Knife confessions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all have those moments of weakness or maybe of strength. Here is the thread to confesses, repent, share. We're here for you. it's okay. This is your forum. Tell us your story...

I'll start... I have a 3 magnet knife wall (16" each) and it's full, but there's this stack of knives about 10 deep that are sitting in my closet and another 4-5 underneath some books or sharpening stones. I've told myself "man you gotta sell, give whatever them out of the house (apt)- respect the wall." "One out and one in". A couple weeks ago I did two- a Moritaka and shigeki Tanaka. Then i slipped up- damn it, I bought Kohetsu b2 tall 240 and Sukenari ktip HAP40. I'm not counting the Hasegawa board...

I really wanted a masakage koishi all of last year but everytime I got the stock notification, it was sold out before I could buy it.

Since then I've added two Y.Tanakas including a Konosuke Fujiyama FM, konosuke sumiiro and a mazaki. Then I saw a koishi in stock a few months ago and ordered it because I still wanted one. Now that I have it, it's the only knife I haven't used at all and don't feel like it so it just sits in the box in the back of a drawer.

I don't know why.

I dropped my Yoshikane k-tip and of course bent the tip. My wife said to just go buy a new one, but when I pictured selling the old one on BST for a song as a project knife I had this weird duality experience realizing that I’d jump all over that deal as a buyer. So I still have one slightly damaged Yoshi on my rack.

I really wanted a masakage koishi all of last year but everytime I got the stock notification, it was sold out before I could buy it.

Since then I've added two Y.Tanakas including a Konosuke Fujiyama FM, konosuke sumiiro and a mazaki. Then I saw a koishi in stock a few months ago and ordered it because I still wanted one. Now that I have it, it's the only knife I haven't used at all and don't feel like it so it just sits in the box in the back of a drawer.

I don't know why.
Damn you sound like me. Have a Sumiiro, Mazaki, and Takada and kind of want a Fuji too.

Damn you sound like me. Have a Sumiiro, Mazaki, and Takada and kind of want a Fuji too.
The double tanaka was just bad timing. I tried to get a Fujiyama for a while and pretty much gave up because they were selling faster than the Koishi's so I ordered a Sentan 240 from KnS. While it was still on it's way, I managed to snag a Fujiyama on Tosho thanks to an alert from a KKF member.

I liked both so I ended up keeping both. 😁

I've been putting serious thought into a menkiri to tall nakiri/cleaver conversion to satisfy my square curiosity.
It wouldn't even save money since I'd need to buy all tools like a vice, hacksaw etc...

I'm new to Japanese knives. A few weeks ago I was cutting up a chicken and told my wife it'd be so much easier with a knife specifically designed for the task, so I ordered a "decent" honesuki. This weekend, I used it to break down a dozen chickens. My conclusion, I should have bought a better knife :rolleyes:. My latest knife is out for delivery today, so I should probably wait until it arrives before ordering another honesuki. Probably.

Bought three different Y. Tanaka within a year. All were good knives. Sold all with dire losses. I'm stupid - all in all I should have just kept the first one I think. It's the one I kept longest and used the most. 400$ down the drain...

Ah... and there's not a day I don't somewhat regret selling that Toyama... I wanted money to buy the third Y. Tanaka, see...:rolleyes:

I've been waiting out for a Takada Suiboku 240 ginsan, and about to pull the trigger on a 240mm Reika and a Kagekiyo w2 and maybe a Kagekiyo b1 lol.

Have a Y Tanaka Kikkumori Damy that I dont reach for all that much vs my Tanaka Kyuzo but cannot bring myself to sell it.

Hi, my name is Ian and I'm a knife-oholic :/

Bought three different Y. Tanaka within a year. All were good knives. Sold all with dire losses. I'm stupid - all in all I should have just kept the first one I think. It's the one I kept longest and used the most. 400$ down the drain...

Ah... and there's not a day I don't somewhat regret selling that Toyama... I wanted money to buy the third Y. Tanaka, see...:rolleyes:

I have 7 Y Tanakas. The takada No hamono pretty much is perfect for me. Done. For now. I don’t have a Yohei or kyuzu to be fair though. I flip between it and a 210 Denka for daily use. I am satisfied for awhile anyway. Kind of want to try a yoshikane skd and takada ginsan suiboku but not rushing.

I never intended on buying any knife over $100. I just needed to sharpen my 10yr old 8" Victorinox. So I bought a shapton 1k stone for $40 and it was great. All the knives I obtained since were just to get value out of that whetstone.

EC6D8BA5-7AE3-4DA4-A271-9653464308E3.png

"I prefer famous makers to more budget friendly knives"
"I bought many expensive knives in a short period of time"
"I have too many knives from one maker"
"I don't use my +$1K knives enough"

🙄🙄🙄

Y'all are just back door bragging. I laid it all out there, and now I look like a damn fool. Who else is brave enough for a real confession?

🙄🙄🙄

Y'all are just back door bragging. I laid it all out there, and now I look like a damn fool. Who else is brave enough for a real confession?
2E{[]]@VJCHYU82@~I4@`]5.png

🙄🙄🙄

All right real confession. I still watch burrfection sometimes.

I buy knives and stones because I'm bored. There you are.

I could just keep the Shi.Han and be happy...

And the S. Tanaka... and the Sukenari...

Will probably keep the cheap Futana Bunka because it's seriously great.

And then I could keep one real coarse stone at all times instead of four, and it doesn't really matter which one because I'm bored so it can take some time. And just thin the rest of the collection down to 5 other stones or so. But I won't sell the extra ones I like because stones get individually boring, too.

The rest will hit BST soon I guess. And then I'll buy other knives because I'm bored. And stones for when knives I have become boring.

And someday I'll probably be bored with knives and sharpening too.

Back