Knife purchase suggestion.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
Now that I am back at home from Europe and getting my shop cleaned up, I am looking to really take a serious crack at kitchen knives. I am looking for some advice on purchases. I plan to buy a Thiers-Issard Sabatier in carbon steel, but I need some advice on a Japanese knife. What would you guys recommend in a reasonable priced western Gyuto? I am not so much looking for a high end knife made from super steel, but one that will at least give me a feel for what a decent Japanese style 50-50 grind should look like and how the Japanese have adapted and modernized the classic Euro style handle.. Thanks

So you want a western (yo style) handled knife? No D-shaped or octagonal wa style handles?

What price range are you looking at?

Yes, at this time, I want to start out with western style handles. Wa handles done properly may have to wait until I upgrade to a good disc sander that I can plug into the VFD on my grinder, I think. As far as price range, as inexpensive as possible. Don't kill me!! I am really looking for basic templates, although I will likely end up using these at home as "shop knives' are unsold knives and we can't have that.:happymug: :D
So you want a western (yo style) handled knife? No D-shaped or octagonal wa style handles?

What price range are you looking at?

do you really want a 50/50 grind? that will be hard to find.
I can't really comment in the low low price range as I don't have many examples in that area. you would probably be blown away by a konosuke HD, ashi, gesshin ginga, kikuichi tkc. I'm speaking western handle. also available of eBay, from bluewayjapan, Sakai yusuke in either blue no.2 or aeb-l. Sakai takayuki grand cheff is another. I would spend a little more and really get a knife you'd want to emulate.

If you can make a knife that cuts as well as a Fujiwara or a Carbonext, you'll be doing well for yourself. From there, you can tinker with profiles, etc.

If you're looking for one with great steel and an ok handle get a Carbonext. If you're looking for something with ok steel and a great handle get a Hattori FH

I do like that Hattori handle profile, but they are pretty proud of those knives if you look at the pricing compared to the CarboNext. :D
If you're looking for one with great steel and an ok handle get a Carbonext. If you're looking for something with ok steel and a great handle get a Hattori FH

Whats your budget? Iconic grinding and smart handles don't come cheap!

I do like that Hattori handle profile, but they are pretty proud of those knives if you look at the pricing compared to the CarboNext. :D

The Hattori isn't super popular but I love mine and I wouldn't swap it for anything. I say just get a Carbonext, it should give you what you need. Most Western handles are very much the same, and it costs a lot less than most. Add to that the fact that it is a great knife and I think that's your number one choice

The think about the Hattori is that it is not the typical riveted slab Western handle.
The Hattori isn't super popular but I love mine and I wouldn't swap it for anything. I say just get a Carbonext, it should give you what you need. Most Western handles are very much the same, and it costs a lot less than most. Add to that the fact that it is a great knife and I think that's your number one choice

The smart handles seem to add quite a bit to the price of any of these knives and that makes sense. Mo' work, mo' money.
Whats your budget? Iconic grinding and smart handles don't come cheap!

I have a Hattori that I love as well. It was my first j knife. I was using it for dinner tonight and it keeps showing me new things, new facets.

Back