Knife help again?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas

Reaction score
Ok, I'm taking the advice. I'm looking at the Yoshihiro Hagane 240 gyuto but I can't find any info about what the blade material is made of. Is it a thicker blade also with good edge retention and easy sharpening. I need help again. Also is this knife better than the carbonex. Or a hiromoto. Thanks again

Talk to Jon at japanese knife imports. He carries yoshihiro, among a bunch of other cool things. He won't steer you wrong.

is this knife better than the carbonex

Everyone is different...some people like knives that others aren't so thrilled about. You've received many recommendations here, so you really just need to take the plunge for yourself to see what works for you (can always sell what you don't like)

Not trying to be a jerk, as we've all been in your position before. But you can get all the information and advice you want, and you might still not like the knife you purchase as much as the people who told you about it.

I would think more about these things to make your decision: yo or wa handle....stainless or semi-stainless or carbon-clad or full carbon...flatter or rounder blade profile, etc.

+1 on Caddy's advice. With all the different design parameters and nuances involved, you're going to find a range of opinions on any knife. You're gonna have to figure out what works for you and what your preferences are. When you're starting off, you just have to take your best guess based on your existing experience and then take the plunge.

Almost any knife we talk about around here is a good knife or even a great knife. A lot of what we're picking on are pretty subtle things. So yeah, think about the big factors that Caddy listed - handle style, carbon vs stainless, flatter or more curved profile. Beyond that, you're really getting into details that you'll form your own opinions about later on. Those particular big factors though are pretty fundamental to your personal preferences, style, and maybe work requirements - they may not change a whole lot over time.

Id put my money in Bill Burkes Midtech 52100 or a Marko Design custom 52100.

Just realized Jay gave a much more detailed explanation in your other 'which knife' thread...give it a read, and then pull the trigger on something.

Back