Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m thinking of picking this up as a project, but don’t wanna bid against another forum member.

Wouldn’t let me “quote”, this is about the TF.
I don't think anyone from the forums will bid on it, so you're welcome to bid away, but what @refcast said is right, the black rust is problematic. Just keep that in mind before you bid

I’m thinking of picking this up as a project, but don’t wanna bid against another forum member.

Wouldn’t let me “quote”, this is about the TF.
Doesn't look like too bad of a project knife to play with. But considering the overall condition and how much a 195 TF costs new if you order direct, I personally don't think it's a great deal.

Doesn't look like too bad of a project knife to play with. But considering the overall condition and how much a 195 TF costs new if you order direct, I personally don't think it's a great deal.
Exactly what I was thinking. I know that it’s a big project to take upon oneself, but I keep having this idea of making it a gyuto-hiki after removing the black pitted mess.

Last 'Man' for sale at Miura:

1652710630074.png

i've never seen an aogami super honyaki before. has a good looking hamon, too. neat.

Seems like a good deal, or atleast people seem to love them.
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...uto-210mm-pakka-handle-no-bolster-fine-finishAre these basically iron clad Maboroshis? Or no?
You can think of it like a Mab/Nashiji. Basically iron clad white#1. Handle shape is a little bit different than the Maboroshi but steel feels similar to me in terms of feel on the stones and in edge retention. Quality of handle fit&finish is really luck of the draw. I've had some that were pretty nice, and others that are complete trash. But all in all for the price, I think they're a steal.

Got some similarities but not same knife, the maboroshi is more pronounced convexed, the morihei fine finish are really super thin. Terrible handle but great cutting blade out of the box
It depends on the specific knife. I've had Morihei FF that are very thin, but also others that are much thicker as well. There's just as much variation as with any TF you look at.

Terrible handle
Not in my experience. The handles on the two Morihei Hisamoto's I owned were far better than the official TF's. More meat to them and better contoured, giving an altogether better in hand feel.
The SS Hisamotos are directly comparable grind wise to the Mabs. Gotta compare apples to apples.

You can think of it like a Mab/Nashiji. Basically iron clad white#1. Handle shape is a little bit different than the Maboroshi but steel feels similar to me in terms of feel on the stones and in edge retention. Quality of handle fit&finish is really luck of the draw. I've had some that were pretty nice, and others that are complete trash. But all in all for the price, I think they're a steal.

It depends on the specific knife. I've had Morihei FF that are very thin, but also others that are much thicker as well. There's just as much variation as with any TF you look at.
Yeah they vary for sure. From those I’ve seen, the 240s were pretty thin but the 210s were thicker. The maboroshi does feels nicer knife in terms of f&f

On my 240 the right bevel is convexd and left is bit concave, excellent cutter with very good food release.

49B3D3F0-31C9-47D8-BDB9-8C727E70DE93.jpeg

It's kind werid but you can actually see the panel gap in the choil shot, last time got to check a similar handled TF petty in person that looks alot better.

It's kind werid but you can actually see the panel gap in the choil shot, last time got to check a similar handled TF petty in person that looks alot better.
The gap in choil shot wouldnt concern me too much. I've had one that looked bad at that angle, and was actually pretty good. But I'd reach out and ask for one looking down directly at the spine. My most recent one had a huge gap when I received it, big enough to fit a live bug.
a2.jpg

Back