Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MTC just updated their price for Takamura Uchigumo knives. Seems like the price of 240 gyutos were increased by about $100 to $860. I asked them if that means they are getting new stock and the answer is no. They only received new price from Takamura…

MTC just updated their price for Takamura Uchigumo knives. Seems like the price of 240 gyutos were increased by about $100 to $860. I asked them if that means they are getting new stock and the answer is no. They only received new price from Takamura…
Lol maybe that means they’re taking orders again. Which means we may see them in a few years

Just to be clear, I talked to him in 2012, and he's changed his selling style. Inflated prices are a subjective term. I never said he isn't profiting, now you are just inventing lies.
So Bob Kramer is probably the richest chef knife smith in the world, who’s second?

I heard from somewhat reputable sources that Yu Kurosaki is the highest paid smith in Japan as the TKV/Masakage business model is based on high quantity and selling the same knife over and over with different kanji/hammer design (ie Fujin/raijin/senko).

This has worked so well for him that he apparently is the only smith with a black Amex card (I also think he gets a piece of all of those Masakage knives)

We know the Iizuka’s and Kiyoshi Kato aren’t anywhere near his value as most of their prices are from the market- and their ridiculously high standards mean their output is way lower than other makers.

Is there anybody close to Kramer’s league? All the Kurosaki info is admittedly from vendors who refuse to sell TKV knives (inconsistent quality and too many returns) so it may be biased/ exaggerated.

So Bob Kramer is probably the richest chef knife smith in the world, who’s second?

I heard from somewhat reputable sources that Yu Kurosaki is the highest paid smith in Japan as the TKV/Masakage business model is based on high quantity and selling the same knife over and over with different kanji/hammer design (ie Fujin/raijin/senko).

This has worked so well for him that he apparently is the only smith with a black Amex card (I also think he gets a piece of all of those Masakage knives)

We know the Iizuka’s and Kiyoshi Kato aren’t anywhere near his value as most of their prices are from the market- and their ridiculously high standards mean their output is way lower than other makers.

Is there anybody close to Kramer’s league? All the Kurosaki info is admittedly from vendors who refuse to sell TKV knives (inconsistent quality and too many returns) so it may be biased/ exaggerated.
That’s crazy if true. The richest smiths are probably the ones who smith very little and have expanded their business. Probably describes Kurosaki, maybe Takamura. I’m sure Bob makes a ton off his branded lines too, probably more than his actual knives

Yu Kurosaki isn't the one running Masakage. Takayuki Shibata is.

Yu Kurosaki isn't the one running Masakage. Takayuki Shibata is.
Interesting. He’s probably my favorite out of TKV- love my tinker tank and would pick up an AS Gyuto in a heartbeat.

Kurosaki still is one of the paramount Takefu guys- and his name is synonymous with Masakage (same with Kato and Shibata), and sells the most out of TKV.

Another weird thing is have you ever realized that TKV knives seem to all have identical profiles? Like every TKV knife I’ve ever held feels pretty homogeneous to each other.

They aren’t bad knives- they just aren’t exactly great knives.

Interesting. He’s probably my favorite out of TKV- love my tinker tank and would pick up an AS Gyuto in a heartbeat.

Kurosaki still is one of the paramount Takefu guys- and his name is synonymous with Masakage (same with Kato and Shibata), and sells the most out of TKV.

Another weird thing is have you ever realized that TKV knives seem to all have identical profiles? Like every TKV knife I’ve ever held feels pretty homogeneous to each other.

Like they share a cookie cutter?

They all kind different flavor of Masakage, not bad but not my taste. I do find Shiro Kamo make some excellent knife tho.

Does anyone know if all of Nakagawa Blue 1 Damascus are sharpened by Myojin?

I see some that exclusively say Nakagawa x Myojin and some that just say Nakagawa.

Last edited:
Some of the Damascus blue 1 have a wide bevel on them and some do not. I’m guessing the wide bevels would not be Myojin, could be wrong though.
You might be right, Sugi has all the non-wide gyutos listed with sharpener as Myojin

https://sugicutlery.com/collections/nakagawa/damascus
I know the Nakagawa Ginsan wide bevels was sharpener by Morihiro-san, **togo confined it too. It might be possible Morihiro-san could've help out on the Blue 1 Damascus wide bevels too.... who knows

https://sugicutlery.com/products/custom-nakagawa-satoshi-ginsan-3-gyuto-240mm-box-elder-burl

Back