'Knife Recommendation' subforum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luftmensch, Apr 13, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Apr 13, 2019 #1

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Hey old-hands,

Would it be useful to create a sub-forum for knife recommendations? It might help keep the forums better themed? If done, the "Which Knife Should I Buy?" Questionnaire could be moved to the top of the sub-forum. Currently it is the third post in 'The Kitchen Knife' - which is easy to miss. It also would create a very obvious location for new members to ask advice.

2. Apr 13, 2019 #2
    I see your point, let’s talk about it! I am looking forward to more opinions and ideas.

3. Apr 13, 2019 #3

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. There are enough posts of that nature to make it worthwhile, I think. It would also accumulate all those posts in one place for easy reference later. Useful for people who look first and post second…

4. Apr 13, 2019 #4

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

I wanted to suggest adding a time frame field to the questionnaire.

Something like:

TIME FRAME
    When do you want/need the knife (asap or no rush)
    I figured this might be useful information if a chef (for example) is looking for a replacement very quickly. It might bias recommendations towards highly available knifes.

But then I spent a long while looking for the link to the questionnaire only to find it under my nose! I guess I am not that observant :cool:

:p

5. Apr 13, 2019 #5

McMan

McMan

McMan

I think this is a good idea. It would also centralize the recommendations, which would make them easier to browse.

6. Apr 13, 2019 #6

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

Agreed, nice idea.

7. Apr 13, 2019 #7

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

I agree with these suggestions

8. Apr 13, 2019 #8

Spipet

Spipet

Spipet

One other idea that might be considered is, and I know there are some pros and cons, a ‘best buy guide’. Like a list of a certain type of knife (eg laser gyuto) within certain price ranges that may be considered

9. Apr 13, 2019 #9

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

I've thought about this too, Peter. A kind of introductory compilation for people who just want an easy list of options without having to dive too deep. It would be difficult to do as a group though, with so many opinions.

10. Apr 13, 2019 #10

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderators

Since this is the weekend, I'm going to let more ideas come along and talk with the mods/admins on what we could do and what would be too much.

But please keep the ideas coming. We are seriously considering it.

11. Apr 13, 2019 #11

Spipet

Spipet

Spipet

Yea that would be one of the difficulties Todd, but I’m sure one could think of a small group of people that could make some decent recommendations

12. Apr 13, 2019 #12

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

I think there is enough consensus on a few names to make this useful.

Certain categories are also easier than others...eg sub $200, entry level left-handers,
    true 50/50 grinds, etc. in the sense that the options are fairly limited.

I'd refrain from hyping up stuff beyond that for obvious reasons,
    including that there is no "the best" for everyone.

13. Apr 13, 2019 #13

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

LIKE.
    (Both the subforum and the buy guide, if moderated somehow.)

14. Apr 13, 2019 #14
    I think the buy guide would not be easy to write without a bias. Particular knives should be mentioned only as a matter of design/type example, otherwise it might give the new buyers a tunnel vision on what to buy. But it is worth a thought.

15. Apr 13, 2019 #15

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

I think you could do categories, like "Nakiri" with a description of use, pros and cons, picture of what one looks like, and 3-4 examples in different price ranges. If they're billed as "examples" and not recommendations they could serve as a guide without making people think they had to choose something from the list to get a good knife.

16. Apr 14, 2019 #16

Spipet

Spipet

Spipet

I’d be happy to discuss it further with you if you’d like :).

17. Apr 14, 2019 #17
    Thank you. I think that if we decide to write such an article, it will be offered to public discussion to collect as many inputs, opinions and ideas as possible.

18. Apr 14, 2019 #18

F-Flash

F-Flash

F-Flash

Subforum is great idea.

19. Apr 16, 2019 #19

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Nice ideas gang...

I do like the idea of a buy guide. I certainly won't discourage it - but i'll point out the obvious: the are most valuable when they are maintained and current. Fortunately the kitchen knife world is relatively slow moving but it would be a shame to write one really good guide and then never update it!

20. Apr 16, 2019 #20
    I like the idea of a separate sub-forum; not so much a 'buy guide'.
    Listing the characteristics of a particular style of knife would be helpful, but absolutely should not contain a list of makers/distributors.
    Too many opportunities for feuds, 'fanboyism', and hurt feelings. And as Luftmensch noted it would be a full time job to keep updated.

21. Apr 16, 2019 #21
    This. Exactly this.

22. Apr 16, 2019 #22

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

I like the idea of a sub-forum. I understand why a "buyer's guide" could be fraught with disagreements and detract from the purpose of providing general guidance. But, for someone new to J-knives like myself, I would love to be able to see this information more consolidated.

23. Apr 16, 2019 #23

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Agreed. No point igniting flame wars.

A bit of tongue in cheek existentialism here... but... what is KKF's purpose? :p

A forum surely is about live discussion. I can see value in organising and structuring these conversations. But perhaps it is the wrong format for encyclopedic knowledge? After all, it is not 'Kitchen Knife Wiki'! To go in that direction; can KKF contribute a different perspective that isn't captured by other online resources? (I am playing the devil's advocate there - I do think the collective knowledge in this place could provide an insightful point of view.)

The collective knowledge here could certainly shed insight on basic questions such as "what profile suits my application"... "what length am I likely to need"... "should I buy a hard (high HRC) steel knife". These sorts of questions are relatively timeless and would help guide purchasing decisions.

Although J-knives are vogue and likely to stay so for a long time, I would reinforce the idea that kitchenknifeforums (not japanknifeforums) is culturally agnostic even if its user contributions are skewed. A Sabatier or Wusthof can be pretty handy in the kitchen as well ;)

24. Apr 16, 2019 #24

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

I was thinking of something like the following example (just off the top of my head, don't judge the content). By just giving examples and not buy recommendations the content doesn't need regular updating, and nobody can argue an "example". That said I think the examples should be vetted worthy choices:
    Nakiri.PNG

25. Apr 16, 2019 #25

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

That's a very legitimate point, it's up to the "owners" of this forum if they want to include something like this or if it's really off-topic. Maybe we could put together a Kitchen Knife Wiki if it's not appropriate here.

26. Apr 16, 2019 #26
    You're hired. Pay sucks but the hours are long.:cool:

27. Apr 16, 2019 #27

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

That kind of thing would be immensely useful to people who are new to the whole J-Knife thing. I do wish I had had a resource such as that when I started out.

28. Apr 16, 2019 #28

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

CoteRotie

I wouldn't mind working on this as time permits if I can get some folks to sign up as co-authors and reviewers. Not sure how all the logistics would work out, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

29. Apr 16, 2019 #29

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

Maybe this is off-topic, but it would interesting to conduct a type of KKF Annual Census, constituting a big survey that can then be structured into graphs, tables, lists, percentages or whatever to show the results of the various, per-determined categories.

(A few spitballed examples I came up with while I cooked my lunch: Favorite Japanese Maker, Favorite Western Maker, Favorite Custom Maker, Favorite Gyuto/Petty/etc, Favorite Gyuto Length, Favorite Carbon XYZ, Favorite Stainless XYZ, Favorite XYZ Sub-500/Sub-300, etc and so on into infinity or until someone's patience expires.)

It seems like it might be a good way to track trends, opinions, and collate the community's opinions about what is currently available on the market in any given year. There would be legwork at first in order to produce the survey questions and potentially to collate the results, (though perhaps someone here knows a good program or way to do this), but after that it could be reused year upon year.

Anyway, that's just my half-baked idea for the day. I enjoy thinking up work for other people to do.

30. Apr 16, 2019 #30

McMan

McMan

McMan

This is a very cool idea!
    Thanks for volunteering :p