Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heiji Semi Stainless 255 mm available at Strata, for an insane price of $866.

That is twice than what I can buy direct, and I'm not sure they have the F&F service like Jon provides.

https://strataportland.com/products...m-chestnut-handle?_pos=2&_sid=90d3b34eb&_ss=r
$625, no? Maybe it was a typo and they corrected?

But yeah, pretty much the Gesshin price and it's not clear to me whether they improve F&F like Jon et all...

Upgraded handle but I really like Heiji's stock burnt ones...

$625, no? Maybe it was a typo and they corrected?

But yeah, pretty much the Gesshin price and it's not clear to me whether they improve F&F like Jon et all...
Oh it probably shows it in Canadian dollars on my end. The price doesn't change when I change currency in my phone so it's probably a mobile issue.

255 isn’t a common size and the added height is nice. Taper looks better than standard also. Price doesn’t feel unreasonable to me all that much. Higher than I’d like but in line with where I expect retail to be across the board over the coming year

Last edited:
That heiji looks like a super nice one. Haven’t seen a choil shot yet but I’d gladly pay extra if it’s a step above normal heijis.
I did just pick up a fine finish Hisamoto stainless clad 210mm for $415 from strata (which was a bit of a sticker shock) but after receiving it I found it to be totally worth it.

Last edited:
If (especially) europeans are interested in Heiji,
this shop in germany still has some.
Its a good shop, just bought a Wakui V2 off them recently.
They have some beautful AOKI gyutos from Togashi & Tosa too.
Unfortunately these (very nice) people don´t provide (big) enough photos
and also don´t give much specifications, choil shots etc.

Heijy SKD steel 21cm gyuto & 27cm sujihiki left
Heiji carbon steel 24cm gyuto left

255 isn’t a common size and the added height is nice. Taper looks better than standard also. Price doesn’t feel unreasonable to me all that much. Higher than I’d like but in line with where I expect retail to be across the board over the coming year
My 240 came at 255. Heiji runs very oversized

Oh man I have a custom heiji on order right now this makes me very nervous I really want true 240mm
Power Tools Kiss GIF by Bosch Professional Power Tools and Accessories

I am going to get annihilated for this, but I can't imagine spending $1500+ on a caidao
I should qualify this as I can't imagine spending $1,500 on any knife, but it feels more significant with a caidao since I feel a lot of their advantage comes from sheer mass which is multiplied by a thin edge, but maybe I'm being ignorant

I should qualify this as I can't imagine spending $1,500 on any knife, but it feels more significant with a caidao since I feel a lot of their advantage comes from sheer mass which is multiplied by a thin edge, but maybe I'm being ignorant
I don't blame you. Even looking at ~$500 seemed a little insane for me, considering you can get a perfectly functional one for under $100.

...hasn't stopped me, but just saying.

I am going to get annihilated for this, but I can't imagine spending $1500+ on a caidao
It would take a pretty special bond with a maker for me to drop that much. If Shibata dropped one I’d probably buy it though…

But $1500 is probably better spent on something custom. For that much money I want every aspect of the knife to be something I like.

Also, I might get annihilated for this, but I don’t find that cleaver attractive at all.

Can someone with more knowledge of knifemaking help me make sense of the Catcheside cleaver story? Why is it apparently more difficult than other knives, but yet Sugimoto pumps them out no issue?

Speaking of. I'm curious about how Catchesides cut, they look like low bevel workhorses aka Heiji's; and they are very eye-catching knives.

I assume the performance is somewhere around that ballpark?

Edit: So they're like heavier Takedas, got it.

Last edited:
Not sure about the Takeda cleaver, but the front half of the Takeda Kiritsuke just wobbles too much for me. LaSeur cleaver is as thin but much more stiff due to monosteel construction,

To clarify, I wasn’t asking why Catcheside costs more or how performance compares. I was following on @Ocanada who asked why it was supposedly such a challenge for Catcheside to make. The product blurb tells a story of warping and lots of failed attempts. I mentioned Takeda just as a counterpoint to the idea that the issue is forged geometry. Instead perhaps it is something about the steel, experience with this size, or maybe Takeda has the same struggle but doesn’t publicize it.

Knives cost what a maker decides to charge. Asking why a Catcheside is more expensive than a Takeda is like asking why a Kamon is more expensive than a Wakui. The answer: because.

In this case, the Catcheside is probably more expensive as it through a vendor.

Takeda cleaver is not cheap either (600) but Catcheside definitely is more expensive in general and I feel like these are marked up (probably Catcheside doesn’t really give much of a wholesale discount)

Catcheside knives are going to have more heft for sure, but yeah-I much prefer them to takeda based on the ones I’ve tested from each.

Back