Knife Impressions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
clay5.jpg
clay4.jpg
clay3.jpg
clay2.jpg
clay1.jpg

In order:
Carter Gyuto
Masamoto KS
Delbert Ealy Gyuto
Stephan Fowler 210 suji/petty
Carter Funayuki

Cool idea! How far into the dough-stuff did you stick 'em? Maybe a ruler would be nice to get some perspective.

25lb block of clay.

I sunk them 2 inches from the handle.

Nice, Salty!

Is it me, or does the last Carter seem concave on the right side about starting about 2/3 down the blade?

Definitely the best way to photograph a blade's geometry.

Nice, Salty!

Is it me, or does the last Carter seem concave on the right side about starting about 2/3 down the blade?

Yes. That's a large bevel ground into the blade. Hammer finished above that.

Used to. I had 50lbs on hand before the wheel broke.

What kind of wheel and what broke? Oh yeah, cool profiling too.

Inexpensive Clay Boss. Motor went. I took it apart then I moved and lost some pieces. Now I don't have a space to use it so it just sits half apart.

Way cool Salty! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Is it me or does that KS look just super-sexy?

Those are very cool. Just wondering what the inspiration was though. Was it just to show geometry, artistic, really mad at clay....

k.

Scott, I bought one of those used from a friend about a year ago -- bumped up the pulley over the wheel to increase rpm's, bought a coupla birch bats to stick psa 12" diam abrasive discs to, and now use it for a flat grinder.
9-22-11kiritsuke-yo-gyuto01.jpg

OK now this is interesting. Congrats on coming up with something new for us to go crazy over. :D

This is great! I'd love to see some shots of profile cross-sections like this at different points on the blade.

To the Hobby Store!
:brb:

Scott, I bought one of those used from a friend about a year ago -- bumped up the pulley over the wheel to increase rpm's, bought a coupla birch bats to stick psa 12" diam abrasive discs to, and now use it for a flat grinder.
9-22-11kiritsuke-yo-gyuto01.jpg

LOL!

Okay. I can't take it anymore. I must post... How could you not include the Masamoto honyaki in there?

It was up the stairs. And the KS is almost a replica.

I'm going to do it over with a ruler and I'm going to cut the block into thirds. I don't need to push the knife through the entire block, just the first third. I'll get a truer picture that way.

I could also push the knife down from the top of the slab of clay.

Not bad at all. There's always a learning curve. I learnt to pull gently when retreaving. Alos the third of the block thing. It was hard burying those knives that deep. The thin flexible ones bent too much which is why I didn't include them. The next will be more acurate and comprehensive.

Back