Knife at the top of your list...what is it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had an unlimited budget, the list would probably be 'one of each'... Within my budget, I am still thinking about the Watanabe kaibou.

Stefan

I Think a more showy Custom piece from Pierre or Dave would be killer.

To get the knives from the people I am on a wait-list for (no pressure guys, I am patient) that's it. But those are some big name guys. Plus I already have my bat mobile aka my kramer.

I think the Kochi is a great buy. I was using Jon's the other day. I thought it cost a certain amount but when I saw how much he sold it for I thought it was honestly a good value. Seriously out performs the Moritaka (honestly you cant compare the two) and takeda's can be inconsistent/not something I would use day to day in a pro kitchen, I could easily do it with a kochi. Very nice Knife.

I'm just starting to replace my German, French, Brazilian and Chinese hardware with good (or even better) Japanese blades. I need utility over frivolity or looks. A shironiko petty would probably be the wisest choice for me, but I'd also like to expand my skill set. My big gyuto can do 90% of what a nakiri could, and a petty could handle almost anything I'd use a honesuki for. My German slicer will hang around for a while to take care of some chores, so a nice suji is later on. I also think the gyuto can do a lot of fish duties as I learn more about sushi prep.

All that said, I want an usuba. :D

I'm with you on the a-type! I wish I could find a left handed one to trade my Nogent for.

Devin Thomas damascus wa-gyuto:

89764_1_b.jpg

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=89764&photo=1&size=n

Rick

I had no Idea you could forge weld PM steels.I guess the top of my list would be a billet of chevron pattern PM steel to make my own knife with.

Rodrigue wa gyuto 270mm being made. Devin Thomas on my wish list in feather Damascus. Randy makes some beautiful knives too.

I had no idea you could make 3v/cpm154 dammy either. That is some insanely different wear characteristics, esp if it's 61+. Wonder if he was going for the self-sharpening thing with that one.

I'm twisting Marko's arm to make me a gyuto and petty, and to secure me a cleaver from Devin. Once I have these things, I should be content for a good long while.

If I had to choose something off the shelf right now? Probably a Takeda gyuto.

Gesshin Hide 195mm Deba in blue #1 may be next for me.

I think a Gesshin Ginga 270mm shironi gyuto is at the top of my list, maybe next week. Then a 240 and 300 yanagiba, 300 sujihiki, 210 petty, maybe a hankotsu, this list could probably be fairly long.

The top of my impractical list is a Doi Itsuo/Keiji matched pair.

Scratch what I said before actually. I'd be very keen to try out some of those Jin knives that Jon carries, maybe further down the line or after I sell some stuff :knife:

With unlimited funds, I'd say a Michael Rader custom. Seeing as that whole unlimited part is a bit of an issue though, my current mood is for a nakiri, so the bigger question is save up for a Heiji or indulge sooner and pick up something cheaper like a Yoshihiro or Zakuri.

I think the Kochi is a great buy. I was using Jon's the other day. I thought it cost a certain amount but when I saw how much he sold it for I thought it was honestly a good value. Seriously out performs the Moritaka (honestly you cant compare the two) and takeda's can be inconsistent/not something I would use day to day in a pro kitchen, I could easily do it with a kochi. Very nice Knife.

I just got one of those Moritaka french gyutos from Mark the other week, and i must say, Im not all that impressed. I've been very interested in a Kochi for a little while now, and if I end up getting a gyuto this time around it will most likely be one...or a Ikkanshi Tadatsuna.

But I really want to pick up a single bevel, so I might have to go a yanagiba...oh decisions, decisions
Scratch what I said before actually. I'd be very keen to try out some of those Jin knives that Jon carries, maybe further down the line or after I sell some stuff :knife:

I'd love to get my hands on one of those Jins as well, but with a $1000 price tag I dont see that happening anytime soon :(

I need a parer, and I think I'm going for the Suisin Inox Western. After that I'm thinking of these pretty hard right now...

1. 210 Suisin Inox Honyaki Deba
2. 270 Gengetsu Gyuto

I enjoyed Takeda, Konosuke HD, Tanaka VG and Blue, Hattori hd, Shgefusa, Devin Thomas , Carter
I like Shige and DT, the are equally
Perhaps I am missing Masamoto KS full of happiness :happy1:

The shop owners in Tokyo (and I imagine in NYC, SoCal and everywhere else) let you take as much time as you need, handling every knife you want to handle, until you are so confused that you just buy the prettiest, most expensive thing in the shop. :D

I will go to Kappabashi in a couple of weeks with my mind made up to play with a Kono HD petty and suji, an A-type petty, suji and honesuki, and any number of white-2 nakiris and usubas. And I'll probably come home with something else.

Mario gyuto is only thing I've had my eye on lately.

also want a yanagi and deba to mess around with.

I just got one of those Moritaka french gyutos from Mark the other week, and i must say, Im not all that impressed. I've been very interested in a Kochi for a little while now, and if I end up getting a gyuto this time around it will most likely be one...or a Ikkanshi Tadatsuna.

But I really want to pick up a single bevel, so I might have to go a yanagiba...oh decisions, decisions

I'd love to get my hands on one of those Jins as well, but with a $1000 price tag I dont see that happening anytime soon :(

it is always good to get to try it out even if you end up not liking it. you can always sell it. If I were to get a yanagi I would go for the densho line Jon carries, it is not fancy. But they perform great. Flattest factory bevel I have ever seen. But I almost never use a yanagi so whats the point for me.

+1 on the DT wa-gyuto above. I've got to say that Devin Thomas is probably one of the best custom kitchen knife artist/makers out there. I'd buy that and I don't buy knives anymore.

~M

+1 on the DT wa-gyuto above. I've got to say that Devin Thomas is probably one of the best custom kitchen knife artist/makers out there. I'd buy that and I don't buy knives anymore.

~M

Well, you guys could always trade something...

Back