Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

jsandvad

Reaction score
For real! To me he is in my top 5 for sure. @JayS20 is overwhelmed as well, for instance.
F&F is perfect (not good, but perfect), his convex grind is very consistent, those profiles are perfect (at least for me) and the taper is great as well. Here are some pics from my trilogy:

41831996na.jpg

42652275lw.jpg

42255538be.jpg

42255528im.jpg

For the money, you shouldn't hesitate - I ordered one as well, though I already own 4.

Best,
Mack.
They look awesome! Does he only sell on instagram? I don't have an account (and don't really want one).

OyakoDont

Reaction score
HSCIII has a giveaway on instagram. As the recipient of a former giveaway I can say he doesn’t skimp on the quality and is great to talk to for any help you want after the event.

Last edited:

Jovidah

Vocal amateur
Reaction score
Maybe I'm the outsider here but even with knives I don't necessarily care for the 'handmade' part. Especially considering how easy it is to <bovine excrement> with descriptions of production processes. I really just care about the end result. If they can make my dream knife for 5 bucks on a mass manufacturing production line with some CNC machines and 1 bored looking college kid playing with his phone to supervise it all I'd be quite content with that arrangement.

Reaction score
Munetoshi 240 back in stock at RSK

Reaction score

Best value work horsey around.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the outsider here but even with knives I don't necessarily care for the 'handmade' part. Especially considering how easy it is to <bovine excrement> with descriptions of production processes. I really just care about the end result. If they can make my dream knife for 5 bucks on a mass manufacturing production line with some CNC machines and 1 bored looking college kid playing with his phone to supervise it all I'd be quite content with that arrangement.
Call me Romantizing too much, but sometimes I still like a realistic painting over a photograph, even if it painted with the aid of later. Tho each to his own.

Reaction score
Call me Romantizing too much, but sometimes I still like a realistic painting over a photograph, even if it painted with the aid of later. Tho each to his own.
Warning, whisky fueled statements incoming:

I mean, I don't think either of these are the wrong answer. I appreciate that there's a place for both. As the son and grandson of artists, I love the craft and artistic aspects of handmade knives. As someone who works in non-profit to address accessibility barriers and systems of care, I like the idea of someone being able to access good tools for cheap and not needing to have an elitist knife to enjoy preparing a good meal.

With knives, I try anything I can get my hands on, ali baba purchased knives and blade blanks, refurbished antique fair/swap meet finds that started as rust buckets, home made knives, to a handful of pieces that would be considered fairly high end.

Occasionally, I've been invited to do some pop up sales in the area after doing some pieces or re-handles for folks locally. I bring such a random mess of the cheap stuff I try out and enjoy to refurbished/re-handled pieces and some occasional self-made knives in either aeb-l or from old two-man crosscut saw blades or lumber mill saw blades. I try not to hemorrhage money and for every knife I sell, I probably end up giving away a whetstone, or a knife to some broke grad student who wants to ask about knives or sharpening. The first time I did it, I sold about $300.00 in goods and made about $30.00 (don't tell my significant other, she only heard the sold $300.00 part). Talking to my friend who invited me out, I was stoked, I spent 5 hours on a Saturday talking about knives and a couple people actually gave me some money in the process! The best part was talking to a young couple who moved from the Midwest for grad school and asked about where they could get their grocery store bought knives sharpened. They walked away with a small aus10 gyuto for $10.00 because they wouldn't let me give it to them for free and I told them to go to the local knife shop for sharpening unless they wanted to try whetstones.

Whatever gets you stoked is awesome. Even better is getting to share the stoke. Cheers to all of you that share the stoke about knives, working on knives, refurbishing knives, making knives and making good food.

P.S. Sorry, this had nothing to do with knife findings.

ThirdJewel

Reaction score

KnifeWear has the Munetoshi migaki 120 petty, 165 santoku, 210 gyuto, and 240 gyuto in stock.

Reaction score
KnifeWear has the Munetoshi migaki 120 petty, 165 santoku, 210 gyuto, and 240 gyuto in stock.

Pretty rare case of knifeware price actually close to their competitors

Delat

Dazed & Confused
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

Honestly if that was the case for me I could’ve stopped with a Yoshikane which was my 2nd j-knife purchase. Most everything else I’ve bought since then was either out of curiosity or b/c I just plain thought it looked cool. But nothing really cuts objectively better than that Yoshikane; sure they all feel different and excel at different tasks, but nothing is dropping through a thick sweet potato easier than my Yoshi (YMMV).

I really do like the feeling that most of my knives look like handmade art and are actually handmade art, and by purchasing them I’m supporting an independent artisan vs a faceless large company.

Reaction score
Some pretty interesting Kawachi kiritsuke gyutos on JNS
Does anyone have any experience with this smith? Also, what purpose does the curvy spine have?
so, anyone tried one of those (210 or 240)? profile looks interesting, not super flat like other kiritsukes.

tostadas

Reaction score
A really nice used Takeda NAS 240 with a saya available at CKC for a steal

Reaction score
A really nice used Takeda NAS 240 with a saya available at CKC for a steal
Good grief, can't believe I missed this! Been after one for a while

Reaction score

Beautiful blue 1 dammy Kagekiyo on Sugi. Wish I could swing this…. Along with one of his handles. What a beautiful blade