Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

moderncooking

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
That sounds insane but my wallet is crying at the thought lol. I wonder if some of the younger makers would be more willing to do a collab. Tetsujin (myojin and tetsu bought young and willing to do interesting stuff) wrought iron/modern dama wrought workhorse with a birch bark handle from Jonas? Millions of possibilities! Nigara also does crazy stuff these days like the troll killer line and would totally collab I'm sure. Nakagawa too.

Absolutely happy to try to work with those guys as well. Ill have a think about what is possible 👍

Jville

Reaction score
I left a machi gap on one of the knives I swapped the handle on.

Explanation 1: I like how it looks.
Explanation 2: The hole of handle is too shallow to fit in the tang. I conveniently gave up after trying to dig it deeper.

Which one do you think is true? lol

View attachment 199745
What is explanation 2, Alex

Reaction score
Want that. But I think I have to wait for a river jump if I'm dropping that much cash in a hinoura.
Did you see the santoku Carbon silently dropped for 1300? I saw it on the front page (long after it sold for sure) and wondered if it was a mistake because there was no IG post (until a few days later). Crazy. I agree the rainbow is a bit less appealing because Nigara and Saji make similar ones. The Nigara one is definitely the most appealing to me, especially since it's ground by Myojin.

Reaction score
Did you see the santoku Carbon silently dropped for 1300? I saw it on the front page (long after it sold for sure) and wondered if it was a mistake because there was no IG post (until a few days later). Crazy. I agree the rainbow is a bit less appealing because Nigara and Saji make similar ones. The Nigara one is definitely the most appealing to me, especially since it's ground by Myojin.
No way, I probably would have grabbed I'm a dirty santoku lover 😭😅

I love/hate silent drops. Helped me get my Kato workhorse but I do miss out on a lot. Feels like you always have to be stalking social media

Reaction score
Love it! Someone snatch those up, especially the fully reactive carbons, but the Migaki isn't in the drop. Sad.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
Bought. Thanks, chef.

Reaction score
Sigh.. Bought as well lol. I guess my KU Kochi will be on BST soon.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
@JBroida

Any chance you could provide an update on the differences between the Kochi versions at this time? I love my Kochi KU Stainless and was hoping the Migaki I just ordered would provide similar or better performance.

Obviously I can't speak to the current batch, but I've had both the migaki and KU versions (I sold my migaki and have regretted it since!).

As mentioned above, they are quite different knives. The KU is a wide bevel and is thinner behind the edge. My migaki was convex ground and was heavier, giving it more power.

As always, it's a personal thing on what is better for you, and also depends on what ingredients you're prepping. I love them both!

Reaction score
Not a knife, but a pretty good deal nonetheless. Maybe that 16k is for cuddling with - but the 500 and 2k are still pretty nice for $130.

shinyunggyun

Banned
Reaction score
This one and heiji are supposed to be the best value knives in the world correct?

Reaction score
This one and heiji are supposed to be the best value knives in the world correct?
I don't know much about Heiji and I wouldn't say the best, that's a big title. But it does outcut Yoshikane and Watanabe imo, which are 2 of the best cutters I've used, consider the current pricing situation I'm surprised they did not increase the price.