Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did JP makers somehow get a shipment of wrought iron or found some wayward anchor somewhere? Either way I am excited to see more of them use it. Waiting for people like Manaka, Kurosaki, Hinoura, Tomura/Naohito, Yoshizawa, etc to get their hands on some
Hinoura and Tomura have both made wrought stuff fwiw

The Migoto wrought iron gyutos can't be Tanaka right? Otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't keep the blacksmith a secret. I wonder who made them
Who cares. It’s just another blue 1 gyuto. If you already tried a number of Tanaka’s blue 1 gyutos already, you won’t be blown away by any of these. Guaranteed. Only get em if you need em.

Doesn't the sharpener of the knife make a difference? i.e. Myojin vs Kyuzo?
Yes. But not by much. In the world of Japanese knives, there are only two knives that have either a grind or a heat treat that is so above everything else, that they can blow away even seasoned knife users. Kiyoshi kato for the grind, and TF Denka for the steel. The rest of them are just good knives. No matter how good.

Who cares. It’s just another blue 1 gyuto. If you already tried a number of Tanaka’s blue 1 gyutos already, you won’t be blown away by any of these. Guaranteed. Only get em if you need em.
If people only bought them if they "needed" them, no one would buy them. I doubt anyone "needs" them.

Yes. But not by much. In the world of Japanese knives, there are only two knives that have either a grind or a heat treat that is so above everything else, that they can blow away even seasoned knife users. Kiyoshi kato for the grind, and TF Denka for the steel. The rest of them are just good knives. No matter how good.
Kind of a simpleton answer. Of course, everyone is titled to their "opinion," but I think there would be plenty of people that have experience with both Katos and TFs that would disagree with you, including myself. If you had simply made a case that there is alot of Tanakas out there right now that have a lot of similarities, I wouldn't think that would be such a crazy case. Also with the wrought iron it's about uniqueness and subtleties that would give the aesthetics a different feel to alot of other Tanakas out there. This hobby us about recognizing subtleties or appreciating them. Your response is a little two notes, but whatever.

This guy just asked what the rarest japanese knives are comparing Tsukasa hinoura to konosuke...I don't think he has a clue. How do you have a name thats literally a nod to jnats but have takes this bad/be this clueless. Just into razors maybe?

Idk I have a denka and a kato, they are cool but not really blowing me away man.

It's 10pm in Australia and they still have not gone on sale. I wonder if they have all sold via email.
That would be frustrating if so.

I’ve totally sacked off yesterday’s promise not to get involved…

Need a whole picture to access the grind, I've seen worse but cuts surprisingly well. Tho I assume most people buy it to polish the wrought.
Yeah, choil obviously only tells a small part of the story. But so far I'm not liking this introduction as someone who does have knives they don't use ahaha

Back