Knife Review - Verissimo knives Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainman890

Reaction score
So, let's start with the specs (From the maker):
180mm nakiri
60mm heel height
2.8-1.5mm spine
219g
Buffalo horn and indian rosewood handle, with a different take on the hierloom fit.
1.2519 high carbon steel, ~63hrc

I saw @Vasco Veríssimo 's work on reddit, and the thing that drew me to it was the yanagi with the kind of rough scale finish on the ura side. And in my quest to dig into western makers, and venture beyond Sweden (where I have knives I love), I figured it was worth a shot. I'm an ex-professional cook, with experience at sashimi bars, so a yanagi would be awesome.

So I ordered one. And a nakiri, because why get one knife when you can get two (and I wanted something for more household use)! The original nakiri was a honyaki, but it didn't work out and I got the opportunity for a wrought iron one.

So this is what I got
:
IMG_20220313_123742.jpg
IMG_20220313_123745.jpg
IMG_20220313_123800.jpg
IMG_20220313_123810.jpg

Now I have a few knives, thanks to this forum and its ability to make one want to keep getting more... My favorite has been the Fredrik Spare bunka I have - just a great all rounder. This Verissimo nakiri is a bit heavier than I'm used to, but I have to say it cuts like a dream!

It glides through carrots (which we cut a lot of in my house) with no wedging, handles mushrooms and onions with no issues, and looks great doing it! I've had it for a few weeks with medium use, and no patina has formed yet that I could spot (these pictures are recent, so they reflect use). The weight hasn't been an issue, and the knife just looks beautiful as well - the banding on the wrought iron is super!

I don't have the experience of many others on this forum (yet), but for me it's like wine - there is clearly good and bad wine, but the best is what you like to drink. Well, I really like to cut with this one, about the same as the Spare bunka. I haven't sharpened it yet, so can't say how it acts on stones, but that will come I guess.

What else goes in one of these reviews? Vasco was a pleasure to deal with, incredibly responsive and open to ideas, and he has a really nice style that is a mix of clean lines and tradition with some really interesting stuff. I'll put pictures of the yanagi below just so you can see it. I haven't bought any fish yet (stupid COVID running through the family), but I'll get to it soon...

Overall, this guy is worthwhile of attention - check him out!

IMG_20220222_144103.jpg

IMG_20220222_144126.jpg

What were the specs on the yanagiba? Was it the same material? Also, what were the prices on like these two knives, if you don't mind sharing?

I absolutely love the uras on Vasco's single bevels. First time I saw one of his yanagibas I thought it looked like the surface of the moon. Looking forward to seeing these in action!

First time I saw the ura on the yanagiba like this, is this on a purpose?

What were the specs on the yanagiba? Was it the same material? Also, what were the prices on like these two knives, if you don't mind sharing?

I absolutely love the uras on Vasco's single bevels. First time I saw one of his yanagibas I thought it looked like the surface of the moon. Looking forward to seeing these in action!
Yanagi was similar steel I think... The price was totally ok for a custom knife, compared to some of the more well-known/sought-after makers, but you should contact him if you're interested.

I also got some patina, look! Must be from the beef stew I made last weekend...
IMG_20220316_172800.jpg

Looks like it is used to mimic the big wheel many Japanese makes use. So you only have two small portions on that side of the knife to worry about when sharpening. Interesting method.

Yes, this is absolutely right. It's another way to achieve the concave urasuki.

I first thought of this method out of necessity, for not having the right tooling to grind the urasuki.
Then after making a few blades like this I started to really like the look of it!

Back