Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id jump on it if I haven't already got a wide bevel Migoto in similar size. Still curious how it compare to other wide bevel like Kagekiyo or Kyuzo.
I've had both and I'd say mine was almost identical to a kyuzo, but my particular junpaku was a bit thinner behind the edge than the kyuzo (kyuzo was already quite thin, and was from 2 years ago, and junpaku is current, so take that for what you will). So just imagine a white 1 stainless kyuzo, and maybe will be a bit thinner haha.

Might as well toss in a choil shot, also really like the lacquered handle on mine:

jun.jpg

choil1.jpg

Liked the Junpaku more than Myojin sharpened knives, they’re still thin but not delicately thin and w more convexing. Still prefer the heavier HADO knives like ginsan and sumi line (200-214 grams vs 175 grams). Can’t wait for the blue 1 sumi line to drop.
I think it did drop unless they are calling this something else
sumi.jpg

Liked the Junpaku more than Myojin sharpened knives, they’re still thin but not delicately thin and w more convexing. Still prefer the heavier HADO knives like ginsan and sumi line (200-214 grams vs 175 grams). Can’t wait for the blue 1 sumi line to drop.
More convexing is opposite to my experience. Mine is dead flat and from what I understand that’s the intention. None of my Myojin knives are flat. Also my Junpaku is way thinner (easy to tell by looking at the clad line)

Yeah I completely disagree based on what I’ve used. And fwiw Junpaku had a thicker spine compared to Myojin offerings, Junpaku had prominent enough shinogi to definitely make it not perform with a flat feeling.
However the lamination line on my Junpaku wasn’t nearly as high up the blade as I’ve seen on others but still high.

Yeah I completely disagree based on what I’ve used. And fwiw Junpaku had a thicker spine compared to Myojin offerings, Junpaku had prominent enough shinogi to definitely make it not perform with a flat feeling.
However the lamination line on my Junpaku wasn’t nearly as high up the blade as I’ve seen on others.
Was your shinogi lower? They changed it to have a higher grind sometime this year I think.

FWIW, my Junpaku (bought this year from Miura) is 2.4mm spine, FM (2021) is 2.6mm spine. All my other Myojin knives are thicker than the FM. Ruler on the bevel on Junpaku shows it's flat or concave. No play between shinogi and edge at various points.

I'm curious whether this is by measurement or feel, because maybe the shinogi gives it that feel because the FM will flatten out about halfway but the Junpaku has an angle very high.

Attachments

• 3367A057-64F5-4B32-A10D-AB3FD8C8E801.png
    3367A057-64F5-4B32-A10D-AB3FD8C8E801.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
You would? I’m kind of wanting to try Ginsan. That’s one of the cheaper knives I’ve seen for the size and finish.

No, it's very pricey. As linked, it's that same knife as the kagekiyo, and you can use 10% off coupon code. Can also just get any nakagawa ginsan for 300 or so, which is what this is. Or a Hado ginsan. Also hot take, but ginsan is nothing special. I think the only real upside of it vs other stainless steels is ease of sharpening. Not a super fine grain structure, not super tough, not amazing edge retention, etc.

Last edited:
Back