Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really hate on the pizza cutter since I tried getting a custom bench knife made from someone here before. I was told very kindly that the amount of time and money to be vain over a $7 tool wasn't worth it for either of us.

The integrity to his craft got me to say "...**** it, let's do a 270 then!" though.

I can't really hate on the pizza cutter since I tried getting a custom bench knife made from someone here before. I was told very kindly that the amount of time and money to be vain over a $7 tool wasn't worth it for either of us.

The integrity to his craft got me to say "...**** it, let's do a 270 then!" though.
But the patina! The bog oak handle!

If I had a wood fired pizza oven in the backyard and friends over for pizza often I’d have bought that cutter.
Never made pizza at home so no use for it. Price is subjective, BST on any given day looks to the average joe the same as that pizza cutter

Yes, with ¥12.000-¥20.000 for the handle. I’ll skip that
I picked up one of his last iron clad 210 sujis and he offered me option for a custom handle. Said yes, got the bill, between the handle and shipping I paid about 200$ over the blade price. Love Wat, but that’s steep. So I have a 500$ 210 petty.

Last edited:
I picked up one of his last iron clad 210 sujis and he offered me option for a custom handle. Said yes, got the bill, between the handle and shipping I paid about 200$ over the blade price. Love Wat, but that’s steep. So I have a 500$ 210 petty.
Yeah, he charged a lot for the handle.
im getting a gyuto, petty and honesuki. He still charges me delivery fee for the second and third knife (¥400 extra for each) doesn’t specify why.
When other vendors would have offer a free shipping already

Sell it on eBay or to CKTG
Nope. Not my thing
It is not hard to pick up a hard wood handle in OZ. Chefsarmoury offers a lot of hardwood handle with pricetag around aus$50-80 (not include fitting) they only offer that for in-house customer only(as every knife tang is different so it need to be inspected before fitting)
Once in a while KnS also offers some vry cheap handles (original handle from masamoto/kurosaki and other maker)

Yeah, he charged a lot for the handle.
im getting a gyuto, petty and honesuki. He still charges me delivery fee for the second and third knife (¥400 extra for each) doesn’t specify why.
When other vendors would have offer a free shipping already
Yeah. He’s a businessman through and through. I’m about supporting people through my purchases but after the last 2 (of 5) that I gotten from him, I’ve started to sense that he’s not really into taking care of his repeat customers. Not asking for a handout, just not asking to get robbed of 150$ for a handle. Whoever makes his knives is still a terrific smith, I just won’t be owning any more in the future.

Yeah. He’s a businessman through and through. I’m about supporting people through my purchases but after the last 2 (of 5) that I gotten from him, I’ve started to sense that he’s not really into taking care of his repeat customers. Not asking for a handout, just not asking to get robbed of 150$ for a handle. Whoever makes his knives is still a terrific smith, I just won’t be owning any more in the future.
True.. Watanabe at its price right now is a good value, if it goes any higher than that, i will probably spend the money elsewhere.

Handles are a way of making business for many knife shops and knife makers. If you come to think about it most use exotic and pricy materials( like hard essence wood or bone or horns)and that adds to the price tag. To be honest I prefer my ho wood handles more just because that makes me focus on the essential which is the blade. For some of the fancier knives which I buy I take into account the cost of the handle and that makes me understand if the overall knife package is a good deal or not.

Plus they can actually detract from the user experience. Good case in point is Ebony. Its heavy and usually highly polished making it very slick. Give me a nice functional wood handle with natural grain for optimal grip like burnt chestnut or bog wood any day. The likes of Ebony and stabilized exotic wood is just form over function and merely adds to the price. Makers should focus on getting the profile right.

I feel like Sin is hit or miss man lol. It all depends. Sometimes it beez like that I guess. These days I find myself trying to support those who have great customer service and treat repeat customers like their valued. I tried my absolute best to do that when I had my small business a few years back.

You see the fancy handles way more in western makers, but these days there seems to be a lot more coming out by way of Hito trend for sure. If there’s an option for ho wood, count me in 9/10 times usually (unless burnt chestnut is an option😜, case in point, cktg). This was the first time it presented itself for me (from Sin) and I felt an obligation. We had spent a couple days in nyc together and he was gifted a couple Marko handles from an emissary in our party. So it seemed like a great idea to see how his ‘Marko inspired’ work came out. Right up until the invoice came 😂. But whatever, I have a great story and a killer knife. Probs never sell it anyway.

Back