Knife confessions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 150mm is an almost entirely useless length for a petty knife.

I can see where you're coming from... I used to think my 150 petty was fantastic, now I'm of the opinion that for home use, it's a poor compromise between a 165-180x40 for quick board work and a 90-120 parer for in-hand cutting. My fiance loves it though.

I can see where you're coming from... I used to think my 150 petty was fantastic, now I'm of the opinion that for home use, it's a poor compromise between a 165-180x40 for quick board work and a 90-120 parer for in-hand cutting. My fiance loves it though.

Exactly my point. I have a couple 150's. When I grab one, I almost always think I should have grabbed something else. Maybe to supreme citrus? But I have no problem doing that with my 210 petty/suji... In hand, I use the little Mac pro, and for anything on a board, I like something bigger.

I finally got my wife to use a larger knife. I bought a MAC Pro 8.5 inch. She loves it.

I don't use it at all as it is her own knife which I think she likes.

I was cutting some carrots today and decided to compare a few different gyutos. My wife walked by and decided to mock me and take a photo to send to her friends with the caption “how many knives does it take to cut a carrot?”

I had her try out all three knives and of course the Yoshikane just fell through the carrots compared to the others. She said, “OMG I get it now!” So I turned a mocking into a victory! Now she wants to know why I don’t just use the Yoshi for everything… which is actually a pretty good question now that I think about it 🤣

But yeah, my confession is it takes me 3 knives to cut a carrot.

I was cutting some carrots today and decided to compare a few different gyutos. My wife walked by and decided to mock me and take a photo to send to her friends with the caption “how many knives does it take to cut a carrot?”

I had her try out all three knives and of course the Yoshikane just fell through the carrots compared to the others. She said, “OMG I get it now!” So I turned a mocking into a victory! Now she wants to know why I don’t just use the Yoshi for everything… which is actually a pretty good question now that I think about it 🤣

But yeah, my confession is it takes me 3 knives to cut a carrot.
Then you buy another Yoshi to compare different stone edges :)

I came here to outfit myself with a bang for the buck knife roll. Now, I’m trying to sell a custom to help pay for three that are on books. 🤦🏾‍♂️

You sure it wasn't looking for something sharp and pointy to make some munchies???

1627090796731.png

I buy custom knives because constantly having a knife “on the way” helps prevent me from impulse buying.
maaaaaaaannnnn. I have my first three on the way by the end of the year, and it's KILLING me. I'm getting the urge to buy something already done just to scratch the itch.

maaaaaaaannnnn. I have my first three on the way by the end of the year, and it's KILLING me. I'm getting the urge to buy something already done just to scratch the itch.

I’m gonna piggy back off of this for my second confession.
Buying custom knives to prevent from impulse buying doesn’t work 😂

My wife gets it too. Unfortunately she still won't use the best ones because I explained how the harder steel is a little more susceptible to damage and what motions/mistakes to avoid on the board and now she says she's scared to use them. I keep telling her to get over it and that there is nothing she would probably do that wouldn't be easily correctable on the stones, but she is still reluctant. She does use the Shiki, it is sort of her knife now, as I'd probably sell it if she didn't use it.

My wife gets it too. Unfortunately she still won't use the best ones because I explained how the harder steel is a little more susceptible to damage and what motions/mistakes to avoid on the board and now she says she's scared to use them. I keep telling her to get over it and that there is nothing she would probably do that wouldn't be easily correctable on the stones, but she is still reluctant. She does use the Shiki, it is sort of her knife now, as I'd probably sell it if she didn't use it.

Maybe you can show her a couple videos to see that she might encourage her. It surely made me feel a lot more comfortable.

Shiki's do exist in harder steels (R2/SG2, whether clad or monosteel). For a few examples:

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...2-3-gyuto-210mm-8-2-inch-linen-micarta-handlehttps://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...itsuke-bunka-205mm-8-inch-white-corian-handlehttps://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...-gyuto-210mm-to-240mm-2-sizes-ironwood-handle

Shiki's do exist in harder steels (R2/SG2, whether clad or monosteel).
Yes, it is R2 and hard (62-63) but for whatever reason she has decided she is going to use that knife and not touch the rest... Probably because she knows I don't really reach for it too often anymore... It is of the 'Black Dragon' variety that you posted above.
porkbelly1.jpg

The first video was made by me and my Watanabe didn't get any visible chip from that kabocha squash. These knives are tougher than we thought.

I stand by my statement. lol

My go to knife for butternut squash is actually my biggerson/dalman collab but I can't imagine hitting the knife down with that much force. I'd be scared the squash would slide and twist the knife. I dont baby any of my knives, so I do agree they are tougher than what people think. Although I have chipped two knives cutting an onion.... a heji (which I hadn't put a good microbevel on yet) and a saji AS which I have no clue how it happened.

Back