Quantcast

Knife purchase suggestion.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
Now that I am back at home from Europe and getting my shop cleaned up, I am looking to really take a serious crack at kitchen knives. I am looking for some advice on purchases. I plan to buy a Thiers-Issard Sabatier in carbon steel, but I need some advice on a Japanese knife. What would you guys recommend in a reasonable priced western Gyuto? I am not so much looking for a high end knife made from super steel, but one that will at least give me a feel for what a decent Japanese style 50-50 grind should look like and how the Japanese have adapted and modernized the classic Euro style handle.. Thanks

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
So you want a western (yo style) handled knife? No D-shaped or octagonal wa style handles?

What price range are you looking at?

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, at this time, I want to start out with western style handles. Wa handles done properly may have to wait until I upgrade to a good disc sander that I can plug into the VFD on my grinder, I think. As far as price range, as inexpensive as possible. Don't kill me!! I am really looking for basic templates, although I will likely end up using these at home as "shop knives' are unsold knives and we can't have that.:happymug: :D
So you want a western (yo style) handled knife? No D-shaped or octagonal wa style handles?

What price range are you looking at?

obtuse

Reaction score
do you really want a 50/50 grind? that will be hard to find.
I can't really comment in the low low price range as I don't have many examples in that area. you would probably be blown away by a konosuke HD, ashi, gesshin ginga, kikuichi tkc. I'm speaking western handle. also available of eBay, from bluewayjapan, Sakai yusuke in either blue no.2 or aeb-l. Sakai takayuki grand cheff is another. I would spend a little more and really get a knife you'd want to emulate.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
If you can make a knife that cuts as well as a Fujiwara or a Carbonext, you'll be doing well for yourself. From there, you can tinker with profiles, etc.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
If you're looking for one with great steel and an ok handle get a Carbonext. If you're looking for something with ok steel and a great handle get a Hattori FH

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
I do like that Hattori handle profile, but they are pretty proud of those knives if you look at the pricing compared to the CarboNext. :D
If you're looking for one with great steel and an ok handle get a Carbonext. If you're looking for something with ok steel and a great handle get a Hattori FH

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Whats your budget? Iconic grinding and smart handles don't come cheap!

stevenStefano

Reaction score
I do like that Hattori handle profile, but they are pretty proud of those knives if you look at the pricing compared to the CarboNext. :D
The Hattori isn't super popular but I love mine and I wouldn't swap it for anything. I say just get a Carbonext, it should give you what you need. Most Western handles are very much the same, and it costs a lot less than most. Add to that the fact that it is a great knife and I think that's your number one choice

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
The think about the Hattori is that it is not the typical riveted slab Western handle.
The Hattori isn't super popular but I love mine and I wouldn't swap it for anything. I say just get a Carbonext, it should give you what you need. Most Western handles are very much the same, and it costs a lot less than most. Add to that the fact that it is a great knife and I think that's your number one choice

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
The smart handles seem to add quite a bit to the price of any of these knives and that makes sense. Mo' work, mo' money.
Whats your budget? Iconic grinding and smart handles don't come cheap!

bcrano

Reaction score
I have a Hattori that I love as well. It was my first j knife. I was using it for dinner tonight and it keeps showing me new things, new facets.