Kkf just a place for knife sale profit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's w this we ****?

I happen to enjoy this thread...almost as much as i enjoy trashing you for your obvious interest which you've denied multiple times. Guess you just enjoy reading/commenting about things you have no concern with?

Do you actually have a viewpoint on this or just a bad attitude about life in general? Oh sorry, I'm sure it's simply "free market, love it or leave it..."

Peace

Last edited:
Man this thread is wild. I've been part of several forums with BSTs, and it seem inevitable that big money players comes in that change up the dynamic of trading/selling, and can definitely affect how members interact with the forum/community.

Holy ****. We can’t say d*****bag in this forum?

Lol. Just saw this! It there a thread by the mods on officially banned words? Honest question. I remember getting scolded by a mod years ago for mentioning some midwestern takeout knife dealer.

Lol. Just saw this! It there a thread by the mods on officially banned words? Honest question. I remember getting scolded by a mod years ago for mentioning some midwestern takeout knife dealer.

Yes! They are:

and

Mr. ****-***-******

I'm pretty sure it still blocks their URL.

Speaking of tech. I'm sure some techie can design a BST app that when someone posts a knife for sale, if it's over-price, it automatically corrects it to 35% below retail. Just like 'auto-correct" for spelling. Shig posted for 1k, will sell for 500. [Said jokingly, as sellers would revolt.]

My Kato WH would sell for $358.

Reactions: ian
No techie in the world can design an app that figures out retail price without current retail sales or design an app that can figure out what is overpriced and by how much. This is not a mathematical problem and as such cannot be solved by current computers. You can collect data and make models, etc but at the end of the day some human would have to figure out if it makes sense. Then you still have to find a human to agree to sell for this theoretical price and another to buy..... After this you will have to retrain your models to include more recent sales. At the end you will be no better off than when you started in a meantime wasting a bunch of money.

No techie in the world can design an app that figures out retail price without current retail sales or design an app that can figure out what is overpriced and by how much. This is not a mathematical problem and as such cannot be solved by current computers. You can collect data and make models, etc but at the end of the day some human would have to figure out if it makes sense. Then you still have to find a human to agree to sell for this theoretical price and another to buy..... After this you will have to retrain your models to include more recent sales. At the end you will be no better off than when you started in a meantime wasting a bunch of money.

Agreed. My post was a joke. One person’s unicorn is another’s donkey. It’s like when someone gets a house valuation, much based on comps, but that model not entirely accurate.

Some knives are a buyers market, with some it’s a sellers market. Can change at an instant. If Kato announced that he’d been quietly working, and released 2000 gyutos selling for $450—prices of Katos on BST would take a nose dive.

There’s bluebooks for all sorts of things these days not just vehicles, but records, bikes etc...
It’s not too crazy to imagine a knife bluebook.

If someone respected, void of conflicts, puts time and expertise into it, it’ll become an instant reference point for many. IMO

Though it’s such a niche market, that anyone doing a Kitchen Knife Blue Book, would likely be doing it as a labor of love. No pun intended.

One word: AI

There. Done. See how simple it is? ;)

There’s bluebooks for all sorts of things these days not just vehicles, but records, bikes etc...
It’s not too crazy to imagine a knife bluebook.
A genuine question, do people still use blue books? I haven't been able to sell a car or buy a car at blue book since Internet became a thing. I ignore it these days, for cars. Popular cars don't match it, unique, rare cars don't match it. Maybe unpopular common cars, but I guess I haven't been interested in those.

Last edited:
Let sleeping dogs lie. I'm new enough here to have missed the origins of some of the bad blood held by some.

As Steven Seagal famously said: "I'm just a (home) cook."

I love what that cook can do in that movie.

If someone respected, void of conflicts, puts time and expertise into it, it’ll become an instant reference point for many. IMO

Though it’s such a niche market, that anyone doing a Kitchen Knife Blue Book, would likely be doing it as a labor of love. No pun intended.

For Shigs I have a database of over 750 sales, kato only 125. Check my gallery page for occasional stats..

Latest posts

Back