Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my opinion too, which is why i posted the link. Quite a bit of interesting stuff on the site, and most of the prices were not out of line. Wish I could afford the Wat. That specific knife is on my wish list.

really sad Shin doesnt make 225's anymore. I tried a used 225, wasn't too special. i'm thinking an untouched one is a different experience.

also, heard you met my coworkers haha

That was my opinion too, which is why i posted the link. Quite a bit of interesting stuff on the site, and most of the prices were not out of line. Wish I could afford the Wat. That specific knife is on my wish list.

They’ve been around for years, but not much focus on kitchen knife. The 210 with custom handle has 4mm spine vs. the Ho/ 3mm spine, & a bit more heft, would be my preferred one between the two.

really sad Shin doesnt make 225's anymore. I tried a used 225, wasn't too special. i'm thinking an untouched one is a different experience.

He did a small batch of 225s a few months ago, I bet he’d be open to doing more. The newer stainless clad seem thinner than his previous ironclad offerings, but still very nice knives.

Looks like they do consignment sales. How would you know you aren't getting a used knife that has been spiffed up and sold as new? Other than specifically asking and assuming the dealer knows.

Looks like they do consignment sales. How would you know you aren't getting a used knife that has been spiffed up and sold as new? Other than specifically asking and assuming the dealer knows.
They state whether it's used or new. Other than picking it up in person and being able to judge it yourself, the integrity of them is the only thing you can do. They have been in business awhile. They don't sell much kitchen knives, hence not many knowing about it here. I buy mainly folding knives there.

Can anyone translate this? Or can anyone recommend this? Is it a good purchase(despite the shipping fees)?
From google translate I got that is from Sakai Takayuki Shiraki, Honyaki White#1. Can't see any hamon, and I spot patina/pitting?
No clear photos always scare me.

https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m57830367245

Can anyone translate this? Or can anyone recommend this? Is it a good purchase(despite the shipping fees)?
From google translate I got that is from Sakai Takayuki Shiraki, Honyaki White#1. Can't see any hamon, and I spot patina/pitting?
No clear photos always scare me.

https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m57830367245
Seems pretty cheap for an honiaky blade.. new or second hand?

Seems pretty cheap for an honiaky blade.. new or second hand?
Second hand. I do not trust poor quality pictures and especially google translate. So it might not be a honyaki at all.

I think you're confusing core steel with the chamfer Maz has filed into the choil to smooth it. What you're seeing are light reflections
Look closer, you can see the right side chamfer tranform to all core steel, it does look a little weird to me actually (without necessarily being anything wrong functionally). Like the bevel part is all core steel there. Choil looks like it has a raw etch, while the bevels looks to have a coarse kasumi.

Look closer, you can see the right side chamfer tranform to all core steel, it does look a little weird to me actually (without necessarily being anything wrong functionally). Like the bevel part is all core steel there. Choil looks like it has a raw etch, while the bevels looks to have a coarse kasumi.
OK, using the zoom feature I think I can see what you're talking about. Does look odd indeed.

Last edited:
Like 'honyama' with stones, 'honyaki' can be misleading. Nenox, Suisin, and others have lines labeled honyaki but they clearly aren't. 'Hon' means true or real, so it's like saying 'premium american cheese singles,' when everyone knows that premium is just marketing.

Unless they specify mizu-honyaki or abura-honyaki (water- or oil- quenched honyaki) I wouldn't trust it. They're not really lying, just taking advantage of a loose definition. After all, what knife isn't "true fired"?

All nakiris matter
@ma_sha1 was a bit rough with his, but he did shape it into what he wanted. I thought it was a bit like SMBD, so I was skeptical at first. I came around, especially since he was open about his goals.

Ckc got some Mazakis back in stock. It still looks like the photos from the batch they most recently had.

Ckc got some Mazakis back in stock. It still looks like the photos from the batch they most recently had.
Meh,
‘haven’t found a Mazaki I’ve liked since I got my first at K&S in 2017 for 250 bucks.

Attachments

• E8BCC6D9-4AF5-4F32-BE5A-44282E79369C.jpeg
    E8BCC6D9-4AF5-4F32-BE5A-44282E79369C.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DCA146EE-319C-492E-A198-E9A844DC31A0.jpeg
    DCA146EE-319C-492E-A198-E9A844DC31A0.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 3B079548-75CF-4676-99EA-FE636E667E85.jpeg
    3B079548-75CF-4676-99EA-FE636E667E85.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 78
Back