Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 630 before shipping and import fees, would be around 750 total? That's usually what around the yanagis do from what I see. Around 600 on the low end to 1k on higher end. Much slower selling on the yanagis compared to gyutos, they tend to sit. Let me know the name of the guy I'm curious.
Pretty sure the 240 kasumi we're talking about is a yanagi not gyuto FYI

What's wrong with 1k for a kasumi 240? I paid that. I don't think you can get one for cheaper at any retailer currently. For retailers that stock them, around there is the going rate. Stuff is expensive, if you wanted a kasumi shig for 600 gotta go back to 2016 lol
Tetogi recently sold a 300 mm kasumi yanagiba for half the price of JNS.

There is a 300 mm kasumi yanagiba for sale in a shop in Japan right now for Y85500 - what is that in USD? Same size kitaji for under double that. A 210 kitaji gyuto for less than the yanagiba with a western handle. The seller has 32 different blades for sale, + kiridashi's and made to orders....
Apologies in advance because I'm really not trying to single you out since this is hardly the first instance, but I have to say (even as someone who has zero interest in buying a Shig), this kind of post is a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to go to this level of detail, just tell people what the website or name of the shop is rather than send a bunch of people endlessly searching the internet or leave folks feel frustrated. If you want to protect your secrets, that's totally fine too, but then don't dangle them in front of people.

About 630 before shipping and import fees, would be around 750 total? That's usually what around the yanagis do from what I see. Around 600 on the low end to 1k on higher end. Much slower selling on the yanagis compared to gyutos, they tend to sit. Let me know the name of the guy I'm curious.
:) he does not ship, he does not answer e-mails. He may not speak English.

Apologies in advance because I'm really not trying to single you out since this is hardly the first instance, but I have to say (even as someone who has zero interest in buying a Shig), this kind of post is a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to go to this level of detail, just tell people what the website or name of the shop is rather than send a bunch of people endlessly searching the internet or leave folks feel frustrated. If you want to protect your secrets, that's totally fine too, but then don't dangle them in front of people.
:) he does not ship, he does not answer e-mails. He may not speak English.

Tetogi recently sold a 300 mm kasumi yanagiba for half the price of JNS.
I did indeed see that but that's not really the norm these days. Zahocho just sold one for 1k and his prices are usually pretty fair. I think normal pricing is sort of in the middle between tetogi and jns.

Does anybody know how much the gyutos went for? By the time I woke up around 6 on the west coast, only the 240 yanagiba was left (which is also gone now despite the 1k+ price). Thanks

Does anybody know how much the gyutos went for? By the time I woke up around 6 on the west coast, only the 240 yanagiba was left (which is also gone now despite the 1k+ price). Thanks

Haha, fair enough. And thanks for taking my post gracefully.
I think your point still stands. Not exactly a fair comparison between a vendor that ships and anyone can buy from and a vendor that most here can't buy from. It's sort of like saying, "I have a friend with the same knife that will sell to me for half the price", that's great and all, but how does that matter or help anyone? I just don't understand the point of talking about a knife that can't be purchased in this context.

Last edited:
Haha, fair enough. And thanks for taking my post gracefully.
I think your point still stands. Not exactly a fair comparison between a vendor that ships and anyone can buy from and a vendor that most here can't buy from. It's sort of like saying, "I have a friend with the same knife that will sell to me for half the price", that's great and all, but how does that matter or help anyone? I just don't understand the point of talking about a knife that can't be purchased in this context.
http://www.kiya-hamono.co.jp/item/catalog2.html#shigefusa
Try them.

My experience of contacting sellers in Japan has been very good - the difference between never getting one and waiting some months is self evident.

"a vendor that ships and anyone can buy from and a vendor that most here can't buy from" - mmm I have tried to buy a Jiro from vendors in Japan, Holland, Denmark, USA, Australia. Those are vendors that ship that most people here can't buy from. The only difference between them and the shop I mentioned is he doesn't ship, he doesn't answer. (though I have been in touch with European sellers who do not answer either). People post knives here all the time which are gone before anyone has the chance to buy them, except the One lucky person. Again, knives that most of us cannot buy.
My post was about prices, about the curious differences in prices, about the changes in prices.
Last week a Shigefusa nakiri sold on a Japanese auction for 66 000. That was the start price. 2 years ago the start price used to be 0. It's interesting from a market/price curiosity-perspective.

couteau cuisine ,acier damas, forge vg10 (2) is another guy that ships that you cannot buy from.

here is another; Shigefusa Hocho Kitaeji, Usuba, Vegetable Knife | Traditional hocho | Dictum and they ship everywhere - very serious people!

JNS is probably the source of most Shigefusa's outside Japan - look at his fantastic archive - and again a person who ships who most of us cannot buy from.

It's a shame the guy I found doesn't ship or reply to mails, but he must have his reasons, and I have to respect that. After all, I have no choice. There are plenty of shops like that. This was just another one.

Try them.

My experience of contacting sellers in Japan has been very good - the difference between never getting one and waiting some months is self evident.

"a vendor that ships and anyone can buy from and a vendor that most here can't buy from" - mmm I have tried to buy a Jiro from vendors in Japan, Holland, Denmark, USA, Australia. Those are vendors that ship that most people here can't buy from. The only difference between them and the shop I mentioned is he doesn't ship, he doesn't answer. (though I have been in touch with European sellers who do not answer either). People post knives here all the time which are gone before anyone has the chance to buy them, except the One lucky person. Again, knives that most of us cannot buy.
My post was about prices, about the curious differences in prices, about the changes in prices.
Last week a Shigefusa nakiri sold on a Japanese auction for 66 000. That was the start price. 2 years ago the start price used to be 0. It's interesting from a market/price curiosity-perspective.

couteau cuisine ,acier damas, forge vg10 (2) is another guy that ships that you cannot buy from.

here is another; Shigefusa Hocho Kitaeji, Usuba, Vegetable Knife | Traditional hocho | Dictum and they ship everywhere - very serious people!

JNS is probably the source of most Shigefusa's outside Japan - look at his fantastic archive - and again a person who ships who most of us cannot buy from.

It's a shame the guy I found doesn't ship or reply to mails, but he must have his reasons, and I have to respect that. After all, I have no choice. There are plenty of shops like that. This was just another one.
This is all good from an academic pondering, but when comparing prices it is meaningless. We can only compare prices in a meaningful way when you can buy from all the vendors you are comparing. You can't say price from X is too high because Y charges less if you can't buy from Y.

Try them.

For that seller in JP, do they ship directly? I could also arrange a local purchase with my Tokyo plug but now comes the question of shipping knives through EMS haha

For that seller in JP, do they ship directly? I could also arrange a local purchase with my Tokyo plug but now comes the question of shipping knives through EMS hah
This is all good from an academic pondering, but when comparing prices it is meaningless. We can only compare prices in a meaningful way when you can buy from all the vendors you are comparing. You can't say price from X is too high because Y charges less if you can't buy from Y.
Where did I day price X was too high?

What's wrong with 1k for a kasumi 240? I paid that. I don't think you can get one for cheaper at any retailer currently. For retailers that stock them, around there is the going rate. Stuff is expensive, if you wanted a kasumi shig for 600 gotta go back to 2016 lol

There is a 300 mm kasumi yanagiba for sale in a shop in Japan right now for Y85500 - what is that in USD? Same size kitaji for under double that. A 210 kitaji gyuto for less than the yanagiba with a western handle. The seller has 32 different blades for sale, + kiridashi's and made to orders....
Since you replied to @jedy617 post where he was asking what was wrong with the price with a post about a shop that has lower prices, I understood it as you saying the discussed, original price is too high. Maybe I misunderstood 🤷‍♂️

Try them.

Interesting, I have bought from Kiya before, they does ship, but I didn’t buy a Shig, maybe they don’t ship Shig like other knives.

Level of knife finding

7n1t7w.jpg

Back