Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah thatā€™s kind of crazy for a santoku.. I think I would rather do that myself lol.

Summer Sale on JNS starting today up to 10th of August.
Right now Munetoshi Honyaki 210.

I've been staring at the Munetoshi Honyaki for over a year and half. Just never been able to make my mind up on it and pull the trigger.
Do it now. Not the greatest hamon ever but still quite nice when polished and for the sale price it's good value. I have the 210 one and really like it, no regrets.

Do it now. Not the greatest hamon ever but still quite nice when polished and for the sale price it's good value. I have the 210 one and really like it, no regrets.

How's the edge retention? I've got some White 2 and I'd like longer edge retention. It's not that I use my knives that hard, but I'm an OK sharpener so I just don't like to do it that often.

I would rate it as pretty good for a White steel. Used it at work full time for a week with no problems. Before sharpening I just used a strop to keep the sharpness. While still a White steel, edge retention was overall nice imo and quite nice to sharpen.
@Matus might also chime in here and push you over the top, he has it a bit longer than I do.

I really like the form factor and the HT is fantastic. I have not expected that white#2 can be so hard and tough at the same time. So if one is looking for a nimble, semi-laser with an actual distal taper and very good grind, it is hard to go wrong with it.

Just looked at that one... What happened to DKK?! 4000dkk is now $632. Granted, I haven't bought anything from Maxim in a while, but the dkk is on a moonshot...

Just looked at that one... What happened to DKK?! 4000dkk is now $632. Granted, I haven't bought anything from Maxim in a while, but the dkk is on a moonshot...
Just checked Danish Crowns are staying quite consistant while the US Dollar plummeted. Need to buy something from the US lol.
Swedish Crowns are pretty high right now. 210 Birgersson was nearly as much as I paid for my 240 Dalman Collab knife.

Just checked Danish Crowns are staying quite consistant while the US Dollar plummeted. Need to buy something from the US lol.
Swedish Crowns are pretty high right now. 210 Birgersson was nearly as much as I paid for my 240 Dalman Collab knife.
Itā€™s true. I noticed this the other day too. Time for investment. Postpone selling.

Should I state the obvious? The US dollar is depreciating due to the worsening covid situation. While most E.U. countries have the situation under control and are working on rebuilding their economy, U.S. economy contracted by 30% since the pandemic.

You need to look at the price chart of Australian Dollars against US Dollars. Aussie dollar has risen quite a bit as well.

When the US can easily borrow another cheap interest-paying trillion dollars into existence, that's a lot of new dollars chasing after a limited supply of goods.

I really like the form factor and the HT is fantastic. I have not expected that white#2 can be so hard and tough at the same time. So if one is looking for a nimble, semi-laser with an actual distal taper and very good grind, it is hard to go wrong with it.

Thanks Matus. I had errands to do and by the time I could look again. It was sold out. Maybe the next time they go on sale...

I've been staring at the Munetoshi Honyaki for over a year and half. Just never been able to make my mind up on it and pull the trigger.
Mmmmmmmmmm nope. Plenty of other knives at that price that are easily better contenders.

Mmmmmmmmmm nope. Plenty of other knives at that price that are easily better contenders.

The only reason I'm look at it is to try an "affordable" honyaki. I suspect that my Fuji FM in White 2 is an "equal" heat treatment of white and was had for less.

What I really want to score a deal on is a top notch treatment of blue....

Back