Knife at the top of your list...what is it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfreeman35

Reaction score
So, its almost that time again for me...that wonderful time when you get to click that "checkout" button on a shinny new knife.

As I am looking around trying to decide which knife- out of the many that I am eying- I will pick up this time around, It got me wondering...what knife is at the top of your guys' list? Which knife is the "next one" for you?

Mine list Toppers are custom made metallurgical oddities that have no practical value. :D. After that iwouldsay a Geshin long petty from JKI.

-AJ

A Shigefusa gyuto is at the top of my list.

Yah, a kochi is definitely in the running for my next purchase.

A Shigefusa gyuto is at the top of mine as well, but finding one is the problem...

I've been on Kramer's list for a while now, still wanting one of his but not splurging for Damascus.

I love Shigefusa, but my knives aren't drawer queens and the reactivity of his knives concerns me.

Just got my 240 Shig gyuto and it is off to Marko right away for a rehandle.

Next will either be a Catchside, Rader or Pierre custom. Need to save up a while though.

Over the next couple of years, I plan to acquire:

Konosuke HD 120 mm petty
Konosuke Fujiyama 240 mm gyuto
A mirror-finished, ebony handled 210 mm mioroshi deba in either Ginsanko or Blue #2 (to use, but also because I have coveted both theory's and citizensnips's since seeing them here)

Next knife I wanted something smaller. So many forum people suggested a petty no shorter than 180-210...but its relatively hard to find petties or sujis in that size. IF they are so popular with people, how come it is so hard to find? Petties are easily found 150 and less, but people here say they are useless..what gives?

Anyways, i was planning on getting a Suisin petty in that size (always wanted a suisin) but think I will need to save some money. I am thinking about getting a 210 carbonext gyuto, since i always wanted to try carbonext anyways. This knife will be used as kind of a "line knife".

Just got my 240 Shig gyuto and it is off to Marko right away for a rehandle.

Next will either be a Catchside, Rader or Pierre custom. Need to save up a while though.

Mind me asking where you got your shig from/how long you had to wait?

The only place I can seem to find them is at aframes...and it's a year plus wait

Next knife I wanted something smaller. So many forum people suggested a petty no shorter than 180-210...but its relatively hard to find petties or sujis in that size. IF they are so popular with people, how come it is so hard to find? Petties are easily found 150 and less, but people here say they are useless..what gives?

Anyways, i was planning on getting a Suisin petty in that size (always wanted a suisin) but think I will need to save some money. I am thinking about getting a 210 carbonext gyuto, since i always wanted to try carbonext anyways. This knife will be used as kind of a "line knife".

180mm-210mm pettys arent really popular in japan... only here, as they work well in western kitchens (especially pro kitchens). Therefore, most japanese makers dont make them. All of the ones we have, we had to have made for us. Hiromoto also had some. That was what started this whole craze for me a few years back... it was before i had started using deba, and i was breaking down a lot of flat fish. The 210mm size seemed like it would be awesome for that. Then i quickly saw how well it worked as a line knife too. It was all downhill from there ;)

For a readily available knife probably Kochi 240. For custom Marko / Martell / Randy, in no particular order.

Got a handful of 240-255mm gyutos and a few 150mm petties. Already have something in the works @ 180mm. Thinking along the lines of a 210mm petty, or possibly a 270 gyuto. The petty would be stainless, as my wife would use it a lot (and she's not very good about rinsing/ wiping off the knives in a timely manner), and probably some dinner guests. The 270 gyuto would be carbon or san mai w/ carbon core. No particular makers in mind right now, but 210mm would likely be a custom and the 270 a japanese or mid-tech.

Of course both Marko and Mario really have my attention right now, but with their current commitments/ development I'm guessing I won't have a chance for 1-2 years.

A deba, a Marko custom, heiji suji, and a custom petty.

Surprisingly, there isn't anything that is really screaming out to me. If I get a new knife, it'll likely be one of my boy Pierre's. However, I'm more interested in knives that are used outside of the kitchen at the moment. I have more knives than I'll ever need, and I'm working on my grinding, taking tips/steel/help from guys like Pierre and another great guy named Adam Marr. Remember him?
I should also mention that I marvel at the work Randy is doing lately, and Marko's stuff looks dangerously good.

Gesshin Heiji. can't wait to see what Jon is going to post soon....

Mind me asking where you got your shig from/how long you had to wait?

The only place I can seem to find them is at aframes...and it's a year plus wait

I got mine from Japan Woodworker. They do keep some knives in stock but I recently called over there to review the inventory with the salesperson because I was hoping they might have a deba. All they have in stock at this point are sashimi knives from 9" to 14".

I would talk to Maksim, it seems he is starting to deal with Master Tokifusa Iizuka. I would expect a long wait through whoever you go through though.

I've been on Kramer's list for a while now, still wanting one of his but not splurging for Damascus.

I love Shigefusa, but my knives aren't drawer queens and the reactivity of his knives concerns me.

Kramer had a couple "custom-ready made" knives for sale the other day...kinda spendy though.

A deba is top of my list right now, as for which, dunno yet. Probably Suisin or Sugimoto. Not sure about the long run, maybe an usuba from Suisin's dreamcraft line?

Not custom? I really want a Takeda Gyuto. Maybe a 210 and use it at home. It just cuts so well.

Devin Thomas damascus wa-gyuto:

89764_1_b.jpg

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=89764&photo=1&size=n

Rick

I am with Lefty, there is not much that looks like an immediate purchase. On a few lists, but for the most part taking interest into restoring some vintage knives and tools.

I'd like a shig, and something from Dave, Marko, and a Carter. List and knife budget don't really seem to mesh very well at the moment. ;)

From a custom. DT. From a "regular" maker, shigefusa 240 gyuto.

Back