Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I asked a friend who is a blacksmith, "why don't you make stainless sanmai knives for easier maintenance?"

It turned out that laminating stainless with carbon steel is a very challenging process which requires special equipment and techniques. I'm not aware of another famous Japanese smith other than TF who does stainless clad by himself.

If stainless sanmai is already challenging, forging stainless damascus in-house is mission impossible...

I wasn't trying to make a statement on which is better. I really don't know. I posted the Shig petty as another example of a $1500 petty based on your post. I guess I initially took the meaning as: thats lot of money for a petty. Perhaps it was: thats a lot of money for a Haburn petty.

If stainless sanmai is already challenging, forging stainless damascus in-house is mission impossible...
Huh? I have a stainless damascus, and not one of the Japanese R2 or VG-10 damascus.

Raquin 210 coming later today.

Whoops, only talks about forging the stainless damascus in-house. Not so sure about stainless damascus in-house on sanmai stainless core. Sorry.

Reactions: JDC
Bernal has a Shig nakiri with saya!

On an unrelated note, keep an eye on BST. There might be a 230mm spicy Heiji gyuto with enju handle listed soon.

According to Takeda, never.

Cow sword
1602707331917.png

Back