Knife Collection what next

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your;
Takada Suiboku for the win!

This is a good suggestion, Young WaTFTanaki here has accumulated so much good stuff, so quickly, that there aren’t too many bases left obviously uncovered. The luxury laser/hamaguri grind is a possible exception

Otherwise it seems largely a case of finessing some of your existing preferences and working on different combos of smiths and grinds until you’ve suitably scratched this itch., You’ve already mentioned some decent Sanjio alternatives, but there may be some room to experiment with other Sakai smiths outside of Tanaka - Nakagawa’s or Yamatsuka’s Ginsan for example

Back to the question at hand: given my inventory, what would rec besides an unobtainable Shig, Kato or a Honyaki which seems an aesthetic flirt with no increase slicing joy. Maybe I am wrong. Raquin seems unavailable. I am curious about Shihan & Dalman but am keeping the knife collection Japan-centric for now. Bought a takamura brown/red handle santoku but it lacked soul so I tucked it away and stopped flirting with lasers, though Y Tanaka is close.
Since you're in the UK, what do you think of this?
http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/

One question to OP, is the Wat Pro 180 Nakiri really that good? I have 20+ knives now but I don't have any nakiri yet. Do you "want" to use the nakiri often even when you have the Wat gyuto and all the other good stuff?

Others are better qualified to offer an opinion than I am, but I was thinking 'Jiro' as I read the OP.

I got my Masamoto KS in January 2018 before the price run up. I paid $385. I like the knife. Not sure why it is so divisive.

What should I try instead to demonstrate why it is inferior?

starting with a Kochi is rough because it's actually somewhat hard to find something that is really an upgrade over that IMO. the best handle you can buy, great middle weight grind with opportunity to learn polishing, good steel... it's just a great knife period 🤷‍♂️

if all my knives went away and I had to start over I'd buy another KU Mazaki, but OP already has a Mazaki that he loves. and if I couldnt get that, a Toyama 240 is such a great choice if you can get it on sale at JNS. but OP already has one of those. so if I couldnt get that, Id get a Mutsumi Hinoura hammered 210.

another great option might be Togashi, but OP do you have a 150mm petty? I used to write petties off until I got to try some and found them surprisingly useful, especially for baking.

One question to OP, is the Wat Pro 180 Nakiri really that good? I have 20+ knives now but I don't have any nakiri yet. Do you "want" to use the nakiri often even when you have the Wat gyuto and all the other good stuff?
It’s my only Nakiri. So I can’t comment of whether all Nakiri have the same sensation when cutting but it’s unique and a pleasure. There is something effortless about the way the blade sails through vegetables that to my amateur hands seems to be a function of the grind and that much of the heft or weight of the knife sits above the edge. Little hand effort is required and it’s more like the blade is doing the work.

cutting with a gyuto is just a different pleasure or process where the knife is more an extension of your hand. I am amazed by how little effort is required to score duck breast with the Y Tanaka. But I would not do that with the NakiriApples to oranges. Ones not better than the other.

i really enjoy my Mac bread knife too.

Different functions. But on mushrooms or carrots or greens the Nakiri shines.

I got my Masamoto KS in January 2018 before the price run up. I paid $385. I like the knife. Not sure why it is so divisive.

I agree it is a good knife. It’s just become obvious to me that there are better, which is subjective, knives at, and even below it’s price point like the Mazakis. Especially if you something that will do everything well, the Kochi and Wat beat it.

I have Kochi before, I would consider it a different knife than the KS, doesn’t have that killer distal taper. If you looking for something similar but better at all aspects I’ll say Benjamin Kamon.

Also this one
6334910F-1FB2-4830-A6F2-D8018528FA1C.png

Last edited:

It seems the Wat Pro 180 Nakiri has been a top choice for years now. There have been some worthy challengers but I think the Wat remains the most often recommended in this class by a fair margin.
Love mine. Only Nakiri I (still) have. Had a Takeda that was also quite nice but I like the heft of the Wat.

Back