Knife confessions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a confession. My knife tips are often rounded. But I don’t care. View attachment 134774
Going for rounded tip, too, after breaking off a knife‘s tip for the first time:

41656770pn.jpeg

🤬

No... I can't watch

Some of my knives make me feel guilty. In particular the single-bevelled debas, which were meant to encourage a new dawn of healthy eating, a positive vision of me flirting with new filleting techniques and eating more beautifully fresh fish. And now they mock me, knowing that my total of fish successfully filleted in the last 5 years is the same as the number of Fillet O Fishes that I’ve eaten.*

I’ve mitigated against this by either giving those troublesome knives away or hiding them well away in a drawer, increasingly hidden by other blades that I’ve bought to mask the shame. Job done.
👍

*Zero in both cases. Nobody ever willngly chooses a fillet o fish as an omnivore, surely?

I mean I could confess to starting way too many projects and not finishing them but one merely needs to look at BST to figure that out.

my real crime is that I will polish on a stone that I know has issues even if it ****s up a finish.

I promised myself and my wife that I would only buy as many knives as would fit in the drawer (the biggest one, of course ;-). But I must confess that later I "forgot" to mention that each box will fit two knives ...

I save the little silica gel packs from other new products that I buy and lay them around the kitchen cabinet where I store my carbon steel knives in a vain attempt to control atmospheric conditions and prevent rust. I won't tell you where I keep my tin-foil hat (that isn't even made of tin).

You’d need a lot of sachets, or a small cabinet, for this to actually make much difference, but I‘d encourage the general logic. Better fill the same space full of giant sacks of rice, cat litter, oats and other grains to make sure…

You’d need a lot of sachets, or a small cabinet, for this to actually make much difference, but I‘d encourage the general logic. Better fill the same space full of giant sacks of rice, cat litter, oats and other grains to make sure…
Is the cat litter box a good place to store knives? As an added bonus, I heard cat pee also gives a really nice patina.

No... I can't watch
The only reason I learned to repair tips is because I’ve tipped so many knives 🤣
Customers whose knives I repair (like this one) often ask me where I learned to fix them. I don’t have the courage to tell them it came from being a terrible knife owner.

Attachments

• 139265DB-4722-4FE8-B47E-C5FD6742D3C1.jpeg
    139265DB-4722-4FE8-B47E-C5FD6742D3C1.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 1AD421AC-4225-4858-B56A-69A1527E8073.jpeg
    1AD421AC-4225-4858-B56A-69A1527E8073.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 51
The only reason I learned to repair tips is because I’ve tipped so many knives 🤣
Customers whose knives I repair (like this one) often ask me where I learned to fix them. I don’t have the courage to tell them it came from being a terrible knife owner.

Oh, do you do sharpening out of the store, too? I also see you’re expanding! Congrats.

Some times i feel a bit stupid because of a few things...

An increase in my income the last 6-7 years have made it possible to buy much nicer. ( expensive ) knives then I could at the beginning. Ironically it also means I've never had so little time to use them. Therefore many never sees the light.

Also..the knife that startet it all was a rather modest Tojiro DP 240 3 layer Gyuto..it was a gift from my then girlfriend and today wife.. No knife I've ever bought have ever made me happier to use then that one.No matter how expensive it has bin.

And last.. I think I'm pretty alone on this one. Konosuke HD and HD2's are totally overrated. 😬

oh that’s how I learned to do every repair beyond a simple sharpening ... does anyone learn any other way? I can look at a tipped knife and say how long it‘ll take me to fix, I’m usually close. Chips always take longer than I think though.

I saw a recipe for oven-baked potato wedges that I really want to try mostly as an excuse to compare my different knives against a pile of potatoes.

But the local grocery store deli counter has these seasoned potato wedges that are so damn good and so darn cheap and easy that I just keep buying those instead.

I bought my Mom a Tojiro DP petty for a gift. Was putting a new wood handle on it, some Hawaiian Koa that we brought back from a trip to Hawaii, it fell of the bench onto concrete and bent 1/4" of the tip, which of course broke off during straightening. I have also gotten good at knife tip repair, but I have been known to fully alter the profile from the spine by removing 1" or more of length to drop the tip into more gyutoo profile from western or eruo style knives.

Fixed petty. non-stabilized Hawaiian Koa with nice red coloration. I have a bookmatched 4" x ~30" (almost 1 meter) long board of this I carried back with me on the plane, through security 😁
VQGApx1.jpg

Also I got over zealous with the 2k grit stone and oversharpened no less than 3 of my best knives (best being relative, I haven't paid over $200 for any J-knives yet). Nothing major, but I have a pet peeve about putting unnessessary wear on my nice knives. When I ever get confident enough to try thinning, they will be fixed, but for now I'm using a few knives that are just a bit thicker at the edge than they needed to be. Made me mad. I will be EXTRA careful with my new Kochi that is paper thin bte. They still cut fine, not like I started grinding away on the Gesshin 400.

A real confession: I always prep way too much onions, bell peppers, carrots, tomatos, and potatoes that no one wants to eat.

#1 to this. I have been known to have much extra food after getting done with the cutting board hehe.

Lastly, if someone asks me to sharpen a cheap stainless knife, I put the initial edge on with a belt grinder and finish on coarse diamond plate. Makes my job soo much easier and non-knife people like toothy edges that just bite right into stuff. I'm careful with the grinder of course, but it can set a bevel with 2 passes instead of 15 min on the plate.

Some times i feel a bit stupid because of a few things...

An increase in my income the last 6-7 years have made it possible to buy much nicer. ( expensive ) knives then I could at the beginning. Ironically it also means I've never had so little time to use them. Therefore many never sees the light.

Also..the knife that startet it all was a rather modest Tojiro DP 240 3 layer Gyuto..it was a gift from my then girlfriend and today wife.. No knife I've ever bought have ever made me happier to use then that one.No matter how expensive it has bin.

And last.. I think I'm pretty alone on this one. Konosuke HD and HD2's are totally overrated. 😬

I ve heard others with the same opinion on the Kono HD & HD2

Back