KKF Massdrop IV - 田中義一 🇯🇵

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote all who utter “I’m in” post instructions on how and when to enter are automatically excluded, or put into the NIH of the fight to the death tournament.
interesting-intrigued.gif

Hey @RockyBasel and @nakiriknaifuwaifu do you know what kind of handle Jobone will be making for this project?

Glad you asked. Not decided, but forgive me if I say this - I just don’t like ebony.

NKW and I are toying with the idea of perhaps having 2 handle choices, one cheaper (ebony) and perhaps one $20-30 more - Tasmanian Blackwood, desert ironwood, snakewood, Siamese rosewood, etc. something more exotic

Nothing stabilized!

Inputs are welcome

Glad you asked. Not decided, but forgive me if I say this - I just don’t like ebony.

NKW and I are toying with the idea of perhaps having 2 handle choices, one cheaper (ebony) and perhaps one $20-30 more - Tasmanian Blackwood, desert ironwood, snakewood, Siamese rosewood, etc. something more exotic

Nothing stabilized!

Inputs are welcome

Love the idea of a standard and upgraded option. Snakewood would be amazing, the lines in the wood echoing the lines in the wrought iron.

As someone who missed the previous 3 drops, I appreciate the synopsis of what I can expect this season of carrot dangling.

I guess at this point it turns into a few episodes of DBZ, but with people saying “I’m in” instead of charging kamehame

Nothing stabilized!

Inputs are welcome
Ebony sucks, too heavy and slippery when made to look good.

Nothing stabilized!

Inputs are welcome

Love the idea of a standard and upgraded option. Snakewood would be amazing, the lines in the wood echoing the lines in the wrought iron.

Snakewood my personal preference- still getting pricing established - trying to keep costs low…let’s see

Ebony sucks, too heavy and slippery when made to look good.

Just please nothing too gaudy.
1653160090026.png

The Three Mass(drop)kateers @RockyBasel, Evan of Strata Portland (@Smashmasta), and I (NKW) are very pleased to officially announce Massdrop IV:

🎉Tanaka Yoshikazu 🎉

Rocky and I have been working with Evan at Strata to design a unique knife for KKF.
We wanted to work with a Japanese smith this time because the last 3 drops featured western smiths - Dalman the Viking, Kamon the Austrian, and King Jannis.

Evan came up with the idea of a wrought iron cladding – which we could not find in Japan, so Evan was able to source billet from the UK with Topp & Company. Topp & Co smelt and roll some of the best (and perhaps the only "new") wrought iron in existence, used to restore many historic landmarks such as Castle Howard and Westminster Abbey.

In terms of who had the skills to forge this – who else could handle such a large and complex order but the one and only Y. Tanaka-san.

Evan teamed up with Daisuke-san from Kawamura Hamono (son of the CEO) and Evan and Daisuke-san had many meetings with Tanaka-san to discuss the concept of making a world class Japanese steel knife for KKF using Western wrought cladding. Kawamura Hamono, as you may know, is Sakai Kikumori.

Tanaka-san was intrigued, challenged, and excited by this project – but he formally agreed only after he personally tested the wrought iron billet from Topp & Co. to ensure high quality materials.

The knife – think wrought iron clad Kaiju – WH profile. Core steel – Tanaka-san’s signature Blue 1 Japanese steel

We also asked Evan to get Daisuke-san to create the smith exchanges we all love. In this case, while he isn't fluent in English, we have agreement to get videos of Tanaka-san making the knife and perhaps Daisuke-san talking to him and interpreting. So while it may not be the same as we have had with western smiths – you will get to see your knives being made by Tanaka-san!

On to the specifications...

:dancingcow: Knife Details :dancingcow:

Style: Gyuto

Smith: Tanaka Yoshikazu

Sizes (2) and No. of Pieces:

10 knives with 225mm true edge length
15 knives with 250mm true edge length

We have requested tall heel height, approximately 55-57mm.

Prices: TBD (Approximately 800USD)
Due to of the complexities and risk of loss inherent to working with wrought iron, all knives will be hand-laminated by the master smith himself.

Construction:
Sanmai - Wrought Iron x Aogami #1
Convex workhorse grind with Sakai distal taper
Full polish
Extra Height

Sharpener:
given the high profile nature of this project – could be one of 2-3 top sharpeners in Sakai. Being considered Myojin, Takada no Hamono, etc. This is always murky in Sakai - as you already all know. We will let Evan also share more on the forum about our journey to make this happen. He will be chiming in as well. Hopefully Daisuke can also say a few words to us.

//

These knives will be sold through Strata – we will get a discount due to massdrop – but purchasing and shipping will be through the shop. For any of you who have shopped from Evan at Strata – they run a great operation. It’s a pleasure to work with them on this.

This is the first time such a project has been undertaken, and we are very thankful to Tanaka-san, Evan, Daisuke-san, and everyone involved in this project.

This will be a one-of-a-kind knife for KKF, never to be repeated again. All of you who are pining and willing to pay $2K for a Kaiju - well, here is your chance at getting something even more unique!

- NKW, @RockyBasel, and @Smashmasta

Edit: due to the extremely high level of interest, we will aim to open this drop within the next 10 days. Please stay posted for further details!
This sounds amazing. Once the drop is opened it will be a random raffle for who is entered correct?

How about some elforyn super tusk monopiece handles? Distinctive material without being gaudy, should patina in time alongside the cladding and could take engraving well if people want to spring for someone to do that eventually 😉

I've never head of that before but dang that stuff's pretty cool actually. If only I knew how to make handles lol

What’s the difference between ironwood and snakewood other than the pattern? I haven’t try the snakewood but do have desert ironwood, one the the best handle I’ve tried.

Nothing stabilized!

Inputs are welcome
I'm a fan of his toasted Osage. Grippy and survives kitchen moisture very well

Holy CR%^& I leave to attend a high end audio show for a few days and then THIS breaks loose....too good I was not tempted by anything at the show (well expect for perhaps a Tedeska cartridge), so I may have some pocket money left for this one.....is there a name for a novelty unicorn?

Back