Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s just so sad and disappointing all at the same time. Most knife makers are making terrible knives at ungodly prices

I think a big wake up call is overdue

Can you put some context on your comment? What do you mean by “most.” I would say many of the makers and vendors that are well known here are putting out great knives, but curious what you are referring to. Those munetoshi honyaki a were straight according to maxim.

Can you put some context on your comment? What do you mean by “most.” I would say many of the makers and vendors that are well known here are putting out great knives, but curious what you are referring to. Those munetoshi honyaki a were straight according to maxim.
some people just hate the free market

Reactions: Sdo
CKTG has some Konosuke FMs coming. White 1 damascus 255 (true 240) at $550 and Blue 2 Cleaver at $499. The white 1 dammy price looks really good as I got my plain white 1 240 (233 edge) for $440.

Ok, I just saw that

I just get really upset when these knives cost so much and the quality control doesn’t match the price

I’ve had two knives $500+ from two different makers and two different vendors with really really bad quality control

I had to fight the vendors for refunds, and I keep reading stories of people with similar stories

Another thing people talk about here and experience are inconsistent profiles, inconsistent grinds, low spots in wide bevels etc

So I just buy custom and direct now, especially since the price points are virtually identical.

I think Maxim already checked and confirmed that all of them are straight

Ok, I just saw that

I just get really upset when these knives cost so much and the quality control doesn’t match the price

I’ve had two knives $500+ from two different makers and two different vendors with really really bad quality control

I had to fight the vendors for refunds, and I keep reading stories of people with similar stories

Another thing people talk about here and experience are inconsistent profiles, inconsistent grinds, low spots in wide bevels etc

So I just buy custom and direct now, especially since the price points are virtually identical.
This is not the right place for it and I don't know your particular situation, but by far most complaints come from a mismatch of expectations and reality. This happens with both Japanese sourced knives and customs by western makers. Many complaints of bad QC or inconsistencies come from incorrect expectations when spending so much on these knives. For example complaints of inconsistent profiles on hand made knives might seem valid, but are unrealistic in most cases. Even customs where the customer provides all the dimensions don't usually end up being exactly that. When forging, the size and profiles are estimates at best. Some western makers are very good at producing consistent profiles or being able to match measurements that customer provides, but most don't do that. Same for "mass" produced Japanese knives. Batches are roughly the same, but even within batches there are sometimes significant variations. You can only say these are QC problems if the maker was trying to be consistent which often times is not the case. Even blades that are slightly bent are very common from very well known and respected makers. At the end of the day some knives perform very well even when having some of these perceived issues and some that have perfect fit and finish don't. It is rare to find both. Many people who come from production knives into semi or full customs and now spend 10 times as much money per knife expect to get what they consider perfection. The reality is very different and the more knives you see and use the more you understand that some problems are not real problems and that the increase in price of customs is not due to them being more "perfect".

Ok, I just saw that

Low spots on wide bevel, what do you mean? Bevels are often done concave in purpose.

Buy direct, if you mean from the maker in Japan, it is not always the case you will end up with a product that you are satisfied with. In general, you should go through a retailer because they know how to approach the knife maker/factory, they know what can be done, they probably can speak Japanese.
Even then, it is suggested not to do that (in most cases) because there will be more focus (from the craftsmen) on existing lines for vendors, which will leave your single custom order obsolete.

To wrap it up, those craftsmen in Japan sometimes they get real busy and do not want to deal with custom orders too much, it will take time away from orders of existing line of knives from vendors. (which they usually have huge orders with the factories).

> complaints come from a mismatch of expectations and reality. This happens with both Japanese sourced knives and customs by western makers.

They come from *all* aspects of knives, not just those higher-end makers.

I thought people would have been turned down by the height of the Konosuke Damascus at 50mm for an edge length of 250mm. I was wrong.
Also I thought the cleaver would sell faster.
I also was wrong on that.

Idk. Recently I noticed that the resale price of FM series has been going up. The demand is crazy for sure.

Thanks. I bought it. Will report my impression once I got it.

Ive had a few of Mutsumi's knives, and I really like them. I have a 240 kicking around somewhere and a 210 I actually just just got done doing a full progression on today, granted in white, and I had another 240 at one point I put up on the BST. That 210 is one of my very favorite knives as it happens, though I will admit it's didnt come with the most even bevels Ive ever seen. That said, the geometry is really to my preference, and I like the feel, so I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Let us know how you get on with that knife, I might be interested in one myself tbh...

Ive had a few of Mutsumi's knives, and I really like them. I have a 240 kicking around somewhere and a 210 I actually just just got done doing a full progression on today, granted in white, and I had another 240 at one point I put up on the BST. That 210 is one of my very favorite knives as it happens, though I will admit it's didnt come with the most even bevels Ive ever seen. That said, the geometry is really to my preference, and I like the feel, so I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Let us know how you get on with that knife, I might be interested in one myself tbh...
AI@OM is very easy to work with. I placed my order at 4:35 pm and asked them to send me one with a thicker spine. They found me one with a 5.06 mm spine at 5:22 pm. And it has been shipped out. I already felt very good about it before touching it. Haha! As long as there is no major issue with the HT, I think I’m gonna love it. It has thick spine and good taper and it’s very thin BTE. And it has machi and nice handle. Very good package IMO.

Ai was great to buy from for me as well, I got a shig santoku from em. And I do love me some hinoura. One of my first hand made j knives is a santoku hinoura in AS that's still going strong

Ok who bought all 5 of them??? I checked one minute after and it was gone.
I got one of the cleavers.
I thought people would have been turned down by the height of the Konosuke Damascus at 50mm for an edge length of 250mm. I was wrong.
Also I thought the cleaver would sell faster.
I also was wrong on that.
Did you think the cleavers would sell faster than the gyutos? They were only seconds behind I think. The gyutos were a little shorter than they have been lately. I think my FM funyaki is a little taller, but they looked nice. I would of bought one.

Latest posts

Back