KKF Massdrop IV - 田中義一 🇯🇵

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure the Masskateers, Evan, and Sakai Kukimori completely over looked this type of detail because they’ve never done this before… obviously they need our cumulative help.
Great snark and all. I assumed someone was actually involved.

I once commissioned weird stuff and I had to pay for both blanks and sharpening of all duds, even though normally the smith will replace blanks and the sharpener won’t charge for a halfway done knife. That increased the price per good one a lot, which is why I wondered. It was a set of five knives but I basically paid for ten.

I wasn’t actually doubting anything, just wanted to know what kind of agreement there is and how pricing works, which is probably information that shouldn’t be on here in the first place. So nevermind, I had no business commenting here anyway.

Great snark and all. I assumed someone was actually involved.

I once commissioned weird stuff and I had to pay for both blanks and sharpening of all duds, even though normally the smith will replace blanks and the sharpener won’t charge for a halfway done knife. That increased the price per good one a lot, which is why I wondered. It was a set of five knives but I basically paid for ten.

I wasn’t actually doubting anything, just wanted to know what kind of agreement there is and how pricing works, which is probably information that shouldn’t be on here in the first place. So nevermind, I had no business commenting here anyway.
I hope that was agreed upon beforehand. I ordered a wrought clad knife and the first one split in quenching. Didn’t need to pay for it, but if it’s agreed upon to beforehand and it’s an exotic request it makes sense.

Kosuke (from Konosuke) actually did post some bit about how they would pay sharpeners for blanks that had cracks (which was atypical) which is sensible because it’s not in their control.

IMO assuming it’s a makers normal material, it definitely makes sense to just increase the price according to failure rate rather than per failure so you’re not gambling on someone’s work

IMO assuming it’s a makers normal material, it definitely makes sense to just increase the price according to failure rate rather than per failure so you’re not gambling on someone’s work

Agree with this - typically when we order a custom knife, that’s the price you pay regardless of how many times the blank cracks and fails during forging.

If the order was unusual for Tanaka, I expect that would be cause for him to discuss special terms with the massketeers. Since he was forging out a test knife first, I suspect that initial effort was informing his price too.

Aw man wish I was picked on the lotto. Oh well can't have everything. Have to be checking BST like a hawk and maybe someone will sell theirs for what they bought it for.

Reminds me of a tetsujin metal flow but more going on in the cladding of course

Aw man wish I was picked on the lotto. Oh well can't have everything. Have to be checking BST like a hawk and maybe someone will sell theirs for what they bought it for.

Reminds me of a tetsujin metal flow but more going on in the cladding of course
Check the New Mexico prefecture. but he does his in WH. He might be willing to do blue, but he has his WH process down with the wrought.

Last edited:
Beautiful. The name for this finish should be 嵐雲, arashi-gumo: stormcloud.
0EB15451-8F62-4CC1-9B35-E48B852D0632.jpeg

OMG! I will admit I put my trust in the masskateers, I was not the biggest fan of most wrought iron I had seen. That is beautiful. Well done guys. Put my vote in for the name ”arashi-gumo”

Back