KKF Massdrop IV - 田中義一 🇯🇵

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just signed up… I was under the impression it wasn’t going to open for another few days! So if I’m reading this correctly, they will be doing a random draw from these sign ups? I’m new to the massdrop game!

Yes Random - driven by the particles from the Universe - according to NKW

Since this is your first time, feel free to Get your hopes really high on this one🙃

Since this is your first time, feel free to Get your hopes really high on this one🙃

Ohhh that’s the mistake I’ve been making.

I’ve been assuming I had 0 chance and had decided I would take my pleasure my putting the idea of carrot tangling kanji and no horny ferrules for other peoples knives 🧐

I look forward to my new-found optimism landing me the lottery 😁

It's a little cliche, but can't think of a more appropriate name for this knife than Godzilla or Gojita in Japanese.

You know, keep the monster theme going🙈

Out of curiosity - may I ask what it is about stabilized wood people don't like in handles?

I mostly work with non-stabilized woods personally, and tbh sometimes it's a right f-ing faff, I mostly use it because it's cheaper (free) and I don't have a stabilizing chamber. But when I do use stabilized pieces I quite like the results. I'd be interested to hear why others don't...

So did anybody set up some rebound buys if one doesnt get the golden ticket? I have a couple of jnats on the horizon. 😁

Remember, knives and stones bought with the money that should have gone to the MD are kinda free.
The Tetsujin in BST right now is pretty tempting, there is also a Tanaka x Kyuzo at Tosho right now.

Out of curiosity - may I ask what it is about stabilized wood people don't like in handles?

I mostly work with non-stabilized woods personally, and tbh sometimes it's a right f-ing faff, I mostly use it because it's cheaper (free) and I don't have a stabilizing chamber. But when I do use stabilized pieces I quite like the results. I'd be interested to hear why others don't...
Personally stab handle materials aren't readily available in my region, also our wa handle makers have had bad experience( bad material). but i'm sure some makers make them right.

Its all subjective but to me stabilized wood feels dead and plasticky in hand. When wet, grip is poor.

The feel is overly smooth and artificial. I’m fine with it on shorter knives like 180s I use for quick preps, and in fact I love the visual effects that can be achieved with some dyed and stabilized woods. But for practical purposes I wouldn’t really want stabilized on a larger knife that I use for longer preps especially ones where my hands might get wet or slippery or I need a firm grip for applying extra force.

The feel is overly smooth and artificial. I’m fine with it on shorter knives like 180s I use for quick preps, and in fact I love the visual effects that can be achieved with some dyed and stabilized woods. But for practical purposes I wouldn’t really want stabilized on a larger knife that I use for longer preps especially ones where my hands might get wet or slippery or I need a firm grip for applying extra force.
Could it be the finish on the particular handle that you dislike as opposed to the stabilization? I find that stabilized wood still has the same feel as nonstabilized wood (still has the same grain, but doesnt shrink and swell as much). However, if you coat a piece of wood with boiled linseed oil or tru oil, it might cover the wood grain and feel "plastic-y". Or if the wood is sanded to a very high grit to bring out the look of the wood, that can feel very smooth compared to say a rough sand on ho wood. Maybe try knocking down the finish on your handle with some 220 grit sandpaper and see if that changes things.
In addition to the above stabilized wood is usually very heavy, so depending on the knife can mess up the balance and overall weight.
I agree with this in general. Stabilized wood tends to be similar density to heavier woods like ironwood or blackwoods. The actual density depends on the specific wood though. So that's definitely something to consider.

Could it be the finish on the particular handle that you dislike as opposed to the stabilization? I find that stabilized wood still has the same feel as nonstabilized wood (still has the same grain, but doesnt shrink and swell as much). However, if you coat a piece of wood with boiled linseed oil or tru oil, it might cover the wood grain and feel "plastic-y". Or if the wood is sanded to a very high grit to bring out the look of the wood, that can feel very smooth compared to say a rough sand on ho wood. Maybe try knocking down the finish on your handle with some 220 grit sandpaper and see if that changes things.

I agree with this in general. Stabilized wood tends to be similar density to heavier woods like ironwood or blackwoods. The actual density depends on the specific wood though. So that's definitely something to consider.

Very possible that it’s just the one stabilized example I have that’s not great. And you’re definitely right that any finish that builds up like BLO or polyurethane/varnish combos will have a plastic feel.

The final result in addition to the wood used depends on the resin and to some degree on the process that were used. Being slippery and plasticky is worse when finished to high grid, which seems to be the default of many handle makers. This is most likely due to wanting to bring out the beauty of the wood, but it interferes with the usability even though visually the results can be strikingly beautiful.

What does his wrought iron look like?

It depends - it can look differently depending upon the treatment by the sharpener - but Halcyon Forge makes a lot of wrought iron Gyuto’s - here is another rentetsu (wrought) clad beauty

But we will know in a week or two when the first of the knives is created as a test sample

Here is a rentetsu example:
2B31195B-7E38-4C22-84C0-03E21B468340.jpeg

It depends - it can look differently depending upon the treatment by the sharpener - but Halcyon Forge makes a lot of wrought iron Gyuto’s - here is another rentetsu (wrought) clad beauty

But we will know in a week or two when the first of the knives is created as a test sample

Here is a rentetsu example:
View attachment 181602
photo/knife credits:

https://www.instagram.com/knife.knackery/

but yes the impurities in the wrought iron give rise to the grain, so the look of wrought depends on how much impurity is in the steel and how the material has been worked.
we won't know what it'll look like till the knives are made.
exciting, no?

I think my Mazaki bbq santoku might have a stabilized handle. And I only say that because of the brightness I want to say it feels like wood and I don't think I have had a grip issue with it. I use it a lot. But I know for sure my others are not as I treat them periodic ly with the beeswax etc.

I just want a wa Oct wood handle that is appropriate for the knife and some balance, I don't mind if the balance is forward some. But most of mine are pretty well balanced as is. My maz suji is the only one non octagon wa I have it is either a wa d or heart.

but yes the impurities in the wrought iron give rise to the grain, so the look of wrought depends on how much impurity is in the steel and how the material has been worked.
we won't know what it'll look like till the knives are made.
exciting, no?

No. The look of it is heavily dependent on what you cut. Its very reactive, this isn’t 1024 layer stainless damascus.

Random thought: if each piece is unique, and a knife like this doesn't exist otherwise, then shouldn't each knife be numbered with kanji on the tang? Imagine: a particularly numbered (or run of numbers) knife becomes mystical, able to be parted with only in the rare case the owner has the courage to put it up for sale.

Hey all,

Update on signups:
All of those who sent me an order should have received a confirmation message OR a request to resubmit with proper format.
Sorry for the few days' delay - I've been under the weather lately.

After signups close next week (5/30, 11:59 CST), I will post a list of all users who signed up along with their information.
Please check that list: you will have 24 hours from the time of posting to make any relevant changes.
If I somehow missed your message - please reply back to the original message sent before the time limit and I will add you back in (this does not apply to people resubmitting incorrectly formatted PMs).

Thanks,
NKW
@RockyBasel
@Smashmasta

Last edited:
Back