Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the price of a couple of Marko 240 Wh-es with good HT and more rafined profile and grind.

It's a pretty generic style of Damascus too, Kato Damascus is one of the only Japanese Damascus knives that I like. For the price of that Mazaki you can get a really amazing Catcheside Damascus that performs better too.

Debatable
Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I find dammy from the likes of Mazaki, Ikeda, Konosuke, Jikko, Y. Tanaka and Toyanabe all a bit blah. As Madelinez said, generic.

The only comparable dammy for me is Kazuyuki Tanaka's work. There is such a gorgeous 3D effect in the finish.

Last edited:
What’s debatable to me is that catcheside is a better cutter.
Mazaki dammy sells pretty easily whether or not you agree with the price or the style.
It’s just not something worth getting emotional about.

old.jpg

Speaking of Damascus, I think JNS has Toyama damascus yanagibas and gyutos in stock and a kasumi nakiri as well

I’m not a huge tanaka fan usually but that yo dammy from strata is beautiful.

There are definitely some nice dammy knives out there besides kato. IMO at least. I have seriously enjoyed every mazaki I have purchased. Love his stuff. Would I spend that money on those dammies? No, probably not. I’m sure someone will though. I think it’s a little early in the game to be pricing that high for Maz but hey.. what are you gonna do.. I could care less about dammy. Just want to see more blue from him.

Regardless of the Maz dammy price, it’s a guaranteed banger. For all the crazy styles we were all witness to (I tapped out at 12), I can verifiably say that everyone I got except one were great knives. And as predicted, it looks as though he’s settled into his style. Hard to say what will happen though. The list of things I could buy for 1600 (KW garage sale price) is rather staggering.

Yeah. I’m stumped. Because I really love Maz.
Someone was saying they dammy pattern also isn’t that grabbing- which like most I’ve never been super drawn to dammy either. If I was going for dammy, there’s Kobayashi, Tanaka ironwood, and the old Yoshikane sld.

Hell I bought it... I’ve pissed away $500 on worse things I guess. May be for sell again in a few weeks. Still in love with that TxK Greg.

Hell I bought it... I’ve pissed away $500 on worse things I guess. May be for sell again in a few weeks. Still in love with that TxK Greg.
Man that makes me happy to hear. Those are instant classics, the TxK.
The Jiro- you’re gonna love it, I picked up 3 and kept the one that spoke to me. It’s a really unique knife. If I had one complaint- it would be that the handle is a bit too thin near the neck, so pinch grip is a bit awkward. Otherwise it’s one that’ll likely stay with me forever. Wish I had that black handle one tho, those look nifty. It’s like the HST quote- ‘too strange to live, too strong to die..’

Back