Quantcast

Knife for super-fine cutting?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

stevenStefano

Reaction score
I am in the market for a knife but basically at the minute I am not sure which to get, hence this post. Part of my job involves cutting up salad-type ingredients such as lettuce, onions carrots and all that. At the minute I use a white steel 210 petty. However, I am thinking of getting a knife that can perform super-fine cutting a little better, but I don't know which to buy. I am thinking a yanagi? perhaps an usuba? I really don't know. The knife would be used for things like super-fine julienne of carrots, or cutting translucent slices of tomatoes, that kinda thing. Anyone any idea which knife would perform such tasks the best?

Rottman

Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
Sounds like a job for an usuba with the right technique since the edge is dead flat.

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 Usuba. Or Kiritsuke.

jaybett

Reaction score
It's simple to do fine cuts with a Nakiri, the small size makes it agile, and its flat edge, did nice straight cuts. I wouldn't be surprised, if a Nakiri,had a longer flat edge, then a 210mm or even 240mm gyuto. The downside of a Nakiri is the same as any small knife a lack of production.

The lack of production was reason enough for me to try a small cleaver. The nakiri did a better job at cutting, but its not a significant difference over the cleaver. The difference is similar to suji and a gyuto. The suji does a better at cutting, gyuto at production.

A while back, when I was looking at double beveled kiritsukes when it occurred to me, that it was a long nakiri with a tip. I ordered a Moritaka, because it was cheap. The long flat edge does a nice job with vegetables. The surprise was the tip. It gets very thin towards the edge, but it feels like its on a strong and stable base. So I have no worries about breaking it off, unlike some of my thin knives.

Jon with JKI, has a Konosuke HD 240mm double beveled kiritsuke, that would probably be ideal for your situation. A less expensive option would be the Sugimoto #30 cleaver.

Jay

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
An usuba or similar single bevel knife is the obvious choice and probably the route I'd take. However, an extremely asymmetrically ground double-bevel knife will do a reasonable job but depending on how extreme you push it, it may lose some of it's all-purpose functionality due to edge weakness.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
If you've got gentle boards and demand perfection over productivity, I'd go Usuba.

EdipisReks

Reaction score
definitely usuba. this is, in fact, precisely what i use my usuba for.

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a K2 HRC60 by Robert Herder, Solingen.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
I guess a babied double bevel knife could perhaps do the job but to be honest I wouldn't mind trying something a little different and I own no single bevel knives at present. Kamagata usuba or the normal nakiri like one? Any suggestions about size? A twist is that I am a lefty. I am thinking of just emailing Koki and asking which makers don't charge such a premium for left handers

Rottman

Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
Lefty here too. The traditional knives Koki has have a 40-50 percent bonus for lefty versions (at least they had when I asked about two years ago). Maybe ask Jon if he can pick up something while in Japan to ensure the blade is okay. I might be interested in a 210 Kamagata usuba myself.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
I think I'll try Koki first and then Jon. BluewayJapan have a few lefty usubas which aren't super-expensive but they are mostly 165 and I wonder if they'd be too small

Latest posts