Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jiro still available. Is the hype over?:popcorn2:

Nope all three sold out all the same day as listed. Same with the ones Tosho got in this week. They move fast.

edit: I’m speaking about the availability. Hype I can’t comment on.

Last edited:
Ah hell. I’ll just show ya.
00CFABC8-CE6A-4327-B8FB-118B9472F9E4.jpeg
93F0753F-397F-4455-94D1-E507AE743006.png

082608EF-27EF-46CB-8422-3961FAA37786.jpeg

In progress shot here.

I have never heard of a half tang (is that a real thing??!), but this one goes all the way through, so I’m gonna go ahead and continue to call it a full tang 😉

Here's an example of half tang, it is a real thing.

There is absolutely no problem with half tang in any type of knife when done right, but some people incorrectly believe that outdoor knives just have to have full tangs.

Here's an example of half tang, it is a real thing.

There is absolutely no problem with half tang in any type of knife when done right, but some people incorrectly believe that outdoor knives just have to have full tangs.

I think I just got the joke- he only ‘sees half’ of the tang. Lolz.

Now that you mention it, I once saw Jon burn a plastic handle off a Forschner knife that had that kind of construction (local sushi chef swears by them I guess), my purist brain wouldn’t compute this half tang cockamamie

I think I just got the joke- he only ‘sees half’ of the tang. Lolz.

Now that you mention it, I once saw Jon burn a plastic handle off a Forschner knife that had that kind of construction (local sushi chef swears by them I guess), my purist brain wouldn’t compute this half tang cockamamie
Partial tangs are fine. After all WA handled knives have partial tangs.

Totally. I guess I just don’t understand why you’d only make half a tang. It seems disingenuous. It’s yo or wa. Pick one. Stop playin. Anyway. Carry on 😂

Partial tangs are fine. After all WA handled knives have partial tangs.
Partial tang is fine. But it doesn’t make sense to make half tang. From a construction POV it sounds more difficult than wa handle or full tang. And you don’t get the benefit of heavier handle from a full tang either.

Partial tang is fine. But it doesn’t make sense to make half tang. From a construction POV it sounds more difficult than wa handle or full tang. And you don’t get the benefit of heavier handle from a full tang either.
It makes sense when steel is very expensive or expensive to work with. For smaller knives there is no benefit to full tang since you don't need the full tang to balance the long, heavy blade. If anything to balance the knife you need to tapper, drill or somehow else reduce the full tang which adds to the cost and wastes steel. For smaller knives there is no structural difference since knives don't usually break in the middle of the handle. You could do it if you were hammering on the handle with something hard like a hammer, but even in that case you'd probably break the knife in the handle blade transition or somewhere else in the blade. In any case half tang is not a detriment to a knife when done right. As far as more difficult to make, that I don't know, but seems easier than tapering the tang for example.

Too beige?
Exactly. Beige is, very precisely, the colour of raw wool. In other words, sheep. And the opposite of sheep is expensive. Therefore, beige means low-priced.

Also, if you add an "n" you get "beigne". A beigne is either a doughnut or a whack in the head. A doughnut is beige and inexpensive. A whack in the head is inexpensive, which means it is also beige (see above). And the letter "n" plus a doughnut spells "no". Which is what you say when asked if you would like a whack in the head. It all makes sense.

Last edited:
Back