Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who got the 270 toyama from JNS? that's a 34% off????? This is what a BFCM deal should look like!

1637943331162.png

miura knives

Almost all products of our shop with 10% discount .

We are receiving new items everyweek.

Coupon code: friday

Valid until november 29th

Thank you! I got a 240 gyuto for myself. It seems like it’s the classic not NAS.
I grabbed one as well! If it is the classic does that mean it is old stock or is the AS still made by Takeda?

If it is, Takeda will regrind it.

im looking on pics and don't see any difference between the NAS and AS. maybe I'm wrong..

i have a 210 NAS and really want to love it but its wedge and lack the weight to force through ingredients. the steel is good and i like the rustic look but not sure its worth the price and getting another one unless its a different grind.

im looking on pics and don't see any difference between the NAS and AS. maybe I'm wrong..

i have a 210 NAS and really want to love it but its wedge and lack the weight to force through ingredients. the steel is good and i like the rustic look but not sure its worth the price and getting another one unless its a different grind.
I think you can always thin it bte a little bit. It seems like the old stock has a 1.5 cm tall wide bevel compared to <1 cm bevel from recent years. And the original bevel was slightly convex. It's not difficult to replicate that grind I think/hope.

Last edited:
I think you can always thin it bte a little bit. It seems like the old stock has a 1.5 cm tall wide bevel compared to 1 cm bevel from recent years. And the original bevel was slightly convex. It's not difficult to replicate that grind I think/hope.

i assume those on chubo are from a new batch so they will have to regrind.

also, if i will regrind it, it might lost the food separation which is this blade best quality. tempting, but still not convinced its worth it.

hoping cause you got one? ;)

i assume those on chubo are from a new batch so they will have to regrind.

also, if i will regrind it, it might lost the food separation which is this blade best quality. tempting, but still not convinced its worth it.

hoping cause you got one? ;)
This one is from 2013. Tbh it doesn't look like the bevel is so much bigger than recent batches. I doubt it cuts as good as they said without any thinning.
1638036666967.png

this is mine 210 nas. Bevel is about 6 mm

View attachment 153804View attachment 153805
I think you can try to widen the bevel to maybe 8-10 mm and it should cut much better. This choil is from CKTG 210 AS old photo I think, and it seems like the bevel is a little thinner and wider and the shoulder is less pronounced. I bet its food release is not as good as yours' though.
1638038197768.png

Here is my AS nakiri sold in 2017 as “old stock.” Never intentionally thinned it but the bevels have widened up some in spots through normal sharpening are about 7-8mm on avg. I’ve lost about 4mm in height since new. There is a low spot on the front that makes the left side of the photo seem flatter than the rest of the grind really is.

Always been blown away by chunky Takeda choils. Mine is just a hair under 1mm thick at the thin point of the hollow and really just crazy thin all the way through. Maybe I just got lucky 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• 6BFF7242-0762-4704-B3F1-885E44CA7D10.jpeg
    6BFF7242-0762-4704-B3F1-885E44CA7D10.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 62
Black Friday at meesterslijpers :
Here you will find our Black Friday promotions. These are popular products that are priced extra low for this day. These offers are valid until Monday the 30th of November. Be quick, because many knives we have in stock are limited.

Since you guys are talkin' Takeda's, you guys know that you can email Shosui for a custom? If it's outrageous, he can still say no, but the last time I talked to him (around March this year), I asked for an AS 230x55 "sasanoha" with the old grind and he said yes. Takes around 4-5 months for him to do it, and he ships with UPS Air, so it arrives in like 2-3 days after shipping. He used to ask for payment after your knife is completed, but has since changed it to payment due upon ordering, which makes sense. Message me if you want the email address!

Since you guys are talkin' Takeda's, you guys know that you can email Shosui for a custom? If it's outrageous, he can still say no, but the last time I talked to him (around March this year), I asked for an AS 230x55 "sasanoha" with the old grind and he said yes. Takes around 4-5 months for him to do it, and he ships with UPS Air, so it arrives in like 2-3 days after shipping. He used to ask for payment after your knife is completed, but has since changed it to payment due upon ordering, which makes sense. Message me if you want the email address!
As of August of this year, they stopped taking individual sales.

Here is my AS nakiri sold in 2017 as “old stock.” Never intentionally thinned it but the bevels have widened up some in spots through normal sharpening are about 7-8mm on avg. I’ve lost about 4mm in height since new. There is a low spot on the front that makes the left side of the photo seem flatter than the rest of the grind really is.

Always been blown away by chunky Takeda choils. Mine is just a hair under 1mm thick at the thin point of the hollow and really just crazy thin all the way through. Maybe I just got lucky 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ya that’s why I use mine for hibachi as the edge is solid enough to cut on metal despite being an Aogami Super.

nice work with the Takeda tho, I’m probably going to need to do the same in a few months if I keep up the pace I’m going

Back