Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They may have been more scarce in the past but that doesn't mean that they are abundant now.

"...kono will call as much as they can Fujiyama to double margins." Oh please...:rolleyes:

They may have been more scarce in the past but that doesn't mean that they are abundant now.

"...kono will call as much as they can Fujiyama to double margins." Oh please...:rolleyes:
Kinda like saying cover songs are better than the originals. Pfft.

Good deal on an unused octagonal handled TF 240 Nashiji gyuto on Ebay. $200 or best offer.

There’s some new konosuke fujiyama gyutos on toshoknifearts right now.

There's quite a bit of difference in terms of the grind on the old(wide bevel) and new fujiyamas. Does anybody have both? Any performance difference between the 2?

Which are you referring to? The white steel or blue steel variants? Fujis have had multiple periods of evolution. I don’t even know what a fuji is in today’s sence as I haven’t bought a new one since 16. I have heard the new ones are sporting a finished edge whereas the older ones the owner was meant to sharpen to his personal taste. You couldn’t slice paper cleanly with an old Fuji out of the box.

I wonder who makes the fujiyamas.. I know kono never disclosed but any eagle eyes out there?

I wonder who makes the fujiyamas.. I know kono never disclosed but any eagle eyes out there?
I know that Morihiro was the original fujiyama sharpener.

From my understanding, his son has taken over the forging and grinding of the new fujiyama line.

IMG_0229_1080x.jpg

https://foodgear.dk/collections/kokkeknive/products/custom-fujii-shirogami-2-honyaki-gyuto-21-cm-19

I know that Morihiro was the original fujiyama sharpener.

From my understanding, his son has taken over the forging and grinding of the new fujiyama line.

I believe the blacksmith is yoshikazu tanaka and not the son, but the sharpener is no longer morihiro for the new line.

I believe the blacksmith is yoshikazu tanaka and not the son, but the sharpener is no longer morihiro for the new line.
I have heard that as well. Perhaps then y tanaka was the very first fujiyama sharpener, followed by morihiro and now his son?

Tanaka-San is a blacksmith.... morihiro-San and his son are sharpeners.... I can promise morihiro San isn’t forging and Tanaka-San isn’t sharpening.

I can understand the desire for folks to know who is doing what and what changes have occurred in the production of popular brands/lines, but maybe we should all do Jon and ourselves a favor and try to only make statements that are factually true, rather than mistakenly perpetuating assumptions and deductions based on speculation or word of mouth.

Trying to speculate who is doing what in the production cycle of a knife without inside knowledge is a bit like trying to guess which of the line cooks at a restaurant prepared your steak, or the potatoes, or the sauteed greens without ever stepping in the kitchen or asking the server.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Well if Kosuke can be considered the horses mouth, Y. Tanaka is indeed the Fujiyama line bladesmith. Morihiro has been superceded by a new sharpener.

Last edited:
I can understand the desire for folks to know who is doing what and what changes have occurred in the production of popular brands/lines, but maybe we should all do Jon and ourselves a favor and try to only make statements that are factually true, rather than mistakenly perpetuating assumptions and deductions based on speculation or word of mouth.

Trying to speculate who is doing what in the production cycle of a knife without inside knowledge is a bit like trying to guess which of the line cooks at a restaurant prepared your steak, or the potatoes, or the sauteed greens without ever stepping in the kitchen or asking the server.

Just my two cents.
Got it. I stand corrected.

Got it. I stand corrected.

My comment wasn't meant to be a personal slight to anyone involved, so I apologize if it was interpreted that way. After all, it's hard to learn things without asking and talking about them, and that's what this forum is here for, to talk and learn. I wouldn't want to dissuade anybody from trying to get information they want/need.

It was more of just a reminder to try to avoid creating confusion and misinformation regarding the facts that can sometimes takes on a life of its own.

Back