Knife question need advice pleas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas

Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering about something. I was closely inspecting my Carter 6.6 fun and noticed when I lay the blade on a flat surface there is about a 2 mm curve in the blade. It doesn't lay flat. Is this normal or acceptable? I love the knife but don't want to spend that much money on a knife if it shouldn't be like that. What should I do? Thanks, Andreas

If you mean that one side is not flat while the other is: great to hear so. If both were flat the knife would wedge. Therefore they are not symmetric. Would you mean however that the edge isn't straight, that would be a serious flaw that makes the knife almost unusable.

I think this is due to the convex grind of the knife; a knife with said grind is preferable, as it mitigates food stickage. I'm pretty sure this is normal

Are you referring to laying the knife flat on its side or putting the bevel on a flat surface?

When I lay the blade flat on its side it rocks back and forth. Doesn't that mean the blade is not straight? I'm worried

does it rock spine to edge? does it seem to rock spine to edge all over both sides of the blade? if so, that's a convex grind.

What happens when you lay it on the other side?

Congratulations, you are the owner of a masterfully convex ground funayuki from Murray Carter.

Enjoy the food not stacking and the ease of cutting hard fruits and veggies.

It happens on both sides from spine to edge.

Then, as Eamon has said, your knife is fine. You want to have a convexity from the spine to the edge to help food release.

A bent knife would show itself as a curving spine, where the tip bends to one side or the other.

Is this making sense to you?

If it is symmetrical it is supposed to be that way.

Honest question. I'm glad the guys have cleared it up.
By the way, congrats again on a great knife.

Thank you but I think I have explained myself wrong. When I lay the blade only on a flat surface it rocks from tip to we're bolster starts. Length wise rocking

Thank you but I think I have explained myself wrong. When I lay the blade only on a flat surface it rocks from tip to we're bolster starts. Length wise rocking

So it's not straight, the blade has been bent?

Post a pic please to see how serious it is

Hello, I was just wondering about something. I was closely inspecting my Carter 6.6 fun and noticed when I lay the blade on a flat surface there is about a 2 mm curve in the blade. It doesn't lay flat. Is this normal or acceptable? I love the knife but don't want to spend that much money on a knife if it shouldn't be like that. What should I do? Thanks, Andreas

When I lay the blade flat on its side it rocks back and forth. Doesn't that mean the blade is not straight? I'm worried

It happens on both sides from spine to edge.

Andreas,

A little clarification, please.

You say that there is "... about a 2 mm curve in the blade" and that "It happens on both sides from spine to edge." It can't be both. If the blade is bent, it is bent to one side or the other. You should be a able to detect this just by sighting down the blade.

If you want, take a straightedge (a carpenter's square is good, but anything that has a good, straight edge will do), put the blade up against it so that the end is square to the bolster/ferrule. Note the size of the gap at the tip. Then do the same to the other side. If the gaps differ in size, or if you have a gap on one side but not on the other, then the blade has a curve to it. This isn't acceptable in any knife and you should take this up with Carter Cutlery.

On the other hand, if the gaps are the same size (you don't have to measure them - eyeballing is good enough to tell), then the rocking you detect may be from a high spot in the hammered surface that is part of the forging process.

Rick

Do I lay the edge on the flat surface or the spine

On the flat surface of the knife.

Here's a pic I just took of my Carter funayuki, showing the "gap" at the tip:

a2e2c096.jpg

Rick

Is it, perhaps, distal taper that is making the tip look elevated off the table? It's thinner at the tip, and with the weight of the handle holding the heel area down, maybe it looks off, when it's really just a properly ground knife.

Is it, perhaps, distal taper that is making the tip look elevated off the table? It's thinner at the tip, and with the weight of the handle holding the heel area down, maybe it looks off, when it's really just a properly ground knife.

It likely is distal taper, but my HG funayuki doesn't "rock", at least not that way.

When in doubt, call the maker. He has a very good track record of fixing problems.

All forged knives on a microscopic level "rock". If both of the sides rock, I would assume the convex grind would be the suspect. If the knife only rocks on one side, then apart from it being a Japanese style blade, I would say you got a problem. If this were true, your knife should react and repel whatever it is you cut in an unsual fashion. You would pick up on this minute rocking while prepping. I would prep a solid hour with another knife that is manufactured like an INOX Suisin Western and then compare the knifes characteristics with your "rocking"knife.

I have used and measured in all directions and different ways and the blade does not look straight to me. Here are some pics on a level board with one single finger pressure applied to the center of the knife. Am I being picky or is the knife curved? Sorry how do I upload images?

I can't post pics. No attachment posting permission for some reason

Just upload them to Picasa, imageshack, photobucket, or whatever. Then right click and copy the image url and come here and click the square button with a tree in it, select "from url" and uncheck "upload and reference locally". paste the url into the box, and that's it.

I really want to see this.

Back