some knives I sell, how am I not entitled to profits when the market determines someone is willing and able the asking price?

I don’t think anyone’s asking for Katos that were bought for $400 years ago to be sold at that price. Long term price fluctuations are totally fine. People are upset about people finding deals somehow, and then immediately selling for a significantly higher price.

It strikes me that in asking for less regulation of negative comments on BST posts, I’m actually promoting a more free market than currently exists...

Cars are not knives. A knife can be BNIB if it hasn't been used. It all boils down to trust. I will trust a member until proven otherwise, or if something is very off. I am willing to take that risk in order to not suspect everyone. So far I haven't had bad transactions on BST. I also had members loan me knives for free, some of which were very expensive. Knives are not ruined by looking at them or even using them a little. Knives can be ruined by abuse or total neglect, but I haven't seen such knives being sold as new. We all want good deals, but it is unreasonable to expect someone to sell you a new knife at a steep discount just because they looked at it. A little lower sure, but very few people will try many knives if they lost significant amount just by looking or using a knife a little. The community would be poorer as a whole if knives didn't change hands as often as they do. Very few can try all these knives if they lost much on each of them. Besides what happens as the knife changes hands, do you expect it to loose same % as it changes hands?

I don’t think anyone’s asking for Katos that were bought for $400 years ago to be sold at that price. Long term price fluctuations are totally fine. People are upset about people finding deals somehow, and then immediately selling for a significantly higher price.

It strikes me that in asking for less regulation of negative comments on BST posts, I’m actually promoting a more free market than currently exists...

The existence of serial "flippers" is a problem that comes with the internet and globalization. Any and every marketplace will suffer from prospectors and flippers if the opportunity exists. Getting worked up over it, making broad generalizations about the degradation of KKF and demanding regulation from already busy mods is not the way to go. Being a smart shopper and doing your homework, and avoiding getting on any hype train ie shig/kato/honyaki etc (even TF and Kono had its moments recently) is really the only way to not be "taken advantage of".

Quite a few members on KKF now appear to question the rights of an individual (or of particular individuals) to conduct what are essentially private transactions of private property between consenting adults and turning it into a public debate over price inflation and re-sellers, which in my mind is ridiculous. Further, the cries for regulation and supervision goes to show many "adults" never really learned how to be one and expect "big brother" to make things "right" or" fair", which frankly is pathetic.

If that's your understanding, I think you're misunderstanding.

I don’t know why I’m taking the bait on this one, but I will… plus, I need an excuse for another coffee…

This isn’t a debate about price structures or what people do with their money to get something useful or make themselves happy (or both).
Rather, it’s a debate about how people with nine posts that never contribute to our discussions are using BST as a side hustle by flipping knives--using BST like an online bulletein board (think Craigslist). My thinking is that allowing a free flow of information in BST posts helps.
All societies and cultures have regulations—they can be norms or policies or laws. Regardless, there is nothing “pathetic” about discussing them. Nor is it a sign that “people have not grown up”. Quite the contrary. It’s a sign that people are invested in their community. Calling people that take a different perspective from you childish is not a counterargument (or a point); it’s just an insult and an irony.
It is baffling to me how some people feel the need to concern themselves with and complain about things belonging to other people, being bought by more other people.
Why? It shouldn’t be baffling—this is how all economies work. In fact, this is one of the fundamental ways price structures are determined over time—by people observing “things belonging to other people, being bought by more other people.”—hence the BST policy that sellers must keep their prices up and not delete them.

All economies are regulated one way or another, formally and informally. It shouldn’t be “baffling” at all that you can’t sell meth out of your driveway even if you can buy all the pre-cursor ingredients legally. It's not going to be "baffling" next week when you buy a plastic bucket made in China from the dollar store that costs $1.99 even though the Chinese producers would wish for that price to be lower but that bucket got hit with tariffs...

I think everybody overlooked what I consider the most important 4 words in the OP: "Community aspect is toast". The debate about who's legal, who's grey, who's flipping, who's shilling, etc....all this centers around BST. As does a lot of moderation.
If I had better IT mojo, I'd look at the daily % activity among all the sub-forums. If BST is way more active than all the other subs, then I would say that chinacats has a legitimate argument regarding the community aspect. It would also make me sad.
If vendors are being marginalized or are leaving, that would be a damned shame since the vendors were an integral part of the KKF community at its inception, and not just because they sold stuff.
It has seemed lately when I click on "New Posts" BST are the majority -- and often by a large margin.

I've already presented a halfway solution. Allow people to post in a sticky in a sub forum to criticize a listing, for any reason (knife sucks, price too high, used but marked as bnib, seller has a track record of profiteering, etc.). People that want to not give a **** and "free market" can do so, buyer and seller alike. People that want to "assist in the free market" by discouraging profiteering can also do so. @Matus @daveb You guys takers on this idea?
Not only is this allowed, it's been done (minus the sticky part):

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/index.php?threads/36865/

Post to your heart's content.

I don’t know why I’m taking the bait on this one, but I will… plus, I need an excuse for another coffee…

This isn’t a debate about price structures or what people do with their money to get something useful or make themselves happy (or both).
Rather, it’s a debate about how people with nine posts that never contribute to our discussions are using BST as a side hustle by flipping knives--using BST like an online bulletein board (think Craigslist). My thinking is that allowing a free flow of information in BST posts helps.

All societies and cultures have regulations—they can be norms or policies or laws. Regardless, there is nothing “pathetic” about discussing them. Nor is it a sign that “people have not grown up”. Quite the contrary. It’s a sign that people are invested in their community. Calling people that take a different perspective from you childish is not a counterargument (or a point); it’s just an insult and an irony.

Why? It shouldn’t be baffling—this is how all economies work. In fact, this is one of the fundamental ways price structures are determined over time—by people observing “things belonging to other people, being bought by more other people.”—hence the BST policy that sellers must keep their prices up and not delete them.

All economies are regulated one way or another, formally and informally. It shouldn’t be “baffling” at all that you can’t sell meth out of your driveway even if you can buy all the pre-cursor ingredients legally. It's not going to be "baffling" next week when you buy a plastic bucket made in China from the dollar store that costs $1.99 even though the Chinese producers would wish for that price to be lower but that bucket got hit with tariffs...

Hope that coffee was good, could use a cup myself :)

I see this issue being the most divisive (only divisive?) topic on KKF currently. It polarizes people, and I think that is because it has to do with fundamental views of individual freedoms and community responsibilities, markets and economies, and esp. the role "governing structures" play in that scheme. Much akin to the debate we have in our society in general, "liberal" vs "conservative". In the end, everybody is seeking the same goal: a "fair" marketplace that is in line this community's ethical guidelines. But what is "fair"? And what are the ethics that this community, and by extension BST, believes in and decides to encourage/enforce? No clear cut answer there, because there are as many people in the "private transaction" camp as the "flippers are the new scourge" camp and both sides have valid arguments.

Because you deny it or haven't read it doesn't change the fact this debate encapsulates all three topics you mention: price structures of retailers and private sellers, what choices private individuals are making with their money, and the existence of new member "flippers" who many feel take advantage of BST. All those topics have been mentioned and discussed at length on the forum, in this thread and others.

Yes, societies and cultures have norms/laws/regulations/etc... because they are in place to protect the individuals and the society as a whole from the abuses or harms caused by the excess of individual freedoms. The moral and ethical justification is the intent to balance the rights of the individual vs the safety and stability of that society.

However, in the microcosm that is KKF and BST, the potential harms to the society of allowing the "flipping" to continue are quite limited: some people do get upset but I find it hard to believe people get hurt or die from not buying a Kato or Shig because its overpriced. People get hurt and die from meth and the harms to society are real, so your comparison is foolish and false.

Something which I prefaced as my opinion; I never said discussion of this topic is pathetic. You didn't fully read or comprehend my statement. I find it pathetic how some members believe the answer to flipping is to "tell the teacher" and have more regulation and rules put in place in BST. Asking the Admins and Mods to play police so they can try and hopefully ban or discourage the people who flip is pointless because this is the internet, and usernames/emails are free and limitless. Plus, are you going to compensate for their time and effort? I see a lot of newer, non-supporting members who have a lot to say about what goes on around here. Have YOU invested in your community? Paid your dues? Put your money where your mouth is.

I already stated that profiteering and "flipping" are as old as commerce and trade itself and as long as opportunities exist, there will be unscrupulous opportunists. The internet makes it worse. I remember the $100 bottles of drinking water in Houston or New Orleans after the floods. Now that is truly evil opportunism, because it is capitalizing on peoples NEEDS. These knives are WANTS and NOBODY NEEDS a Kato or Shig or whatever hype knife. So again I ask, what are the harms to the society of KKF or in general that are severe enough to justify limiting individual rights to have transactions in private, regardless of who the individual is? Rights cannot be applied unequally; otherwise they are not rights at all.

People who cry and complain about what other people do, when it has no direct impact on their quality of life or well-being, and can't mind their own business are truly pathetic and need to grow up. If a politician does something, or your employer does something, and it pisses you off because it affects your life, you have every right to say or do whatever you feel necessary. But whining because of BST posts? C'mon.

For example, if it hurts you and upsets you enough to complain publicly that I sold my knife for $1000 when I bought it for $600, to someone who happily wants to pay $1000 for it today, you are PATHETIC and need to get a life. It doesn't matter if it was bought 6 years ago or 6 days ago. The part I find "baffling" but you didn't understand is how people are so concerned and involved (emotionally it seems, masked as ethical concerns) in the private dealings of other people, when that transaction has no direct impact on the outside party's quality of life or well-being. I understand and fully support people not liking things and having strong opinions; however, when an opinion becomes a contention that something is wrong with the society and needs systemic regulatory correction, when there are no clear harms justifying that regulation on balance, it is absurd.

You are correct, market conditions are determined by regulating factors, either external or internal. Internal is the supply/demand dynamic and external being government or social controls. However, all economies do not work how you describe; price and transaction transparency is not a fundamental characteristic of just any "economy". It is the characteristic what are considered "free market" economies. And BST is now and is intended to be a "free market" type scenario. Where prices ought to be recorded after sale. Where supply and demand ought to dictate prices. If someone does not like that price, it does not matter.

And what does an overpriced bucket from China have to do with anything?

The online kitchen knife community seems to be growing more and more each year. Seems inevitable that a competing forum will emerge that may form a different value system than this one.
Oh btw a schism in knife users is how this forum came to be. Wouldn’t surprise me if it happens again.

Hope that coffee was good, could use a cup myself :)

I see this issue being the most divisive (only divisive?) topic on KKF currently. It polarizes people, and I think that is because it has to do with fundamental views of individual freedoms and community responsibilities, markets and economies, and esp. the role "governing structures" play in that scheme. Much akin to the debate we have in our society in general, "liberal" vs "conservative". In the end, everybody is seeking the same goal: a "fair" marketplace that is in line this community's ethical guidelines. But what is "fair"? And what are the ethics that this community, and by extension BST, believes in and decides to encourage/enforce? No clear cut answer there, because there are as many people in the "private transaction" camp as the "flippers are the new scourge" camp and both sides have valid arguments.

Because you deny it or haven't read it doesn't change the fact this debate encapsulates all three topics you mention: price structures of retailers and private sellers, what choices private individuals are making with their money, and the existence of new member "flippers" who many feel take advantage of BST. All those topics have been mentioned and discussed at length on the forum, in this thread and others.

Yes, societies and cultures have norms/laws/regulations/etc... because they are in place to protect the individuals and the society as a whole from the abuses or harms caused by the excess of individual freedoms. The moral and ethical justification is the intent to balance the rights of the individual vs the safety and stability of that society.

However, in the microcosm that is KKF and BST, the potential harms to the society of allowing the "flipping" to continue are quite limited: some people do get upset but I find it hard to believe people get hurt or die from not buying a Kato or Shig because its overpriced. People get hurt and die from meth and the harms to society are real, so your comparison is foolish and false.

Something which I prefaced as my opinion; I never said discussion of this topic is pathetic. You didn't fully read or comprehend my statement. I find it pathetic how some members believe the answer to flipping is to "tell the teacher" and have more regulation and rules put in place in BST. Asking the Admins and Mods to play police so they can try and hopefully ban or discourage the people who flip is pointless because this is the internet, and usernames/emails are free and limitless. Plus, are you going to compensate for their time and effort? I see a lot of newer, non-supporting members who have a lot to say about what goes on around here. Have YOU invested in your community? Paid your dues? Put your money where your mouth is.

I already stated that profiteering and "flipping" are as old as commerce and trade itself and as long as opportunities exist, there will be unscrupulous opportunists. The internet makes it worse. I remember the $100 bottles of drinking water in Houston or New Orleans after the floods. Now that is truly evil opportunism, because it is capitalizing on peoples NEEDS. These knives are WANTS and NOBODY NEEDS a Kato or Shig or whatever hype knife. So again I ask, what are the harms to the society of KKF or in general that are severe enough to justify limiting individual rights to have transactions in private, regardless of who the individual is? Rights cannot be applied unequally; otherwise they are not rights at all.

People who cry and complain about what other people do, when it has no direct impact on their quality of life or well-being, and can't mind their own business are truly pathetic and need to grow up. If a politician does something, or your employer does something, and it pisses you off because it affects your life, you have every right to say or do whatever you feel necessary. But whining because of BST posts? C'mon.

For example, if it hurts you and upsets you enough to complain publicly that I sold my knife for $1000 when I bought it for $600, to someone who happily wants to pay $1000 for it today, you are PATHETIC and need to get a life. It doesn't matter if it was bought 6 years ago or 6 days ago. The part I find "baffling" but you didn't understand is how people are so concerned and involved (emotionally it seems, masked as ethical concerns) in the private dealings of other people, when that transaction has no direct impact on the outside party's quality of life or well-being. I understand and fully support people not liking things and having strong opinions; however, when an opinion becomes a contention that something is wrong with the society and needs systemic regulatory correction, when there are no clear harms justifying that regulation on balance, it is absurd.

You are correct, market conditions are determined by regulating factors, either external or internal. Internal is the supply/demand dynamic and external being government or social controls. However, all economies do not work how you describe; price and transaction transparency is not a fundamental characteristic of just any "economy". It is the characteristic what are considered "free market" economies. And BST is now and is intended to be a "free market" type scenario. Where prices ought to be recorded after sale. Where supply and demand ought to dictate prices. If someone does not like that price, it does not matter.

And what does an overpriced bucket from China have to do with anything?

GLWS

Pete84’s post is the embodiment of how I feel about this subject and life in general. Except for the coffee part. I hope it was cold and bitter and made your teeth brown.

Hahaha yeah it does a number on my teeth, whitening toothpaste is terrible for them but oh well gotta do what ya gotta do

McMan, hope you aren't put off by some light sparring? You picked up the gauntlet sir

Hahaha yeah it does a number on my teeth, whitening toothpaste is terrible for them but oh well gotta do what ya gotta do

McMan, hope you aren't put off by some light sparring? You picked up the gauntlet sir

Nah, you and I talking any more will go nowhere. I took the bait this afternoon.
I will say this, though: Don’t feel that you can be disrespectful to me simply because you disagree with me.

Breitbart? You are laughable, don't pretend you know me

Disrespect? Anyone who can read can see it all for themselves. I never said anything about you sir. And again, you are the one who picked up the gauntlet. Sorry you can't handle it

The online kitchen knife community seems to be growing more and more each year. Seems inevitable that a competing forum will emerge that may form a different value system than this one.
Oh btw a schism in knife users is how this forum came to be. Wouldn’t surprise me if it happens again.

I’m continually impressed that there seem to be multiple “first posts” every day.

Curious to know how many “last posts” there are a day.

Be careful what you say, he has a knife!

And so does he!

And her!

And the guy over there!

Screw it -- I despise people who score a desirable product and then turn right around and sell it for a lot higher price to the people in the 'community' they are supposedly part of. I deal with it by not interacting with those asshats. Easy enough. Except when I hit "New Posts", and most of what I see are FS posts, with several of those types of listing included. I have zero issues with people who bought a knife, and values of that maker's work have climbed a lot, so when they eventually go to sell they can sell for more than they paid. But go and snatch a handful of knives from a maker that is in demand, and then turn around and list them for 25-50% more, and you are nothing but a piece of poop in my book -- and you definitely are not part of any 'community' I want to be part of. It isn't just here -- I see it on some watch and car forums as well, and ignore those people (frankly people like that never seem to contribute any usable content to the forums anyway). The frustration is when the forum software does not allow one to 'ignore' specified members. I wish all forum software had 'ignore' features that could not be disabled by the forum owners.

Ah, I feel better now.

Yes, pieces of poop. Pieces of poop, unfortunately, are a fact of life. Should we allow them to dictate the rights and privileges of the rest of us who respect the rules and are playing fairly in ways most would consider "ethical"?

Yes, pieces of poop. Pieces of poop, unfortunately, are a fact of life. Should we allow them to dictate the rights and privileges of the rest of us who respect the rules and are playing fairly in ways most would consider "ethical"?
While they do not dictate anything, I believe it has impact the spirit of the forums and driven some long-time members away. In talking with some others, their views are similar to mine -- KKF seems at times to be more about selling that anything else.

While they do not dictate anything, I believe it has impact the spirit of the forums and driven some long-time members away. In talking with some others, their views are similar to mine -- KKF seems at times to be more about selling that anything else.

I think this really hits at the heart of what it's about. What do the owners and administrators of the forum want KKF to be? This is the most important question. If they want it to be a specific type of community, then they have to set policies and guidelines that will work towards that goal. If they want it to be entirely user driven, then not setting any policy or guidelines will achieve that goal.

Back