Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking at both knives and the height of the Izo is a compelling reason to take a second look. But I agree, the price for a ginsan is crazy up there. By the way, may be a dumb question to ask here but, who is Izo? Is it Myojin?
Yes. I have both knives, the Kikuchiyo Izo feels much thinner, a bit stickier and more fragile to the Kagekiyo. It may need a microbevel. I quite like the Kagekiyo, however, I do not like the handle and will swap it out if I decide to keep it.

Edit just to say, iI don’t know if that has been confirmed that it is Myojin, but it is believed to be.

Man, wish it was in my price range, had it in the cart as soon as it dropped....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505_140148_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_140148_Chrome.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 0
I was a bit surprised by the polish for the price. Doesn’t really look much different to a normal Shibata. Although hard to tell with the pics
Yep, definitely just a vertical belt finish. Someone is looking at a long process to get that polished up to an aesthetic that is sympathetic to the price

Yes. I have both knives, the Kikuchiyo Izo feels much thinner, a bit stickier and more fragile to the Kagekiyo. It may need a microbevel. I quite like the Kagekiyo, however, I do not like the handle and will swap it out if I decide to keep it.

Edit just to say, iI don’t know if that has been confirmed that it is Myojin, but it is believed to be.
Thanks. Izo might be Miyojin. Maybe that is why the bump in price, what with Naohito’s popularity right now. I can buy a Kagekiyo B1 with that moolah. Hard pass.

Last edited:
Was looking at both knives and the height of the Izo is a compelling reason to take a second look. But I agree, the price for a ginsan is crazy up there. By the way, may be a dumb question to ask here but, who is Izo? Is it Myojin?
No one knows but judging from the grind of the Hitohira Ginsan comparing to the Kagekiyo Ginsan they look very similar so as the finish.

Back