Knife shopping Sakai/ Osaka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David88

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am in Osaka for the next week and looking to do some knife shopping. I’d really like to buy a carbon deba and set of sharpening stones in Sakai and possible one or two other interesting pieces.

I understand that many of the workshops are not on google maps or represented at the major outlets and I’m really interested to spend a day stopping bye smaller shops/ workshops in a hunt for some nice knives. The adventure is half the fun.

Would anybody mind sharing with me if they have found/ know if any special workshops or shops that I would want to check out, especially ones that might not come up in a google search? If anybody has any information they would like to share with me I would be really appreciative.

Also I have been sharpening my knives on a 1000/6000 dual king stone which I’m looking to upgrade to a set of larger stones. Is there anything I should be looking Out for that I can get cheaper here or will prices be the same as online? If anybody knows of a workshop here that will do knife sharpening lessons or let me watch the knife making process I would also love to hear about it.

Thanks for any help and apologies if there is already a thread on this I was unable to find it.

I was just in Kyoto last week. Short ride on the jr west train. I visited 5 shops all of them have wide varieties of carbon single bevel knives. Nashiki market has 3 shops in close proximity. I would recommend going to all three. The best selection of stones both natural and synthetic to be had will be at kikuichimonji. Tons of nice stones. I should add they did not have anyone who spoke any English in that shop but we figured each other out and still bought a beautiful rock well below internet market value. Have fun

If you’re in Osaka, hit up Doguyasuji.

There aren’t any workshops there, just retailers (and tbh it’s kind of a bit of a tourist trap), but it is really fun anyways. Also, the old man at Ichimonji actually knows things about knives and stones and they sell good quality stuff. I don’t think they speak English (but I’m not sure since I was speaking Japanese at the time).

You won’t find any knife sharpening experiences in Sakai or knife making viewing. You need to understand how the Sakai knife making process works.

You have forgers who forge blanks. Usually don’t let anyone in

Grinders who take those blanks and sharpen them. Some will let you view if you’re buying and not wasting time there.

You have more wholesalers who take them after sharpening and put their names on them. They may say they make things but really just put on handles and engrave. They will let you see anything. Even if they have a workshop, but will usually never gets used.

I suggest booking a tour or going through the Sakai Curley museum to do so.

Sakai is a manufacturer city and those who actually make stuff aren’t setup for or like people coming in. So best to get an introduction through someone associated with the area like a private tour. This will also help with translations if you have no Japanese language skills.

Back