Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how much, but I heard the prices went up. If true, I don't blame him, his stuff sells instantly, even at Eating Tools prices. Personally, I'd rather have the performance of a Kamon along with the amazingly engineered handles over pretty much any crazy damascus piece.

Not sure how much, but I heard the prices went up. If true, I don't blame him, his stuff sells instantly, even at Eating Tools prices. Personally, I'd rather have the performance of a Kamon along with the amazingly engineered handles over pretty much any crazy damascus piece.
Not by that much, his new newsletter monosteel beast is a lot cheaper.

Not by that much, his new newsletter monosteel beast is a lot cheaper.
That price is significantly cheaper, but my understanding is there is no discount for retailers. That price also excluded shipping and, if applicable, PayPal fees. In my past experience my denty Gigantoku was about 15% higher price than a plain finished gyuto purchased about 6-8 months apart.

(1160€ +30 shipping) x 1.035 for PayPal fees= 1231.65 €

(1160 x 1.15) = 1334€ + 30= 1364€ x 1.035 for PayPal fees = 1411.74€

Excluding Paypal, at 20% retail markup that's about 1637€/$1781 and at 30% retail markup it is about 1773€/$1929.

Help me be a bit less stupid - what is a slip joint? thanks.

A non locking knife with a half stop. Like a swiss army knife or buck 110

Yep it is a folding knife without a blade locking mechanism. Not all slip joints have half stops though, many do not. The Buck 110 with it's "tail" back lock is actually considered the grandfather of all modern lockers. While there had been very isolated locking mechanisms in the past they were not popular and vastly out numbered by slip joints. Chuck Buck came up with the 110 in the mid-60's and it took the world by storm.

The next major leap was when Sal Glesser introduced the pocket clip.

And here we are today. :)

Last edited:
Are Ikenami from knifejapan and Tabata from CKTG the same company? They're both from Tanegashima Island and the website of tabata homono has a very similar catalog to Ikenami.
http://tabatahamono.jp/
I love this kind of detective work. It's clear even with the lo-res photos on KJ and CKTG that the maker marks are almost identical – and it'd be pretty surprising if there were two knifemakers on the same small island making such a similar and specific range of knives (e.g. a 210mm cleaver).

EDIT: See this informative post on the 本種 kanji.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 10.33.31 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 10.33.45 AM.png

Last edited:
Back