Knife for cutting steak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOneHawk

Reaction score
Hey KKF. I'm looking to add to my collection at some point in the future, and I haven't been keeping up with the knife world as much as I normally do, mostly to keep myself from buying them when I can't afford to!

Basically, the knife I need next will be dedicated for cutting steaks, since at work I semi regularly need to cut dozens of striploins and while my Gesshin Kagekiyo is definitely up to the task, I feel like a more purpose build blade would be worthwhile.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Probably a 270-300mm sujihiki, though I'm open to other opinions if anyone has a knife they swear by for steaks

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 270-300

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Don't care

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 1K

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Pro

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Steaks, steaks and more steaks. I don't cut them all the time, but when I do I'm usually doing it for most of the day and would like a knife dedicated to that job

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Not replacing it, but the knife that currently gets this job is a Gesshin Kagekiyo 240 mm gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch or point, mostly pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Usually use draw when cutting steaks

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Aesthetics are much appreciated but not entirely necessary. I'm willing to pay for a beautiful knife, but first priority is performance.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Knife must be comfortable for an extended use period, since when I'm using it it won't be leaving my hand for several hours, at least.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Don't care about factory edge, I'll be putting my own on anyways, ease of sharpening is the main thing here for me.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Does anyone ever not want this to be 'as long as possible'? I'll be sharpening it after every session but it's gotta get through all the striploins without dulling.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Standard pro kitchen synthetic boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, regularly.

Latest posts

Back