Knife recommendation ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Proxy buying for a friend. He's a chef/caterer.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Gyuto, 240

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? A 10" henckels four star. Its a christmas gift.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- unimportant, but he wants something"japanese looking"
Edge Quality/Retention-takes inevitable abuse well, but its still a henckels.
Ease of Use- stainless its a big plus, doesnt like the profile..wants flatter.
Comfort- rubber handy is comfy, the bolster and spine cut into his hand...big issue for him.

What grip do you use? Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Mostly rocking, but some push cutting

Where do you store them? Blade safe, knife roll.

Have you ever oiled a handle? No. minimal maintenance.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Aggressive steeling, perhaps needing instruction.

Have they ever been sharpened? I might keep up with them for him on occasion. He doesnt sharpen.

What is your budget? $300, maybe leave room for an idahone rod, of courses less its beyer

What do you cook and how often? American cafeteria/catering stuff.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Japanese looking, western handle, maybe big handle, he is huge...like the guy in scott's pic. A saya might be cool.

If he wants a western style knife with a western style handle, exactly what does he mean by Japanese-looking? Also, if he's a steel/rod or go home guy, there's no point in gettting anything hard. His style really matches German steel very well. Maybe he should go with a Sabatier in stainless? How about a Glestain? There would be a learning curve but if he uses a rod or fine steel it would be an excellent choice. The handle is on the larger side, as well.

Yeah I don't really get the "japanese looking" thing either. He wants a flatter profile than he has. He aldo uses a cheap santoku because it is flatter.

I thought of a sab, but forgot to mention he doesn't want a bolstered choil. I'm willing to round the spine/bolster/choil for him.

Oh yeah, he wants a thinner knife too

He said he likes vg10, but I think he wants just harder steel, not like 65hrc, but maybe 59-61.

So unbolstered choil, flatter profile, thin. I think that i's what he means by japanese style.

Well, lucky for him, everything is flatter and thinner than German. I'd still give him a Glestain and hope he doesn't find out there are thinner knives out there. Actually, Glestains aren't thick but they could use a little thinning at the tip, is all. If it's going to get abused, you'd want a slightly thicker tip. Seriously, I think it's a great fit. Otherwise, I'd just go with Fujiwara or if he want to pay more money then something like a MAC or Masahiro.

Carbonext. Gets a little grey and brown, but once he uses it, I think he can live with the semi-stainless.

Carbonext is nice but it might not be tough enough. It isn't chippy but it's not anywhere near as tough as German steel, imo. The handle is also on the small side. I would have suggested Misono moly (tough, large handle) if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive but maybe that's where he should be going...

I don't think the chef will treat any thin sharp Japanese knife the same way he treats his German counterpart. There is no need to mash the food with brute force. He can put a less accute angle on the knife and it will still be 10 times better than a standard Henkels 4 star.

Yeah, you could be right. I'd also consider the Ashi westerns. I think they are AEB-L or something similar at HRC 59 or so. That would be pretty tough and lasery.

He said he likes vg10, but its probably from using someones for a day. He's not an insider at all...i think he just liked using a knife that is harder than henckels.

I've never used one, but how about the Blazens in sg2? It also comes with a saya. A while back I gave a knife to a pro chef as a gift and remember considering a Blazen, but haven't thought about it since.

k.

I just picked up a Blazen parer, pricy but very nicely finished:

87242_1_b.jpg

Carbonext is nice but it might not be tough enough. It isn't chippy but it's not anywhere near as tough as German steel, imo. The handle is also on the small side. I would have suggested Misono moly (tough, large handle) if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive but maybe that's where he should be going...

My thoughts exactly regarding the Misono. It might be the best option for him, though. I've been fortunate enough to handle some amazing knives and the Misono holds its own. Man, did Misono ever drop the ball with jacking up their prices....

Sakai Yusuke Swedish Stainless Western - softer and tougher (HRC58-59) than the CarboNext, has a bit of belly on it and can be maintained with a ceramic rod. And they have impeccable fit and finish. Factory bevel is 50/50 but they will respond to thinning also.

419920321_o.jpg

And then there is also the good ol' standby: the Tojiro DP. I fondled one of these earlier this week - I was impressed with everything about it. I don't really feel what peeps say about the blocky handle, either.

Personally, I have never seen a bad one but I am sure they are out there. BWJ on ebay could hook you up with a nice one - Keiichi would never knowingly send out a dud knife.

Back