Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The San mai one interests me but it looks more like a Masamoto KK. The thing about the KS, is due to its mono construction it’s edge retention is ABSOLUTE dog shizzle. A San mai one might give it a proper heat treat. However I’m not impressed with the profile or tip or machi of that knife. And the choil doesn’t seem rounded as well as the ks

Yea Tanakas HT is the best IMO. That 270 Blue 1 Dammy with 54 height is tempting too but I have a tall Kono FM from him so I"m out.

Tosho just put on in their Instagram that they are getting some Dammy Blue 1 FM. I know this is cheaper, and while I like my Kono's I like buying more knives more.

Tosho just put on in their Instagram that they are getting some Dammy Blue 1 FM. I know this is cheaper, and while I like my Kono's I like buying more knives more.
Yea I may try to score one for the hell of it but frankly I don't need/love Dammy. Going to be a quick click race to get one.

Some bargains there on JNS.. Tempting indeed. Some obvious crowd pleasers for people wondering what to get: Munetoshi butcher and gyuto (petty sold out I see), Kaeru stainless gyuto and sujihiki. There is also that Jikko 200 gyuto damascus I’ve been eyeing for a while but can’t justify since I already have a 200mm Mizuno blue non-dammy.

The only thing holding me off is that I can get my handle of choice by ordering the Wat. And I have the Wat nakiri which I really like.

Peter is a sponsor of kkf. I have ordered from him in the past, and experienced some strange irregularity on the order form wherein it kept changing my info on the form to different people's info every time i would update the cart... probably just a momentary technology problem tho, and everything arrived just fine. I received prompt and courteous customer service and correspondence, even with help tracking down a package that dhl was taking forever to deliver (this was around the holidays, during a pandemic, so to be expected i suppose). I actually own the 210 with the rosewood handle from the page you linked. Sweet little knife.

There's some interesting 210 and 240 Wakui's at togo under the name Itto Ryu. Like a grapefruit tsuchime finish with a plastic ferrule, but decent price considering.

I get the feeling that those aren't actually made by Wakui. I know that they used to be, but look at the thicc grinds this time. My guess is that they don't divulge the maker not for "competitive reasons", but so that they can switch to lesser known makers to keep the cost down, or use apprentices work without having to put a known makers name to it. I have zero evidence to back up this assertion. But look at the dramatic change in the appearance and grind of these compared to the last batch and other Wakuis. Would yall call that "thin" and "delicate" behind the edge?
Or maybe Toshihiro is going through a sort of adolescent phase, and is pumped to give wedgies. What do i know...
1618919843169.png

Last edited:
I get the feeling that those are actually made by Wakui. I know that they used to be, but look at the thicc grinds this time. My guess is that they don't divulge the maker not for "competitive reasons", but so that they can switch to lesser known makers to keep the cost down, or use apprentices work without having to put a known makers name to it. I have zero evidence to back up this assertion. But look at the dramatic change in the appearance and grind of these compared to the last batch and other Wakuis. Would yall call that "thin" and "delicate" behind the edge?
Or maybe Toshihiro is going through a sort of adolescent phase, and is pumped to give wedgies. What do i know...
View attachment 123549
Very different from the Itto Ryo that I had 4 years ago, it had a very thin grind, wish I hadnt let that one go.

I get the feeling that those aren't actually made by Wakui. I know that they used to be, but look at the thicc grinds this time. My guess is that they don't divulge the maker not for "competitive reasons", but so that they can switch to lesser known makers to keep the cost down, or use apprentices work without having to put a known makers name to it. I have zero evidence to back up this assertion. But look at the dramatic change in the appearance and grind of these compared to the last batch and other Wakuis. Would yall call that "thin" and "delicate" behind the edge?
View attachment 123549

In the link for the 210mm version, the description says that it's made by Wakui.

"IttoRyu knives are made for us by a blacksmith shop in Sanjo City named Wakui, whose main business is making crowbars. As this business has declined in the past decade they have branched out to kitchen knives and now make some very nice blades."

In the link for the 210mm version, the description says that it's made by Wakui.

"IttoRyu knives are made for us by a blacksmith shop in Sanjo City named Wakui, whose main business is making crowbars. As this business has declined in the past decade they have branched out to kitchen knives and now make some very nice blades."
I know, it's been saying that for years... and was probably true at one point, maybe back when Wakui was mostly making crowbars! But they don't update all those knife descriptions every time a new order comes in. And I'm not saying that they aren't made in his shop, I'm just saying that i don't think his hands are directly responsible for this batch.

Back