Knife Stand Idea

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Migraine

Reaction score
Thinking about having a go at building a stand for my knives.

I like the Japanese style ones like this:

Globalkitchen.japan_wooden_knife_rack3_920x.png

But I'm a bit wary about how exposed the upturned edges are in terms of safety. I'm sure it'd be fine but you know, rather be safe than sorry. Don't think the girl would like them like that either.

Please bask in the glory of my amazing paint skills and let me know what you think my design (hopefully the pictures make sense - they do to me but then I drew them!):

qRa5R90.png

To me it looks like it should work, but I may have missed something glaringly obvious as I have been known in the past to be a moron. Also - anyone who has actual woodworking experience unlike myself - how hard would it be to build? Bearing in mind I have a Dad who I'm sure could be bullied into helping who is pretty handy.

Thanks!

Building one of those would be a piece of cake but I like working with wood in general and always have plenty wood projects going on.However,a knife stand like that is not my recommendation if their are people around who are clumsy (me),or my wife( very clumsy) or my mother in law (blind ) or little kids,or big kids,cats and dogs that might want to lick the blades. See my point? Hence,why I prefer a knife block even though they are disliked by some.

You could add a magnet to the side with the blades to decrease the likelihood of accidental knock offs. This would allow you to eliminate the groove in the blade support so easier in and out. The magnet would hold the blade flat and make accidental cuts very unlikely

You could add a magnet to the side with the blades to decrease the likelihood of accidental knock offs. This would allow you to eliminate the groove in the blade support so easier in and out. The magnet would hold the blade flat and make accidental cuts very unlikely

Yeah prolly a good plan. Ordered some. I'll have a go at making it and post here with the results.

Updated design:

RlSDaPc.png

Bet you weren't expecting to be treated to my frankly stunning paint skills again so soon.

Yeah I was planning to set them up so the pull is quite weak, just a little bit of extra support so the knives aren't purely relying on the slant to stay on the stand.

I made a 10 knife stand in the same style as the original Japanese design in your first post. Looks amazing but I agree is not the safest option.

Your design looks excellent. I would suggest the following based on the results of your current arguably stunning paint skills ...

- The rear supports should be angled back further to provide a much more stable base (not near vertical, as shown)
- Add a connecting piece between the front and rear legs at the very base, and use this to add something heavy to weight the whole stand down. Something like a brick, sharpening stone, sand bag, even a wheat bag would work nicely.

Looking forward to real life photos of the result:)

Try sketching this in 3d sketchup. You will get 3D cad type result. You will see the what this really looks like in 3D. You can measure the build and generate your cut list.

Otherwise built version 1 from cheap pine. Version two after you figure out what you will change.

Given balance points of knives, I don’t see how you need the handle support. It will not hurt, but the blade support with a magnet is all you need.

Think about how you will get the knife off this rack. With magnetic knife bars you twist the handle and pull the spine off. Can you do that here?

Got a nice bit of walnut off ebay. Have a friend who makes guitars who has the machinery and the willing to plane one side down for me to accommodate the handles so I don't need two 'layers' of wood. Dad lad helping me out too, had a long look at plans and everything yesterday.

Looking good!

Instead of the bipod shaped stand you may want to consider more of upside down 7
shape . I have a knife stand like that and it’s very stable . Probably easier to build as well

Instead of the bipod shaped stand you may want to consider more of upside down 7
shape . I have a knife stand like that and it’s very stable . Probably easier to build as well

Yeah I had considered that. Going to get the main bit made and then work out the stand.

Upload the photo to imgur, then click the image button on here and put the imgur link in there.

Turns out my mate owns and operates some of the best and biggest equipment of its type in Europe :D

We (he, while I watched) knocked this up in a couple of hours this morning:

CAKzYv5.jpg
O8340fX.jpg
0Lbd1Mr.jpg

We're going to fill the magnet recesses with some contrasting wood and then it just needs finishing and a stand. Really pleased with how it's come out!

Sorry I know the pictures aren't amazing, have to make do with a phone camera.

Looks good. I wonder if the handle recesses couldn't be a little taller for easy access? Hard to tell from just a pic. But nice work!

I thought that when we were cutting them, but trying it out it's not an issue.

Nice, but it doesn't look like the picture you we're initially going for.

Also, the Japanese knife rack is deceptively simple. The design not only supports the knife but allow them to breathe and prevent rusting.

As your passion and priority for nice knives grow, you'll inevitably own some proper carbon steel Japanese knives in white and blue. You'll have to be immaculate about drying them before putting them back, especially new carbon knives, but even those w patina too.

Your rack is sturdy and well crafted, but given you've wandered well beyond the opening of the rabbit hole what's going to happen with your fourth knife purchase?

I'm currently in the process of buying a Catcheside forged geometry gyuto and having a custom handle made for it. Once that arrives, I will own 3 knives (the Kaeru pictured above is my mum's). I won't be buying any more for a long while after that, not least because I can't afford to.

What I've ended up with isn't much different to the design I drew for the opening post, it's just got individual recesses for the handle rather than a whole recessed side, and the magnets are recessed into the front rather than the back of the wood. I know it's fairly far from the Japanese rack, but that was always the plan as you can see. I'm very happy with it :)

If I buy another knife in future I want to go on the rack, the Tojiro DP will go back to the drawer. I'll never have a big 'collection'. Just not my thing.

Decided we are going to angle the bottom of the front piece of wood just to make 100% sure it won't be able to tip forwards.

Not quite finished!

Back