Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it’s conspiratorial of me, but I wonder if that’s because they’re not polished.

Guys, would you tell me who is the manufacturer of this deba?
Thanks

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 33
Compared to say a choil shot from the last mazaki batch at CKC that knifewear choil shot for the dammy is depressing lol.

OK So first thoughts on the Munetoshi gyuto 240 from CC. It is an ugly knife that lacks attention to details but it will cut decently. The kurouchi is nice but the sandblasted finish of the edge with a shiny hagane makes for a cheap feel of mass production. I will put it to the stones and try to put a hazy kasumi for a more natural rustic feel.
The profile has a raised heel and runs with an uneven belly from heel to tip. Uneven because It has a flat spot in the middle.
The knife is not thick and it doesn't wedge. It cuts well and it is ok functionaly. But it's not something to enjoy visually as a thing of beauty or masterfully made. It's just a knife with a decent steel that will get the job done. For the price payed it is worh its money!
Would I buy a honyaki from Munetoshi? No!
Would I buy another Munetoshi butcher? Yes!
I really started to like the Munetoshi (a lot). The Nakiri is just perfect. Resambles the kato profile and the distal taper starting at 4mm then quickly thining into a 1mm. It is very rigid with zero flex, it is thinner grind than Kato ( because of the higher shinogi line) and it just doesn't wedge. The steel is very hard and takes a shaving razor edge. And i mean this literally: i can shave with it and it cuts through thin tissues. This week i have been using it in every meal prep and so far i don't see any chip or roll or shinny spots on the edge. I sharpend the gyuto as well to a crazy sharp feel on jnats and again no wedge, good steel, great deal. I don't care about minor details when a knife performs very well.

Last edited:
I really started to like the Munetoshi (a lot). The Nakiri is just perfect. Resambles the kato profile and the distal taper starting at 4mm then quickly thining into a 1mm. It is very rigid with zero flex, it is thinner grind than Kato ( because of the higher shinogi line) and it just doesn't wedge. The steel is very hard and takes a shaving razor edge.
Have you tried a watanabe nakiri?

I think I'm on the wrong coast for those releases, time wise that is. They seem to go on sale in the early am. One day though... :)
Not necessarily. Maksim spreads out the releases. I got my 210WH Ku at around 12.30pm CST:) A modicum of patience, persistence and luck can usually land a JNS Kato.

Yea you can only access from non mobile site, otherewise you have to type in the name because it will only give an option to click on sold.

And to go back a week, I just got one of those Munetoshi's from clean-cut and that thing is one hell of a knife. I don't feel the finish is worse than anything other knife in that style under $200.

Yea you can only access from non mobile site, otherewise you have to type in the name because it will only give an option to click on sold.

And to go back a week, I just got one of those Munetoshi's from clean-cut and that thing is one hell of a knife. I don't feel the finish is worse than anything other knife in that style under $200.

You can hold the link to open it in a new window then bookmark it for later use, but yeah, not ideal.

What’re the prices looking like from JNS rn respectively?

this is the only time when the West Coast isn’t the Best Coast. So hard to catch him with those early drops.

I was charged a little over $1070. International fee also. Actually all together according to my banking statement I might’ve paid $1100 (I opted for free shipping).
To put this in perspective the day before I purchased a very nice condition Kato WH for $1175.

Back