Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect most makers are buying the blocks vs doing it on their own. There's a lot of great vendors out there; stabilizing wood takes a decent amount of time and expertise so it's the kind of thing that's good to rely on the experts.

Every once in a while I can't resist buying a cool block of wood but then I have the problem of finding a knife to put it on. I mean, you have the material for a handle, might as well commission a custom knife to use it, right?

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 1.33.18 PM.png

These look sick. Looks like Nigara? Western integral damascus. Heel height looks a little short for me though and price will probably be very high for me.

Used yanagiba's & Deba's a lot at work. If you haven't sharpened SB knives you are missing out on some of the sharpest edges possible.

Usuba's are highly specialized knives. Most of the thinner SB gyuto are not true SB.

I finally found a maker who specializes in Damascus. His main work is SB Yanagiba & Deba. My only Damascus blade is G3 regular gyuto bought because of unique random Damascus patterning.
image.jpg
image.jpg

He also makes true SB 210mm - 240mm gyuto. Better than average Damascus front side & hollow ground backside. Western Ironwood handles with mosaic pins.

Not cheap but reasonable for what these knives are. In 400-600 dollar range. These are quite a bit thinner than Deba & Usuba.

The Cooks Edge sells them.

There's an offshoot of Clement Knives in Scotland called The Skeleton Fund that focuses on sustainability. The handles are recycled plastic from the sea and a chunk of the price goes to charities. They've just done a knife with Silo, a zero waste restaurant in London. Stainless knives from N690 with measurements listed as: 200mm blade | 50mm height | 170g weight. Found here: Skeleton Fund

There's a youtube video of Bob Kramer describing the new 2.0 version and it shows the finger notch. Looks like they took it out in the production run.

I've seen them with the more restrained notch with the thinner heel first run, I've seen them with the much more dramatic notch and the thicc boi heel, and now no notch. Hard to place when all these design tweaks took place.

Some serious drops on Modern at the moment. The Milan sold out instantly but there is an absolutely stunning Brook Turner that got posted with it. The Merion Forge k-tip is still somehow there. There are 2-3 from Huber that are still up as well. Someone gotta buy these things so I do not :).

Some serious drops on Modern at the moment. The Milan sold out instantly but there is an absolutely stunning Brook Turner that got posted with it. The Merion Forge k-tip is still somehow there. There are 2-3 from Huber that are still up as well. Someone gotta buy these things so I do not :).
Dammit, totally missed my alarm for this drop.

If someone wants a slightly larger Brooke Turner, there's a really nice 225mm at Crocker Cutlery. You're giving up the wrought iron, but it's a beautiful piece that comes in a little larger at 225mm x 55mm for a bit lower price:

https://crockercutlery.com/collections/handmade-knives-kitchen/products/brook-turner-gyuto

Yeah, that Turner at Crocker has been tempting me for a while as well. I am a sucker for the stacked and twisted clad patterns though. The finish on the one posted by Modern is super rustic, but I bet it will age like a fine wine. Self-restraint is lacking these days... let me tell yah lol.

Shocked those aren’t all gone yet. Some tempting offers but I just sent funds when I shouldn’t have today…. Ugh…. I forget his pricing isn’t higher and so I was enjoying these pics but not think to actually try for one… especially the honyaki!

Back