Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ggggrrrr... Don't know why it's not showing right but if you click the Instagram link it opens Bernal Cutlery's page.

New old stock / unused vintage 1950’s Erik Anton Berg 11.25” scimitar (Sweden) and 1950’s Giesser 6” trimming knife.

Edit: Seems like it’s sold.

Sorry for Swedish original post. 180 honyaki with birch saya from bladesknivesandstuff. Listed for 5000 sek, roughly Euro 500. Joakim is a well-regarded guy in Sweden and would surely be convinced to ship abroad. He's also on IG. Login • Instagram

Skärmavbild 2022-08-09 kl. 15.24.27.png

Last edited:
I’m curious, do people who actually spring out more than 1k on a knife actually end up using them? At what point is it literally not meant to be used and only a show piece.

I’m curious, do people who actually spring out more than 1k on a knife actually end up using them? At what point is it literally not meant to be used and only a show piece.

I think it depends on the person but this definitely leans heavily on showpiece/collectible, being tamahagane and all (not to mention the grinds and the fact the cladding has wrapped around the edge on some of these). Hashimoto are probably the closest to being a functional showpiece given he is an artist yet they should have great grinds (Myojin).

Shigs are probably somewhere in between on the showpiece/tool spectrum.

Thanks for sharing this, it's not a bad deal. The only thing that stinks if shipping outside of Japan they would charge a 10% PayPal invoice fee and shipping too.
I couldn’t figure out how to overseas ship it.

I use mine- some Shigefusa, Kato and Honyaki. Can’t appreciate them completely until you use it!

I’m glad to see most people saying they use them. I just can’t imagine buying a knife to intentionally not use it. One day I’m sure I’ll hit that price point because some of these honyaki images are growing on me.

I’m glad to see most people saying they use them. I just can’t imagine buying a knife to intentionally not use it. One day I’m sure I’ll hit that price point because some of these honyaki images are growing on me.
The current price of Shigs and Kato is a reflection of the second hand market, but they were designed for use as a tool, so personally I would be more than comfortable putting one to work. Takaba and Hashimoto are examples of a more artistic vision, so I can see why people would buy those strictly for display purposes. Though I would be more than tempted to put a Takaba through some produce :)

I think most knives under 2k will probably get used, especially by people on this forum. I think of true collectibles as the Kramers and Gold Vein, in the over 20k category. Or maybe the rare BNIB unicorn from a deceased maker, but those are clearly exceptions vs current knives in production.

https://burrfectionstore.com/produc...gyuto-with-enju-handle?variant=42503308312795Damn the price increases are real. Nearly 600 for a 240mm white 2 SS clad.
(before the inevitable burrfection pile-on because of the Ryky association, the store has normal enough prices and this is not the first vendor to show these increased prices).
Although TBH, I'm not sure I necessarily value a Yoshikane that much less than say, a Tanaka Kyuzo, except for the fact my mind has anchored the fact that the Yoshikane costs half as much. I just wonder if this steep of an increase is killing the golden goose though.

Back