Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly is Watetsu?
It’s basically Japanese vintage iron (watetsu literally means Japanese iron or something like that) made in a Tatara furnace (I believe tamahagane is made this way as well). So kind of like Japanese wrought but I think the production technique is specific to Japan. Someone else probably knows more

Last edited:
It’s watetsu so the appeal is no different from Honyaki, wrought, hand laminated Damascus etc and those manage to sell (and Mazakis are equally roughly finished, with the infamous scratchy Honyaki with walnut ferrule)
I understand the unique cladding being of interest (although the rough finish doesn't exactly help showcase it's character). But there's a lot of folks making knives clad in wrought or other interesting claddings... with (IMO) better core steels... and much nicer finishes... and superior reputations for cutting performance... and charging a lot less for it!

I've had two Mazakis, both were perfectly good knives in the ~$250 ballpark but nothing about them made me want to spend 2x+ that on the blue 2 honsanmai, let alone 5x on this. I've heard proponents of Mazaki say "this is the closest you can get to a Kato for a reasonable price" but you can get an actual Kato for $1250!

I understand the unique cladding being of interest (although the rough finish doesn't exactly help showcase it's character). But there's a lot of folks making knives clad in wrought or other interesting claddings... with (IMO) better core steels... and much nicer finishes... and superior reputations for cutting performance... and charging a lot less for it!

I've had two Mazakis, both were perfectly good knives in the ~$250 ballpark but nothing about them made me want to spend 2x+ that on the blue 2 honsanmai, let alone 5x on this. I've heard proponents of Mazaki say "this is the closest you can get to a Kato for a reasonable price" but you can get an actual Kato for $1250!
Honestly my blue 2 honsanmai is easily worth its pricetag. Pretty different from my 210 KU but I have no idea if its made to a different standard or if its just luck of the draw

$1.2k for a roughly finished white 2 sanmai... who's the market for this??
Why do you think there's no Mazaki x Wrought massdrop?
I'd asked for blue 1 last year and the price was a lot ****ing higher than this 😂

I for a little while was sad about what could have been, but looking at this man did I dodge a bullet.

What sort of finish is this...
and for ***** sake man what the hell is that kanji

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 5.05.55 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 5.05.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 5.05.48 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
I'd asked for blue 1 last year and the price was a lot ****ing higher than this 😂

I for a little while was sad about what could have been, but looking at this man did I dodge a bullet.

View attachment 207078
Maybe he shoulda tried white-out first

View attachment 207078
I bet Mazaki has kids or nieces/nephews under the age of 5.

I still never get knifewears garage sale. Most of it is common, readily available stuff with funky handles on it. Hell, those 2 aogami honyaki gyutos from Nakagawa were from last year and they didn't sell. Even with the dollar being stronger than the canadian, nothing is really on sale.

Who is going to buy a troll killer at 3k+or one of those manaka enns for 2k+? 210mm hatsukokoro komorebi for $540? Hell, Tosho had it for a real sale, $300 usd for 240mm. The rest are kurosaki western handles, some dois, saji, all at meh prices.

/End rant

I still never get knifewears garage sale. Most of it is common, readily available stuff with funky handles on it. Hell, those 2 aogami honyaki gyutos from Nakagawa were from last year and they didn't sell. Even with the dollar being stronger than the canadian, nothing is really on sale.

Who is going to buy a troll killer at 3k+or one of those manaka enns for 2k+? 210mm hatsukokoro komorebi for $540? Hell, Tosho had it for a real sale, $300 usd for 240mm. The rest are kurosaki western handles, some dois, saji, all at meh prices.

/End rant
Not to mention it’s final sale. The prices are indeed trash

To their credit, in the beginning they did have some oddities floating through from their exploratory trips to Japan, though it appears to have devolved into clearing losse clutter- a literal garage-sale. I’d say it’s a shame the prices aren’t more appealing, but since those early days, nothing has really grabbed my eye. Knifewear has always struck me as a place lacking focus, like an overstock-warehouse vibe where the overall selection seems to have randomly arrived there. The garage sale feels no different, and the ‘prices’ don’t make the offering any more enticing.

To their credit, in the beginning they did have some oddities floating through from their exploratory trips to Japan, though it appears to have devolved into clearing losse clutter- a literal garage-sale. I’d say it’s a shame the prices aren’t more appealing, but since those early days, nothing has really grabbed my eye. Knifewear has always struck me as a place lacking focus, like an overstock-warehouse vibe where the overall selection seems to have randomly arrived there. The garage sale feels no different, and the ‘prices’ don’t make the offering any more enticing.
Yeah they talk about how they "search Japan for unique and rare knives" which is more like...waiting for new shipments from wholesalers of standard stuff. Would have liked to see what it was like in its prime

Yeah they talk about how they "search Japan for unique and rare knives" which is more like...waiting for new shipments from wholesalers of standard stuff. Would have liked to see what it was like in its prime
Yeah and rainbow unicorn custom handles do not make ‘rare or unique’ a knife.

That WH by Newham was so sexy. If you got it and are reading this……Sell to me please 🥹

Back