KKF Massdrop IV - 田中義一 🇯🇵

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the tariff code indeed used for VAT? or just for tariffs aka import duties the way I know it?
Other than that I'm pretty sure the code is assigned following a clear logic and it IS a knife so I am not sure you can ever end up in 'hand decorated manufactured articles' but that aside....

If VAT follows the tariff we should ship straight to EU from Japan as there is likely NO tariff in place.
https://www.eu-japan.eu/sites/default/files/imce/library/epahandbook_2021.pdf
Problem is that VAT is defined differently, and our tax dept tells me that I need to pay VAT over the total value of goods, shipping and handling and duties (if any), and the categories of which VAT percentage needs to be paid do not mention anything like a tariff code but that is a simple list stating 'you pay 21% unless and then a few exceptions without 'sharp pointy objects' listed as exception,

Reactions: Sdo
Is the tariff code indeed used for VAT? or just for tariffs aka import duties the way I know it?
Other than that I'm pretty sure the code is assigned following a clear logic and it IS a knife so I am not sure you can ever end up in 'hand decorated manufactured articles' but that aside....

If VAT follows the tariff we should ship straight to EU from Japan as there is likely NO tariff in place.
Problem is that VAT is defined differently, and our tax dept tells me that I need to pay VAT over the total value of goods, shipping and handling and duties (if any), and the categories of which VAT percentage needs to be paid do not mention anything like a tariff code but that is a simple list stating 'you pay 21% unless and then a few exceptions without 'sharp pointy objects' listed as exception,
This is not possible. Tax man does not sleep. At least in the EU.

Lik @Sdo says, you will pay VAT unless someone makes a mistake. In my neck of the woods, the base VAT is 25% and I usually calculate price +30% to take customs and handling fees into consideration. In the few cases it becomes cheaper, I get a positive surprise and go on with my day.

No, and we may never know.

I would assume it’s the same as either Sakai Kikumori or the JNS sharpener.

You have to assume Takada/Myojin/‘Kyuzo’ would have restrictions on putting out non brand knives with him. Similar to the Fujiyama/Kaiju shortage is by Konosuke’s choice.

Although Mitsuaki Takada seems like the kind of guy who wants as many people as he can to try his work, AND he has his own company… who knows.

Either way I’m excited to see these when they come out

I would assume it’s the same as either Sakai Kikumori or the JNS sharpener.

You have to assume Takada/Myojin/‘Kyuzo’ would have restrictions on putting out non brand knives with him. Similar to the Fujiyama/Kaiju shortage is by Konosuke’s choice.

Although Mitsuaki Takada seems like the kind of guy who wants as many people as he can to try his work, AND he has his own company… who knows.

Either way I’m excited to see these when they come out
No, there are Tanaka/Myojin, Tanaka/Kyuzo, and Tanaka/Takada knives available through multiple brands.
Kikumori has worked with different sharpeners. They may not be allowed to market it as such though.

No, there are Tanaka/Myojin, Tanaka/Kyuzo, and Tanaka/Takada knives available through multiple brands.
Kikumori has worked with different sharpeners. They may not be allowed to market it as such though.
Well I knew that was the case for Takada (Hitohira, Konosuke and Takada no Hamono) and I guess for Kyuzo (Voldemort.com’s Tanakas) but Myojin does too?

I guess it’s just the brand numbers, and also probably why Yohei and Kyuzo are a thing lol

My money is on Nomura-san. If there's a hint of bead blasting there will be trouble.....

All I know, given the high profile of the project, and tanaka san’s personal emotion and interest in this project - the sharpener will be a premier sharpener - as a high level of skills will be needed given the WI cladding
We will try and find out - but we may never know directly, but some sharpeners have a style that we might be able to decipher

But the names that keep being mentioned are myojin and Takada -‘but who knows

We will find out soon enough

Takada isn't doing the handle.... And sharpener hasn't been revealed so....

I have some grandsons between the ages of 4 and 8 I'd volunteer.*

*For a knife 😎
I meant Tanaka of course but had Takada on the brain. 🤣

And I have a 5 yr old granddaughter that could help...

Depending on the shipping method Evan (@Smashmasta) uses, there can at least be some certainty at shipping time on the customs/duties. For example, UPS Standard is a bill the customer method as opposed to UPS Worldwide Expedited includes the duties/etc up front in the shipping cost. I would always prefer the latter rather than the former.
Yes, we can ship UPS or DHL (or Fedex and USPS). @Knivperson @Whit3Nitro @MarcelNL We can talk about customs if you email us.

All I know, given the high profile of the project, and tanaka san’s personal emotion and interest in this project - the sharpener will be a premier sharpener - as a high level of skills will be needed given the WI cladding
We will try and find out - but we may never know directly, but some sharpeners have a style that we might be able to decipher

But the names that keep being mentioned are myojin and Takada -‘but who knows

We will find out soon enough
Takada’s finish is sick although Myojin’s grind is performing extremely well. Both would be great but I still hope it’s gonna be Myojin because he grinds Kaiju. With the workhorse profile and Myojin grind and full polish we could say this is Kaiju Massdrop, right?

Back