Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
The SG2 knives I have feel very fragile and I don’t like sharpening them. So that’s part of why I’m looking to try Ginsan. Height is also a factor for sure.

Having said that we’re about to move and I’ve got about four or five knives I should sell before I get another anyway. Otherwise I might have pulled the trigger on a number of other things before a ginsan. It’s just on the list of things to try.

jedy617

Reaction score
The SG2 knives I have feel very fragile and I don’t like sharpening them. So that’s part of why I’m looking to try Ginsan. Height is also a factor for sure.

Having said that we’re about to move and I’ve got about four or five knives I should sell before I get another anyway. Otherwise I might have pulled the trigger on a number of other things before a ginsan. It’s just on the list of things to try.
Ginsan won't be much tougher really. Definitely feels better to sharpen...but at least with diamond stones, my sg2 takes same time as anything else really.

jedy617

Reaction score
I know that Miura seems to advertise pretty short heel heights for a lot of their knives (45-46mm) but I’ve reached out and checked if they have 49-50mm instock and they usually do.
Yeah, I had that exact knife and it was about 50mm.

kagekiyo3.jpg

Reaction score
Ginsan won't be much tougher really. Definitely feels better to sharpen...but at least with diamond stones, my sg2 takes same time as anything else really.
The SG2 knives I have are most TKV so that’s part of why they seem so fragile. But I feel like part of this obsession is that I need to try things myself anyway. It’s part of the fun. Experiencing the variations.

tostadas

Reaction score
Tetsujin metal flow 240mm back in stock

Reaction score
A bunch of Heiji in SKD listed at Strata, including a western. No 240 unfortunately. It seems like these are all Yoshikane-style grinds which is interesting. If this is the same steel/treatment he uses for semi-stainless and the legends are true then this is a banger?

M1k3

"Gigantoku" is just code for "Serbian Cleaver"
Reaction score
A bunch of Heiji in SKD listed at Strata, including a western. No 240 unfortunately. It seems like these are all Yoshikane-style grinds which is interesting. If this is the same steel/treatment he uses for semi-stainless and the legends are true then this is a banger?

Heiji high bevels! 🫶

Reaction score

tostadas

Reaction score
Some Takeda Cleavers available in both large and small size