Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the Hitohiro website actually restock things? I have registered for bunch of stuff but never received any updates.
From my understanding, they receive them from Jiro and distribute to certified dealers. But I can not find where these 6 went. Maybe they instantly sold out or have not been released yet.

Newham posted some new ones on his website.

20220924_150525.jpg

Got myself a KU Nakiri, have to resist the gyuto, I have enough already.

Edit: Since JKI dont ship over Weekend, i'm curious if anyone had nakiri and gyuto at same time, which one would cut better?

Last edited:
I debated too long between that one and the s-grind and missed both. Very unusual to see him working with either copper or s-grind.

I liked Newham’s use of mixed cladding over V-gin1 semi-stainless steel. It looks like it was Takefu’s version of A2/SKD. Very nicely done and its not a direction many makers are going.

Last edited:
Almost grabbed the v-gin1 but have been in a hell of a buying spree....one day. By the way is email the best way to get to Newham? I've had 2-3 questions on dms that have never been read on Instagram

If you ask Jon, he's happy to talk about the steels/composition etc. Says it helps to have a conversation with folks, and he's quite open when you call.
Oh, Insee now on the website:
“Though we are not sharing the exact steel, the core steel is a very pure, high carbon steel with a very fine grain structure. It sharpens very easily and takes an amazing edge.”

I liked Newham’s use of mixed cladding over semi-stainless steel. It looks like it was Takefu’s version of A2/SKD. Very nicely done and its not a direction many makers are going.

I hadn’t heard of v-gin1 and after some googling I thought it was vg1 misspelled, so I passed. After some reflection I thought “why would a guy like Newham use vg1?”. So I googled more and realized it was actually Chromax / SKD12. Said “hell yes!”, went back to buy and it was gone.

Oh, Insee now on the website:
“Though we are not sharing the exact steel, the core steel is a very pure, high carbon steel with a very fine grain structure. It sharpens very easily and takes an amazing edge.”
I agree, it's a steel you can sharpen on any stone. Once you sharpen more and more you realize some steels just don't take the kind of edge you want, at least not easily. These have always taken whatever edge I want them to, from butchery to very refined veg/fish prep with ease. One of my all-time favorites. Also, worth having a chat with him even if you know they steel type - he's really helpful, has always steered me right.

Because everybody needs a hand-forged ku + tsuchime board scraper. These are $75.

Oh, man, now I know I've gone too deep into the rabbit hole: after seeing this, I legitimately want a handmade bench scraper. Not this one, but maybe one in 52100 or 26c3 with a burnt chestnut handle. I may have to make one for myself...

Also aogami super is so meh now that Apex ultra is out (saying this as someone who just spent almost $700 on it 🤣😭).

@moderncooking get some apex ultra to Y. Tanaka for me. Let's do a group order!
Man I’d love to organize some collaborations between Japanese and local European makers. I have a Hashimoto Shoichi X @KAMON Knives in mind. Just haven’t started that conversation with either party, but… 🤯😜

That sounds insane but my wallet is crying at the thought lol. I wonder if some of the younger makers would be more willing to do a collab. Tetsujin (myojin and tetsu bought young and willing to do interesting stuff) wrought iron/modern dama wrought workhorse with a birch bark handle from Jonas? Millions of possibilities! Nigara also does crazy stuff these days like the troll killer line and would totally collab I'm sure. Nakagawa too.

Back